WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after much searching I think I've decided on a Ball watch. There are two models I'm considering - The Engineer Hydrocarbon Calssic I and the Moon glow.

I'm leaning towards the Hydrocarbon, because I'm looking for something on the more casual side, but able to cross over on the infrequent "suit occasions"

Any suggestions from owners?

Some specific questions:

I think I need something 4omm or under (my wrist is 7 inches and I'm not tall) - do you think the bulk of the Hydro is too much?

Any opinion between black or white face?

Anyone have any picture of the hydrocarbon on a leather strap?
I'd probably purchase with the bracelet, but I'm much more of a brown leather guy.

Any other help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'll weigh in, for what it's worth.

Given your criteria, I would lean toward the Hydrocarbon for a few reasons. First, it has a unique and beautiful case design. Second, it is versatile enough to serve not only as a dive watch - obviously - but also as a casual or dress watch. The 40mm size makes this possible. The larger Mad Cow (42mm) and Alligator (43mm) versions are not so ideal for dress wear.

The Moon Glow is very nice in its own right, and is a good choice too. It's also a watch that has to be seen to be fully appreciated. The dial details just don't show up well in any pics that I've seen to date. It's a close call, but the Hydrocarbon is just that bit more "special" IMHO.

Color is a personal preference. I am a sucker for white dials and think that all of the white Hydrocarbons are stunning. The Moonglow, in my opinion, looks best in black and especially in blue. The black 3, 6, and 12, and the black 9 o'clock date on the white dial just don't move me, but then again, I'm not a fan of panda dials, even in chronographs.

Ball doesn't offer a leather strap for the Hydrocarbon line, according to a recent post in this thread by Marc (Ball USA's head honcho for national sales). It appears, however, that Ball made at least one before giving up on trying to make a durable leather strap for the Hydrocarbon line:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=97659&highlight=bootlegger

Whatever you get, please let us know and post pics!

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response. I agree the moon glow looks nicer in person than in pics, but I think I may be a little too dress for daily wear (I'll have to try them both again)

I've always liked black faces, but for some reason the Hydrocarbon makes me rethink the white.

Also, I love that leather - If anyone knows where it can still be found or an alternative starp that would help.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Also, I love that leather - If anyone knows where it can still be found or an alternative starp that would help.
There's no reason that I can think of that would prevent you from installing a leather strap. You'd probably just run one of the two lug screw-tubes through the strap hole (the Hydrocarbon, of course, has two lug screw-tubes per side). Such a strap would be straight-end, not curved end like the factor rubber strap that you can buy for the Hydrocarbon.

If you're really serious about getting a curved end leather strap, and can't source one from Ball (I'd give them a try first), you may want to contact Shane DeLaurian ("Shane 1000" on this forum). He might be able to create a custom strap for you. He once expressed an interest in trying to make a custom strap for my Mad Cow, but I never followed through with him.

Rob

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in your thinking, but did you look at the Magnate??? I know I'm biased as that will be my next Ball, but it is if I am not mistaken the same case as the Hydrocarbon, but without the diver bezel, dressier yet sporty. Also it has a solid dial without the pattern............just a thought.

To answer your question though:-d the Hydrocarbon:-!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to throw a wrench in your thinking, but did you look at the Magnate??? I know I'm biased as that will be my next Ball, but it is if I am not mistaken the same case as the Hydrocarbon, but without the diver bezel, dressier yet sporty. Also it has a solid dial without the pattern............just a thought.

To answer your question though:-d the Hydrocarbon:-!
I did look at the Magnate (in person), but I really didn't like the magnified date. It was a little overpowering for me.

On the post above. thanks. If i decide on the hydrocarbon, I'll definately look into a custom strap

·
Registered
767 Posts
Much as I like most of the Ball designs, I'll go out on a limb here and profess that the Hydrocarbons are not my favourites. For me personally the choice would be an easy one -- the Moon Glow is a unique watch and highlights Ball's use of the GTLS. As you say, on the wrist it looks way better than photographs would suggest. And it's not strictly speaking a dress watch, I would have no problem wearing this casually and it would look really smart!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Well, if I have to choose only one of what's listed I would choose the Hydrocarbon. It is always gets my attention and after trying one on (finally), I have to say it has a great wrist feel and the crown system that I was worried about creates no discomfort whatsoever.

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
I agree with the Hydrocarbon... and imho the white dial and blued hands make for a very classy, somewhat dressy look. Even on the rubber strap, it has a certain elegance... ;-)

·
Registered
944 Posts
As much as i like the "moonie" i would pick the Hydrocarbon in White (i'm alittle biased) being a White "Cow" owner;-) The Hydro's wear smaller than their apperance,and are Very comfortable:-! Best to try them on again:think: Happy Hunting|>

·
Registered
321 Posts
A vote for Moonglow. I've got one in black and really works well for the business causal setting of my office. It also looks great with a casual look of jeans and a tee-shirt. Also, as stated already, the dial has to be seen in the flesh to be really appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the back and forth.

And now see why my decision is so tough. I'll have to back to the dealer to try them both again.

My trepidation with the Moon Glow was the more polished look - not sure if it might be too dressy for my lifestyle - though it's pretty unique, colored face is awesome and it has left wrist heft than the hydrocarbon.

The Hydrocarbon - definately more versatile for me, just got to retry for heft and consider the strap (I'm definately a leather strap guy).

the more I consider the more I'm drawn to the white face (even though I've always gone black)

anyone own the black face hydro want to give their sales pitch?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I wear a Moonphase on calf and it is that perfect mix between dressy and casual, and fits well with a jacket and slacks, or jeans and a t-shirt as well.

To me, the Moonglow is similiar, and for sure the Hydrocarbon is the sportier of the watches. Or you can always buy both and make life easy. That's what I wound up doing, and have the Moonphase and the NightTrain. I even have extra straps so I can put the Moonie on croc, and the NT on rubber if I want to create more distinction. Right now, both are on calf straps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts