WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this sucks...I've had my Engineer Master II Marvelight for a little over 2 weeks now and went on a trip to Hawaii this week; and I've got significant moisture under the crystal. I've never showered with the watch on, much less submerged it in anyway. It appears the humid environment in Hawaii caused the moisture to accumulate? Crown is fully tightened, assuming the caseback or seals are defective.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wow, I've never seen that happen. Obviously you need to contact Ball, either through your local AD or directly, depending on how you bought it.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
If you bought new, and under warranty, don't tell us about it, bring it to the Ball dealer you bought it from, and get it repaired or replaced--that obviously should not happen--pretty simple.

IF, however, you bought graymarket or used, then there is a strong likelihood that the case was opened before you got it, even if the seller claimed it to be new, and was not sealed properly--in this latter case, this is not an issue with Ball, but with the previous owner.

Which is it?

·
Premium Member
19,949 Posts
Wow @trappster, that is a very bad incident of moisture.

It sucks but as @timefleas said it, warranty is covered by Ball Watch if you’re the first owner and bought from a Ball Watch AD. The warranty must also have been activated.

Tough luck if it’s from a grey dealer because the Ball warranty is not transferable. And as he said, it is likely the watch case had been opened.

None of this information was mentioned in your post.

Irrespective of whether you bought from an AD or grey, the watch needs to be opened up and cleaned before any corrosion sets in.

·
Registered
29,160 Posts
Yikes! Look like my shower door after a long steam bath.

Good luck. Get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Purchased brand new, warranty is valid. Emailed the authorized dealer that I purchased from, will also be contacting ball once I'm back home from Hawaii next week and have access to my warranty info.

·
Premium Member
19,949 Posts
Purchased brand new, warranty is valid. Emailed the authorized dealer that I purchased from, will also be contacting ball once I'm back home from Hawaii next week and have access to my warranty info.
Good news then! It’s a relief that you’re covered. Should come back looking new.

A bummer that it’s happened on a new watch

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sucks but at least your covered. I myself have owned various watches over the years both Grey Market and via AD's. The plus in your situation is it will be fixed at no cost to you. While annoying to have to deal with even the best of watch makers have one slip through the cracks from time to time. I had a Jaeger Lecoultre Master Chronograph (9.4k watch) that was a complete disaster years ago so it can happen to even the best. But hey if going AD that's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Nice, and exactly how woud you be forcing them to give you a new watch versus performing s repair?
Yes, I was thinking the same thing--just doesn't work that way--but since the watch was bought from an AD, and is still under warranty, I am sure the OP will get the problem resolved, though of course a bummer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The same thing happened to my brother last month when he went from Colorado to the Caribbean. Did you set the time when you were in Hawaii, and that’s when the condensation appeared? Do you live at altitude? Might be caused by a slight inrush of air from setting the time at sea level. (But you probably already thought of that) i know a good watch repair guy in Honolulu if you are “off warrenty” and want to get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice, and exactly how woud you be forcing them to give you a new watch versus performing s repair?
I would have paid with a credit card, called the credit card company and disputed the purchase by explaining I paid for a NEW watch, not a repaired one. Given the two week ownership period, I think that's a reasonable request. Once that thing fogged up, so did the movement inside, so its likely a complete rebuild anyway for the watch company. Why should I wait for weeks/months for them to repair it when it was their defective product in the first place.

The last time I had reason to inquire about credit card purchase disputes I seem to recall them saying they'll refund your money first, and then go after the vendor for reimbursement. Even if they don't ultimately get the money back from the vendor, you keep your refund, so they seemed to be very customer-centric in their handling of disputes. I guess they just write it off if they can't get the money back from the vendor. In the end the issue was resolved without needing a dispute, so I never followed through with it to see how the whole process plays out.

edit: I had a similar experience a few months ago with a new watch I purchased. I reached into my pocket for some change, and the crown/winding stem must have snagged on the pocket because it pulled out in the process. My watch was also about 2 weeks old, I wasn't given a repair time window, they ordered me a new watch. Maybe in the impersonal Internet world things work a bit differently, which is why you need the credit card company in your corner if it comes to that, but any AD with any sense of customer service should just order you a new watch. And if they don't treat you that way, don't be a pussy, complain until they do what you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The same thing happened to my brother last month when he went from Colorado to the Caribbean. Did you set the time when you were in Hawaii, and that’s when the condensation appeared? Do you live at altitude? Might be caused by a slight inrush of air from setting the time at sea level. (But you probably already thought of that) i know a good watch repair guy in Honolulu if you are “off warrenty” and want to get it fixed ASAP.
Live at 50 ft elevation, did not change the time when arriving in Hawaii.

Put the watch in a sealed bag with desiccant and the crown unscrewed for the last 2 days, screwed the crown back in fully and within a couple hours there's moisture appearing again.

Should hear back form the AD tomorrow, we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
If you bought new, and under warranty, don't tell us about it, bring it to the Ball dealer you bought it from, and get it repaired or replaced--that obviously should not happen--pretty simple.

IF, however, you bought graymarket or used, then there is a strong likelihood that the case was opened before you got it, even if the seller claimed it to be new, and was not sealed properly--in this latter case, this is not an issue with Ball, but with the previous owner.

Which is it?
Whether the watch was new or not, warranty or not, it is still worth sharing ones experience.

Now out of curiosity sake, can you explain why 'if' the watch was grey market, the reason there would be a strong likelihood the case was opened beforehand?

I would have paid with a credit card, called the credit card company and disputed the purchase by explaining I paid for a NEW watch, not a repaired one. Given the two week ownership period, I think that's a reasonable request. Once that thing fogged up, so did the movement inside, so its likely a complete rebuild anyway for the watch company. Why should I wait for weeks/months for them to repair it when it was their defective product in the first place.

The last time I had reason to inquire about credit card purchase disputes I seem to recall them saying they'll refund your money first, and then go after the vendor for reimbursement. Even if they don't ultimately get the money back from the vendor, you keep your refund, so they seemed to be very customer-centric in their handling of disputes. I guess they just write it off if they can't get the money back from the vendor. In the end the issue was resolved without needing a dispute, so I never followed through with it to see how the whole process plays out.

edit: I had a similar experience a few months ago with a new watch I purchased. I reached into my pocket for some change, and the crown/winding stem must have snagged on the pocket because it pulled out in the process. My watch was also about 2 weeks old, I wasn't given a repair time window, they ordered me a new watch. Maybe in the impersonal Internet world things work a bit differently, which is why you need the credit card company in your corner if it comes to that, but any AD with any sense of customer service should just order you a new watch. And if they don't treat you that way, don't be a pussy, complain until they do what you want.
If there was an issue and the company was not willing to replace the watch, this is exactly how it should be handled/dealt with, and how I would go about it as well. I would like to think the AD has a responsibility to take care of the customer in the most efficient and proper way possible, and replacing the watch covers that. Too many pussies in the world who accept crap customer service.

I have taken various watches (dress and dive) with me on vacations for years, and regardless of the humidity, opening the crown to reset the time has never caused an issues, nor should it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would like to think the AD has a responsibility to take care of the customer in the most efficient and proper way possible, and replacing the watch covers that. Too many pussies in the world who accept crap customer service.
yeah, I was surprised at the number of negative responses I got to my original comment.

Kinda ironic that this is a Ball forum, since nobody here seems to have any.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Now out of curiosity sake, can you explain why 'if' the watch was grey market, the reason there would be a strong likelihood the case was opened beforehand?
Because graymarket stocks come from many different sources, including store close outs, open stock show room items, returns, over stock and so forth--many, therefore, have been opened up, repaired, refurbished by manufacturer and so forth--as discussed in many threads here on WUS...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts