WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
I'd like to know something more about a certain Seiko 5 Automatic. It was bought by my grandfather, when in 1983 he worked on a contract for modernization of electric installations in Baghdad, Iraq. The watch has a day/date window, displaying the day in English and French- depending on the setting, it displays every second position on the day wheel. So... is this a common movement? I also wonder, when the Seiko 5 series was introduced- there are a few generations of those, and I wonder to which one does this piece belong. Here are the pictures. I couldn't take off the case back, though.
IMG_3106_zps9d831d6d.jpg
IMG_3099_zps0c27d978.jpg
IMG_3098_zps1b83d6c6.jpg

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Seiko's '5' is an entry level watch having certain features - one of them being the daydate display. The movement is a 6309 (as indicated by the reference number 6309-8840), and the serial number begins with a 3, indicating a manufacturing date in 1973 or 1983. Best is you google the reference number to find out more.

Best
Tomcat

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seiko's '5' is an entry level watch having certain features - one of them being the daydate display. The movement is a 6309 (as indicated by the reference number 6309-8840), and the serial number begins with a 3, indicating a manufacturing date in 1973 or 1983. Best is you google the reference number to find out more.

Best
Tomcat
It's 1983 positively, then. That's when it was bought- actually, it was bought along with another Seiko 5, though the other had golden hands and golden hour markers- two square markers at 12, single squares at 6 and 9. I still keep both watches. I don't really collect Japanese watches, hence my lack of knowledge about them. Thanks for the info!
mkws

·
Registered
201 Posts
Still being manufactured and virtually unchanged from one in above pics, the SNXS79K

Amazing value and a great performer - I have been wearing mine daily to work for nearly a year and it performs faultlessly. When I had the dial and hands changed they pressure tested it and told me that it was very well constructed with excellent seals

1 - 4 of 4 Posts