WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive the lack of polish in the writing and the poor quality of the photos. You are getting a report on the same day the watches were received.

I have been waiting for a long time for a decent World War Two era Glashutte Type-59 Tutima Urofa flyback chrono to become available at a price I can afford. It finally happened... and as a bonus I got a Russian Type-59 in the deal that is in the best unrestored condition I have ever seen.

The German piece, is in great shape, except for the fact that the radioactive lume was scraped off the dial. The serial number is 211925. It was made sometime between 1940 and 1945 (I am sure there are production records that can be checked somewhere). This is the only non-Russian watch in my collection, but given the history of the Russian Type-59 pieces it sure belongs here.

The Russian 'Kirowa' piece is truly beautiful. Everything on the dial is original, including the red painted sweep second hand. The radium lume lights up my Dosimeter like a Christmas tree. This piece was assembled at the First Moscow Watch Factory from German parts on German machines confiscated from the Tutima factory in Glashutte as war reparations, probably in 1947, shortly after the machines were set up in Moscow. The serial number, which was probably stampted on the bridge while the part was still in Germany, is 218052. The only major flaw is the worn upper pusher, which can be swapped from one of my other 'less beautiful' pieces.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, here is a rough translation of a paragraph from an article on German military time pieces by K. KNIRIM, author of "Militaruhren" which (I am told) is the bible of German military watches.

"With the end of the war in 1945, the still-existing stocks of timepieces at Glashuette, together with part of the production lines and the testing equipment of Gesundbrunnen near Dresden, were sent to the Soviet Union as 'reparation' payments. Tutima pilot chronographs were brought in transport boxes to the Soviet headquarters in Dresden. By August 8, 1945, all production lines of the UFAG and the UROFA (initials of manufacturing companies in Glashuette) movements were dismounted and on the way to Moscow. Recently, I saw a Tutima chronograph in bad condition, which was marked on the dial with the cyrillic letters 'First Moscow Watch Factory Kirowa'."

I now have five Type-59 pieces and am missing only one model variation -- the version with the First Moscow Watch Factory diamond logo on the dial instead of the more common Kirowa logo.

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

P.S. Does anyone know how to move the photo attachments around so they appear in the order you want them to be in?

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congratulations on the new aquisitions, you are a very lucky collector indeed.
I was watching an auction on the bay awhile ago, of a wartime Tutima chrono in a decent shape that ended up at about $5,000 if memory serves me well. I therefore think of an original Urofa/Glasshuete selling for no less though; and the russian replica as well. You must have your sources since these pieces do not show up for auction on the bay.
Anyway, congratulations again.

Mark Gordon said:
Forgive the lack of polish in the writing and the poor quality of the photos. You are getting a report on the same day the watches were received.

I have been waiting for a long time for a decent World War Two era Glashutte Type-59 Tutima Urofa flyback chrono to become available at a price I can afford. It finally happened... and as a bonus I got a Russian Type-59 in the deal that is in the best unrestored condition I have ever seen.

The German piece, is in great shape, except for the fact that the radioactive lume was scraped off the dial. The serial number is 211925. It was made sometime between 1940 and 1945 (I am sure there are production records that can be checked somewhere). This is the only non-Russian watch in my collection, but given the history of the Russian Type-59 pieces it sure belongs here.

The Russian 'Kirowa' piece is truly beautiful. Everything on the dial is original, including the red painted sweep second hand. The radium lume lights up my Dosimeter like a Christmas tree. This piece was assembled at the First Moscow Watch Factory from German parts on German machines confiscated from the Tutima factory in Glashutte as war reparations, probably in 1947, shortly after the machines were set up in Moscow. The serial number, which was probably stampted on the bridge while the part was still in Germany, is 218052. The only major flaw is the worn upper pusher, which can be swapped from one of my other 'less beautiful' pieces.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, here is a rough translation of a paragraph from an article on German military time pieces by K. KNIRIM, author of "Militaruhren" which (I am told) is the bible of German military watches.

"With the end of the war in 1945, the still-existing stocks of timepieces at Glashuette, together with part of the production lines and the testing equipment of Gesundbrunnen near Dresden, were sent to the Soviet Union as 'reparation' payments. Tutima pilot chronographs were brought in transport boxes to the Soviet headquarters in Dresden. By August 8, 1945, all production lines of the UFAG and the UROFA (initials of manufacturing companies in Glashuette) movements were dismounted and on the way to Moscow. Recently, I saw a Tutima chronograph in bad condition, which was marked on the dial with the cyrillic letters 'First Moscow Watch Factory Kirowa'."

I now have five Type-59 pieces and am missing only one model variation -- the version with the First Moscow Watch Factory diamond logo on the dial instead of the more common Kirowa logo.

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

P.S. Does anyone know how to move the photo attachments around so they appear in the order you want them to be in?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mark Gordon said:

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

Did you see the issues of the 'Uhren Magazin' 10, 11 and 12 from 1998?
There is an extensive article from Altmeppen about these Tutimas and other early chronos. The russians took about 14.500 K 59 movements with them.
The article contains list of all the items taken to Moscow, very interesting.

-- Dieter

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Mark Gordon said:
... This is the only non-Russian watch in my collection, but given the history of the Russian Type-59 pieces it sure belongs here...
We will overlook this serious misconduct Mark, but only this once!

Just kidding.

Spectacular indeed!

OKEAH

·
Registered
432 Posts
just like the single button chrono there should be a limit of 2 per forum member of these watches, so i would like to volunteer to take one of the excess off your hands. very nice watch, i keep looking for these old classics but i have no luck you must have good sources.

·
Registered
668 Posts
:gold :gold :gold

·
Registered
4 Posts

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

hi can you help me iv got a glashutte tutima luftwaffe 1941.1996 im looking to sell this watch and if you can let me no its value and history behind this watch would be very most appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

hi i no the straps are not off the watch

WHAT A GREAT WEEK ! ! !

-- Mark

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
A copy using a model issued by Poljot in the 1990s with a fake Tutima dial. I doubt Tutima anything to do with this. Poljot issued this with a Buran (ВУРАН) dial. Google Buran 3133 and you’ll see what It it originally was.

There is nothing rare about it and probably can still be found for sale online. A decent beater though.

·
Registered
Vostok Amphibia 090 - hand built
2,318 Posts
You prob did want the radium erased before you got it, that stuff is nasty nasty radioactive damage for the body and its at its worst in particle form or dust where it lodges in the lungs too heavy to shift by normal means and it then starts causing havoc in the cellular parts of the lungs... not very nice at all :(

Even tritium powder has its inherent risks apparently, I do have a set from the US of tiny little tritium tube markers somewhere, tiny hairlike capsules that glow surprisingly bright but haven't found anything really they would fit on, you can get a set on ebay quite cheaply.

And with modern superluminova easily bought, nothing quite glows as bright as the new stuff and it binds so well with a clearcoat. My sterile Bliger has 2 stage lume on the dial and hands, it changes from bright orange to yellow then as it accretes more light, changes to a bright green, really cool stuff.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
A copy using a model issued by Poljot in the 1990s with a fake Tutima dial. I doubt Tutima anything to do with this. Poljot issued this with a Buran (ВУРАН) dial. Google Buran 3133 and you'll see what It it originally was.

There is nothing rare about it and probably can still be found for sale online. A decent beater though.
Second this. This is NOT a real Tutima watch. This is a homage....

Also, it is NOT radioactive (because it was not made that long ago).

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,805 Posts
To clarify, this is not an orginal Luftwaffe Tutima, or a Soviet-built model of the same pattern (which is obvious if you compare with Mark's examples in the start of this thread), or even a 'homage' or a 'reissue'. It is a fake; a counterfeit that illegally uses the Tutima brand name. As Ham said, it started out as a Poljot Buran before it was altered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts