WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Good day! I bought this McDonald's watch through a local classified ad. I initially thought it would fit my wrist. Apparently the watch won't fit me and I figured it's more suitable for a kid. I have no kids therefore I'm thinking of selling this timepiece. The size of the watch is close to a quarter. At the back of the case, the year 1980 is engraved. In your opinion, how much does this timepiece really go for? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hi there...and welcome to F11......

If you read the sticky you will find that we don't do valuations in this forum....Not sure any members would have an idea anyway as I don't think this is what we would determine as vintage or perhaps collectable...I could be wrong???

Not sure the Hamburgler would steal it as he would rather a burger so perhaps the value is not that high but who knows these days...Probably may have some value to a McDonald paraphernalia collector...

Does it not fit you cos it's the size of a quarter...Whatever that is as I'm in Oz....Or is it the band.....???? The band can be changed so it will fit you.....??? I'm pretty sure these were marketed for children and not adults!!!!

Anyhow as an adult I would wear it as it's kinda cool....I have an image of an bright yellow band...!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Jackruff. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm pretty new in this forum. Well, if people won't do any valuations, I would at least be glad to know what people think about this watch. For knowledge sake, how old should a watch be for it to be considered as vintage?

The size of the watch is about 20 mm. The yellow band would be cool

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It's definitely vintage McDonald's and in there may lie it's value... As James wrote maybe borderline vintage but everyone has their differing options on that subject!! ..Yep I guess 20mm is pretty small but it's not all about size.....as a McDonald burger would be testament to....Perhaps up-size next time.....!!

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Here is an advert from a 1980 magazine to go with your watch.
Cheers, Bob.

IMG_20150318_082632.jpg

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Generally speaking, these watches (along with all the other character watches like Mikey Mouse, Donald Duck, and other far less well known versions like the Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, et al) contain very cheap, simple pin-lever movements in thin chromed cases. Certain specific versions of them have a lot of value, usually based on errors, short production runs, etc. But the vast majority have no real value in and of themselves. They were produced in vast, vast quantities, and the only thing that gives the older versions any value is the fact that 99% of them were destroyed and thrown away decades ago. That's especially true of the more esoteric examples featuring less common characters. Your "Ronald McDonald" probably doesn't fit any of those criteria, so I wouldn't imagine it to have a great deal of value. That said, the older these get, the rarer they become.

Character watches go back to the 30's and 40's; I think Disney popularized them. Some of the most expensive ones are uncommon characters like Betty Boop, Flash Gordon, etc. And Disney would occasional make some "higher grade" versions in gold with decent swiss movements. But the highest prices go for the ones with boxes and papers; having just the watch puts a big crimp in the desirability (again, unless it's an especially rare version).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts