WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-! The 42mm Ocean1 and Mach1 Chrono:-! Two great watches I enjoy very much. I own 5 now and will buy more:thanks And I DO NOT WORK FOR STEINHART!!o| :rodekaart ;-)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
:-s You mean to tell me that all others have originals:-s There isn't a watch company out there that hasn't copied another at one time or other:oops:

Yep!! They all do it just look around

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Great watches George!!
I love the classic design of the Ocean 1 and also the unique design of the Mach 1. I prefer the more pronounced tachy bezel on the Mach 1.
Steinhart provides a quality product at a good price.

·
Registered
785 Posts
George - One of the better watches for the money |>

I have two Steinharts I acquired just three weeks ago.

The 42mm case seems the perfect size for me. I realized the nice
fit and machining upon sizing the bracelet. The threaded screws had
longer than normal screwed ends - and the links and screws seemed
finely machined. My Sinn U1 is better - But in a different bracket and
price.
Congratulations on your newly acquired watches - If problems
arise in the future - it's nice to know they will be resolved promptly.
Here's my two - the GMT is about 4 seconds fast/24hr. - I'm happy!

·
Registered
40,444 Posts
:-d :-d :-d Don't have one nor will I ever, but I do sell em. Wannabe watches probably would make great land fill. Then again, they just might
polute everything. Hazardous land fill is just plain nasty. TO THE CRUSHER!
:-d :-d
:-d I thought you were talking about the Skeena River:-d And you were going to through your Rolex in it after you saw my Steinhart!!:-d :-d

·
Registered
641 Posts
Alty, your red one is a stunner. You really can't go calling that a knock-off either. No one is going to mistake that one for a Rolex.

·
Registered
95 Posts
:-d :-d :-d Don't have one nor will I ever, but I do sell em. Wannabe watches probably would make great land fill. Then again, they just might
I'm curious what your opinion of Nomos and Dornbluth is. Both produce watches that could correctly be described as derivative, in terms of the styling. The Nomos Tangente is a direct rip-off of an earlier Stowa watch with only very minor design changes. The Dornbluths look almost identical to the Stowa MO. I am sure there are other examples, but I'm too ignorant to find any.

I guess this leads me to ask you at what point does a watch stop being a nice design, even though it looks almost exactly like another, and become a loathsome wannabe?

The only differentiating factor I can see is the price and build quality. And even then the build quality would seem to be more than good enough for 95% of us 99.99% of the time. Fortunately my bath is not 200m deep.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
George - One of the better watches for the money |>

I have two Steinharts I acquired just three weeks ago.

The 42mm case seems the perfect size for me. I realized the nice
fit and machining upon sizing the bracelet. The threaded screws had
longer than normal screwed ends - and the links and screws seemed
finely machined. My Sinn U1 is better - But in a different bracket and
price.
Congratulations on your newly acquired watches - If problems
arise in the future - it's nice to know they will be resolved promptly.
Here's my two - the GMT is about 4 seconds fast/24hr. - I'm happy!

Thanks,
I agree with you. I own the same GMT as you do. It is awesome:-!

·
Registered
40,444 Posts
:) Like them both, but my taste run elsewhere. Haven't seen the new
Nomos auto yet, that one I'd wear.
I'm curious what your opinion of Nomos and Dornbluth is. Both produce watches that could correctly be described as derivative, in terms of the styling. The Nomos Tangente is a direct rip-off of an earlier Stowa watch with only very minor design changes. The Dornbluths look almost identical to the Stowa MO. I am sure there are other examples, but I'm too ignorant to find any.

I guess this leads me to ask you at what point does a watch stop being a nice design, even though it looks almost exactly like another, and become a loathsome wannabe?

The only differentiating factor I can see is the price and build quality. And even then the build quality would seem to be more than good enough for 95% of us 99.99% of the time. Fortunately my bath is not 200m deep.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Beautiful watches, George. The more I see of Steinhart, the more I want one.

Thank you for reminding me exactly why I don't frequent this forum. Why post this? What's the point? Why did you even open this thread when the title made it clear the subject was a brand you find utterly distasteful? I don't get it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
:) Like them both, but my taste run elsewhere. Haven't seen the new
Nomos auto yet, that one I'd wear.
I don't see how you can like the Dornbluth and Nomos - which are near exact copies of earlier designs - and yet slag off the Steinhart because they are copies of an earlier design (assuming I understand your reasons).

Highly respected companies such as Orient and Seiko do near copies of the Rolex Submariner. Orient also do near copies of other Rolex models. It seems to be a tradition in the watch world that classic designs are copied.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anyone done a comparison between a Steinhart, and say a Rolex, in terms of the fit and finish of the case? (I assume it is a given that the Rolex movement will be better, and the Rolex sealing will be better too.)

I do not work for Steinhart, and have never seen one, but I am curious how they compare.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts