WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Although I try not to buy anything produced after the mid 70's for my collection I picked up these in a store here in Shanghai because they're automatic.
Can anyone here please help me figure out if they're based on the normal ZSH movement or if they're part of the later SS8 series?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Did they have any stainless steel models?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, and they're just as ugly. I actually visited a store on Saturday that had tons of the later shanghai watches, NOS. The latest of the 7120's, SS7, SS8 and lady ss5's. I'll try to take a picture some day. I think they were 60rmb for manual wind and 85rmb for automatics, no strap included.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,196 Posts
The equivalent model from ZuanShi was available in stainless steel, however the similarity in case shape may be incidental if the two factories were building their own cases.

The Diamond/ZuanShi version sits high on the wrist due to the shallow case and deeply dished caseback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, and they're just as ugly. I actually visited a store on Saturday that had tons of the later shanghai watches, NOS. The latest of the 7120's, SS7, SS8 and lady ss5's. I'll try to take a picture some day. I think they were 60rmb for manual wind and 85rmb for automatics, no strap included.
ugly?
i had the stainless steel one around my wrist every day:-d
the mode is SBIH on its back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
I am not sure if these are not stainless steel cases. Many are titanium plated that look like brass.

Diamond, Chunlei, Baoshihua also made watches with SS8 movements. Some look nicer than these two Shanghai model.:-d

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,173 Posts
I really like the way my similar Zuan Shi looks on my wrist...they have a beautiful brushed finish on the case, and early "B"-marked Shanghai B movements.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Sheeesh! I read this for the umpteenth time and it finally made some sense. The Shanghai SS8 is called quite a few different names.

SS8 Series
SS8 movement, slim. Called SS8, SB1H, SZB-1, B.
EDIT: Just found these on Taobao. Some marked as 8120, some not.

SBIH (or SB1H) mechanicals, 17 jewels, with no date, date, & day/date.

SBIHZ (or SB1HZ) automatics, 35 jewels with date, day/date, and even more variants.

Cheers,
gigfy

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
Do you have photos of the 8120 caseback?!
Could you tell us a bit about the SS8 movement? How does it relate to the standard ZSH movement of the 71xx/SS7 series?
Cheers

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,196 Posts
Hi,
Could you tell us a bit about the SS8 movement? How does it relate to the standard ZSH movement of the 71xx/SS7 series?
Cheers
The SS8/SB1 was a joint project between the Shanghai Watch Factory and the ZuanShi (Diamond) Watch Factory. For ZuanShi it was intended to replace the SM1A, and Shanghai used it as a higher grade movement than the ZSH/SS7. Maybe it was supposed to be a replacement but it never turned out that way.

The SB1Z automatics later became the basis for many of the basic range of Shanghai movements now in production, most particularly the GMT movement favoured by many of the 'Germasian' brands. One curious detail is that both the ZSH standard movement and the SB1 can fit many of the same dial-side modules for dual-time, triple-calendar, retrograde-seconds etc, that Shanghai produces.

Development continues on the movement formerly known as SS8. Alex from Perpetual recently reported that the auto-winding module has recently been revised, and I noticed that the crown wheel has been simplified. Neither looks like a change for the better in my opinion, but at least it shows that the company is continuing to invest in this movement.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hi,
Cheers
Here is one that was described as a 8120 model.

And here are more SBIH models.

And even a Chunlei marked as having a SBIH movement.

Here is a comparision of the 17 jewel SBIH & 19 jewel ZSH movements. The first thing I notice is the SBIH has 4 jewels on the main plate and balance at 12 whereas the ZSH only has 3 jewels on the mainplate and balance at 9.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Wonderful watches. Congratulations!!. How much did you pay for them?
They are not mine, I just grabbed pictures off of Taobao for reference. Well, I can take credit for the ZSH at the very bottom. :)

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
50 Posts
I asked about Ken Kurt watches. I am interesed in prices in the local shop in Shanghai. Gigfy watches from taobao are great. It is amazing what we can discover on taobao!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
autos are 65-85rmb, manuals 60-65 depending on negotiating skills. A chinese person would probably pay less...!
If anyone is interested I'll scan the business card for the shop

·
Premium Member
22,601 Posts
Hi Kent, if you get the chance, I would be interested in a scan of the business card. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts