WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember an article about a watch that could dive to 20,000 ft. This was probably 10-12 years ago. I cant remember the manufacturer or the price, but do remember the watch looked nice and claimed to be liquid silicon filled to withstand the pressure. Just curious if anybody else remembers this watch or if it was just someones pipe dream. thanx

B

·
Registered
406 Posts

http://www.kienzle.it/index_eng.html

Well there's this one, Kienzle Deepest Hyperbar Extreme (though 1200 ATM WR is more than 20000 ft) and it almost matches (actually, exceeds) the description. The price seems to be €900 which isn't too bad for that kind of a watch. It's filled with some kind of a liquid as well.

By the way, I wonder how a liquid-filled watch can function normally, especially a quartz analog one like this one. Anyone knows if it's some special kind of a movement or just a regular one?

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Isn't there some issue with these liquid filled extreme divers? I remember that something in the quartz movement gets crushed or siezes up or something at depth. MTM had a 10,000m diver (looked very similar to the one above) but no longer, I think becasue of this issue.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
That depth rating pole vaults over the so silly it's stupid line....

...yet it's just so so cool.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Isn't there some issue with these liquid filled extreme divers? I remember that something in the quartz movement gets crushed or siezes up or something at depth. MTM had a 10,000m diver (looked very similar to the one above) but no longer, I think becasue of this issue.
You are right. From what I understand, most liquid filled watches have extreme pressure resistance, eg Sinn UX case is rated for the bottom of the deepest oceans, BUT.. the quartz movements crush at 5000mtrs. Hence the watch itself is rated 5000mtrs, the quartz being the limiting factor.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,937 Posts
I seem to remember an article about a watch that could dive to 20,000 ft. This was probably 10-12 years ago. I cant remember the manufacturer or the price, but do remember the watch looked nice and claimed to be liquid silicon filled to withstand the pressure. Just curious if anybody else remembers this watch or if it was just someones pipe dream. thanx

B
Let's think about this for a moment. In which situation would a diver and his watch be operating at such a depth. The reality is a watch rated to operate at that level is useful only for winning the 'Mine Is Bigger Than Yours" contest. It's analagous to high jewel counts in watches or high horsepower numbers in cars.

Indeed, 300 meters or 900 feet is a long ways down and very few of us really operate in the water at that depth. It's certainly possible to operate in a diving vessel in much deeper waters, but neither diver nor watch experience the crushing outside pressure.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I just find it hilarious that a watch that'll survive in waters that would have crushed a World War II U-boat (200-300 m) is now at the shallow end of dive watch depth ratings.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Those subs weren't liquid filled.
Well they sure were after they passed 300 m...

though that said, I was really just pointing out that we have pleanty of really nice, non-liquid filled watches that will still be ticking well past the point that those old U-Boats (and all WW2 subs, really) would have given up the ghost. And that those watches are now considered to have relatively 'shallow' depth ratings.

·
Registered
42,052 Posts
There's gonna be a lot of whinning when it's time to change battery. :-d
Well they sure were after they passed 300 m...

though that said, I was really just pointing out that we have pleanty of really nice, non-liquid filled watches that will still be ticking well past the point that those old U-Boats (and all WW2 subs, really) would have given up the ghost. And that those watches are now considered to have relatively 'shallow' depth ratings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts