WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife went out and bought me a G7900-1 for Christmas and didn't tell me. At the same time, I ordered a GD350-8 from Amazon.

I like them both, but now I'm torn. I can't see myself keeping two as I have a watch I wear to work with a suit, so I'm only keeping one. Anyone have both and have a favorite? I'm going to be using it mainly for lap swimming in chlorinated pool, lake swimming in summer, running and chasing our kids around the house.

I joined this forum a few days ago and love the honest opinions and camaraderie of the membership. I've spent way too much time looking at these forums while I wait for the GD350 to arrive.

Thanks for any opinions!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Damn I was looking forward to a game of "Eliminator"... but I have neither and shouldnt give a vote then... I do predict a big fanbase for the GD-350 though... lets see what tomorrow brings!
my only advice is the one you know: keep them both! Or on second thought: keep the gift! it has more meaning than the order from amazon.
but since that one was not expensive I return to my initial reaction: keep. them. both.
not being helpful? lets see how many more vote for keeping both, I predict another landslide....

·
Registered
767 Posts
Damn I was looking forward for a game of "Eliminator"... but I have neither and shouldnt give a vote then... I do predict a big fanbase for the GD-350 though... lets see what tomorrow brings!
my only advice is the one you know: keep them both! Or on second thought: keep the gift! it has more meaning than the order from amazon.
but since that one was not expensive I return to my initial reaction: keep. them. both.
not being helpful? lets see how many more vote for keeping both, I predict another landslide....
Agreed. Unless you're strapped for cash, keep them both.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Your wife know about the Amazon order? You clearly ordered the one you truly want, either way get rid of the GD350. Don't piss off your wife, and don't let her acknowledge hidden purchases

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That's a tough one, these are two of my favorite (non-master) G-Shocks. I have both and both have their place in my collection. In fact, even as I'm thinning my collection of basic G's, I'm fairly certain that these are two I'll definitely hold on to. I live on the coast, and the 7900 is my Kayak/beach watch due to the tide feature. The GD-350, on the other hand, is my go-to watch for anytime I use a timer. I use it to time my dog walks, workouts, even to keep track of Ebay auctions when I'm around the house. I feel it has a great deal of functionality for the price and a great display. It sounds to me as if the 350 might be the way to go for you as long as you have no use for the tide feature, and more importantly that your wife would not be offended if you return of the 7900.

All that being said, and this being F17, I feel it is my obligation to tell you....KEEP BOTH!

·
Premium Member
13,984 Posts
For me it was easy. I had 4 G-7900's at one point. Foolishly sold them all. I bought a GD-350 and returned it in under 1 hour from delivery and have since bought back another G-7900.The fits me better and has everything I need. Return the GD-350 and keep the G-7900. IMO Casio's EL is better on the eyes than the bright white LED's.

·
Registered
767 Posts
IMO Casio's EL is better on the eyes than the bright white LED's.
I need to go to the store to see the 350's LED in person. Is it about the same as a GD100/GD110?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Easy decision....keep both. Don't insult the woman by returning her gift. Wear the one you want.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
That's a tough one, these are two of my favorite (non-master) G-Shocks. I have both and both have their place in my collection. In fact, even as I'm thinning my collection of basic G's, I'm fairly certain that these are two I'll definitely hold on to. I live on the coast, and the 7900 is my Kayak/beach watch due to the tide feature. The GD-350, on the other hand, is my go-to watch for anytime I use a timer. I use it to time my dog walks, workouts, even to keep track of Ebay auctions when I'm around the house. I feel it has a great deal of functionality for the price and a great display. It sounds to me as if the 350 might be the way to go for you as long as you have no use for the tide feature, and more importantly that your wife would not be offended if you return of the 7900.

All that being said, and this being F17, I feel it is my obligation to tell you....KEEP BOTH!

Why do I even bother to read the five lines of prose when line #6 is the answer? AAARRGGHH!! o| o| o|

Also - you time your dog walks?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Why do I even bother to read the five lines of prose when line #6 is the answer? AAARRGGHH!! o| o| o|

As I was typing I was thinking the same thing, I'm just gonna suggest he should keep both in the end. G-shock collecting is madness.

Also - you time your dog walks?
Haha! I should have been more clear with that one. I use the stopwatch to keep track of how long I walked. I'm OCD but not that OCD. But I almost always wear the GD350 for dog walks. Sometimes I even think he can tell that it's time to go when I grab it off the desk.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
if in some bizzaro world where you're only allowed 2 watches (one dress, one "other"), keep the one you bought. your wife obviously wanted to buy you something you liked so unless shes some crazy b.... she should be more than happy for you to keep the one you like more.

back in the real world however, why cant you have 2 "other" watches? will you be homeless if you kept it or will you be totes stoked that you have two new watches to alternate between (and use their respective functions accordingly)?

still not sure? i'll leave you with this...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 350 isn't solar and as far as I'm concerned-- you'll have a g-shock until you need to change the batt and then it'll no longer be 20bar waterproof.
Go for the 7900!!
Go solar!!
Go for the one that won't get you into the doghouse with the wife!!
:).

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The 350 isn't solar and as far as I'm concerned-- you'll have a g-shock until you need to change the batt and then it'll no longer be 20bar waterproof.
Go for the 7900!!
Go solar!!
Go for the one that won't get you into the doghouse with the wife!!
:).
The G7900-1 is not a solar, in fact only 2 years of battery life.

For the OP, both watches are pretty evenly matched, there's no wrong choice really. For EL, moon/tide and dual stopwatch, go for the G7900. For more time zones, vibe alarm, a timer that can adjust down to seconds and showing on main display, plus longer battery life, go for the GD350.

If you do decided to keep both or return the one from the wifey, get yourself a military watch cover such as below. Although the double buckle pretty much give the GD350 away... ;-)

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi
1 - 20 of 37 Posts