WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my 1st Soviet era Timepiece and was pretty excited! Then I read about all of the counterfeits out there. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if i got a deal or got taken on this. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm pretty happy with the purchase either way but would be even happier knowing it is a legit piece. Thanks!! (i'm a little scared to remove the back btw)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The watch seems OK. The soviets knew how to design a watch dial and hands - Nice find, congrats.

At this price range we do not talk about counterfeits but about frankenwatches - some people build them out of available parts from separate watches. I do not have a problem with it if the result looks good - is the same as the modified new watches (e.g. Seiko are popular choices for mods).

Note that for russian watches there is a dedicated forum so you might get more feedback there.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
That is a very nice Poljot Alarm with 2612 movement. I am no expert on Poljot but that watch is in very good condition, especially the dial and hands, if it is original (looks OK to me) that is an amazing find!

I have my alarm on today as well, although it is a newer production one from Buran (before the brand was sold to a Swiss company) and probably used some of the last 2612 movements produced by Poljot (Volmax). As mentioned, with Russian watches they are very rarely counterfeited and are usually made from spare parts from other similar watches (called a frankenwatch or simply franken), the closest thing you will find to a counterfeit normally is a custom made dial.

20130410_094046.jpg
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Hi Pfunk--
Welcome to the forum! This is a Poljot alarm watch; it should have a 2612.2 movement inside. The upper crown winds the alarm, then you can pull out the crown to set the alarm. Push it back in and it's ready to go, it'll make a "noisy cricket" sound when the hour hand trips the alarm.

There's a thread started not too long ago showing different alarm watches. Though they're not rare, I hope you agree that they're awfully cool (especially for their price) and functional. (Some images are gone because of a server error from the forum, but you'll get the idea: https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/alarm-watches-who-has-one-832787-5.html)

I like your watch in particular, because of the Cyrillic lettering and the textured dial. It also looks to be in very good condition.
Though I'm no expert, everything looks fine to me. The hands look awfully good for a watch made 30 years ago, which might be an indication that they're replacements, but on the other hand everything else is in pretty good condition, so I'd guess that it's genuine.

P.S. -- your post title is "first soviet era Poljot" -- I'm fairly bad at dating, but this watch was not made in the early Soviet era (30s, 40s, 50s) but rather likely quite a bit later. Here's a catalog from 1977 showing watches very similar to yours: https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/1977-catalog-poljot-raketa-luch-slava-wostok-molnja-sviet-441257.html
Someone with more experience can pinpoint that for you. It was, however, made at the "First Moscow Watch Factory," the maker of Poljot watches. Poljot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prices for all Russian/Soviet watches have gone up recently, but they're still usually a good deal for what you get -- really reliable, really interesting, and a fun piece of history. Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I appreciate everyone's candor. I guess I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this were a "frankenwatch" as u all mentioned. I did open the back and movements seem genuine. I'm pretty stoked either way. Point of clarification, I meant it was MY 1st Soviet era watch. I didnt mean to imply I had a first gen. Thanks again guys. I'm excited to have joined. I think I'm hooked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts