WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entries are open.

I know it's early but I'm backing the chalk - Bubba LOUIE!

Here are the rules:

It's a dial.

It's vintage.

It's a second rate or WORSE brand.

It's annual - ends 12/31/18 and we'll poll for the winner in January if any still cares or the hands down winner isn't obvious.

Post'em!

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Second Rate seems a bit harsh!:)
Maybe lower tier would be a better description -second rate seems to infer shoddiness or p*ss poor to me.
That would put many dozens of brands below Patek straight into the trash can :-( (or rubbish bin as we Brits say )

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
The Larex and Pierce are contenders. The Datum and Helbros are not, imo. They have nice dials but nothing we don't see all the time.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,012 Posts
While I don't wish to be a killjoy, I have to say that threads such as these leave me with an uncomfortable feeling in the gastric region. They are meant to be just great fun but have a habit of bringing out the worst in some posters, which generally leads to a bringing out of the worst in a lot of the rest of us. Already the debate of what is a second rate brand is liable to result in a flame war as someone's feelings about his pet brand (e.g. a no name watch inherited or given on special occasion long ago) leads to hurt feelings. Furthermore, the sheer length of time (3/4 of a year) means that I as a moderator won't be permitted to forget about this one for a significant portion of my remaining life and that's something I can actually do without.....

I would therefore make it quite clear at an early stage that as soon as this derails, it's going to be closed. Secondly, I would strongly recommend specifying purpose, end result (some sort of prize?!) and definitions (e.g. of "second rate brand") of the whole kaboodle. Thanks for your cooperation.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 20 of 27 Posts