WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WUS Just joined today and this is my first post.
I will be the first to say that I am just starting to learn as much as I can about the watch world, so therefore I do not have an in depth understanding of watches and their intricacies.
Now, this particular watch just showed up today after a much anticipated wait of a few weeks. I am not new to forums, I am very involved on Audizine and have read the stickies here. I am not even sure that this watch will even be able to be traced back to any particular manufacturer, but any help is appreciated. I picked this up on eBay, because it is Audi related. I am a huge Audi fan and picked it up because 1)It looked cool 2)It is related to Audi 3)Rare enough to where I could not pass it up. All I do know about it is that it is 835 grade silver, the dimensions are; weight 44 grams, width 2.8cm, depth 2.1cm and height 5.1cm, and it still ticks (although I am watching it over the next few days to see how well it keeps time).

Now, onto the pictures.

^^ Size comparison between the Skagen watch from the Audi Collection

Seller Pictures

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Movement pics help a great deal in giving information. Let me repeat this, movement pics! :)

This is a relatively modern watch. It is probably based on a wristwatch movement and would be considered collectible by ... yes, Audi fans! It is already dated. Most likely it was made by a job shop under contract to supply the pendant watch to a specific supplier. General retail sale of these kind of novelty watches is not usual.

I take it the Audi 80 was a competitor to what was sold in the US as the VW Fox??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Movement pics help a great deal in giving information. Let me repeat this, movement pics! :)

This is a relatively modern watch. It is probably based on a wristwatch movement and would be considered collectible by ... yes, Audi fans! It is already dated. Most likely it was made by a job shop under contract to supply the pendant watch to a specific supplier. General retail sale of these kind of novelty watches is not usual.

I take it the Audi 80 was a competitor to what was sold in the US as the VW Fox??
I would love to supply some movement pictures, but I do not know how to go about opening this piece. I can see a gap (see seller photo 4) on the face just before the case, and also at the base of the crown I can see another gap around the base it sits just behind the hinge on the top. Instinctively I would say that I would have to take a small pick and try to lift up the face, but I would not do that until some further insight is given as the best way to attack this.

I imagined it was simply just a PR thing and was produced as some sort of either advertising or as a press release. Perhaps it could have been given to new buyers. If this were the case then I would imagine that finding a specific maker would be difficult.

As for the competitor to the VW Fox, the Audi 80 was called the Audi Fox (from 1973-1979, then called the 4000) in the US. I believe that the VW Fox started in the mid 80's? I am not big on VW history.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts