WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modding orient ray.
Got. 31.5mm dial coming.
Ordered double dome sapphire AR crystal.
Coin edge skx bezel.

Just need to order hands.

But browsing dagaz I see they sell Waterproof silicone. And gasket Greece. Do I need either of these two things for my model. I don’t think I’ve ever read anybody using these when they do a model. But this is my first one. Also I’m swapping out my Orian basil for an SKX basil. So I don’t know if I need to buy a gasket for the basil or if I can use the one that’s in the Orient. Or my better off buying SKX basi waterproof silicone. And gasket Greece. Do I need either of these two things for my model. I don’t think I’ve ever read anybody using these when they do a mod. But this is my first one. Also I’m swapping out my Orian basil for an SKX basil. So I don’t know if I need to buy a gasket for the basil or if I can use the one that’s in the Orient. Or my better off buying SKX bezel gasket

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Pithy is needed here, as he knows everything about the Orian basil, the gasket Greece and the orient ray.
But will only post a tech sheet with no explanation :D

OP,

Using silicone grease on seals is good practice because it helps to prevent them sticking and distorting. That makes it easier to ensure the seals stay where they should as you tighten the back down on them. What it doesn't do is give any real waterproofing itself - it just helps the rubber seals to do their job. It can also make it easier to fit a bezel that's held on by a rubber O ring because it helps the ring to side down over the case. So, no. you don't "need" it but it can help.

On a fairly new watch that hasn't been taken apart before you can probably re-use the old seals (including the bezel retaining ring if it has one). It's not best practice but you'll usually be ok doing it. Having said that, if you get part way through and find that one of the seals is damaged, you'll be stuck until you can order some, and will end up paying extra postage that can end up almost as much as the seals themselves. So, no, you (probably) don't "need new seals but they're a cheap way to help everything go to plan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts