WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Like the title says, I put the watch on the timegrapher after giving it about 25 turns of the crown (I don't know if "full turns", just a regular winding action) and the watch, per my timegrapher, is running at -20/day.

Is there a chance that this is normal? Maybe a break-in period? I did receive the watch today; also, I set it at 6pm almost exactly. I checked three hours later (so, about 15 minutes ago), and my watch is only one second slow. If we were to extend that by one hour, we would say maybe 1-1.5sec slow every four hours (x6 = 24 hours = ~7 seconds slow if the projection is correct).

What are the chances that the timegrapher is wrong, or that the watch needs "break-in"? This is my first Hamilton, and I'm at a loss for the H50.

Also, does anyone have the lift angle? I set it @ default 52 degrees... I don't know the specs for this movement.

Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi rook21.

If it were me, I would give the watch a full wind (around 30 turns, give or take), lay it down in a certain position (say, dial up), and then check in on it 24 hours later. The problem with sampling a 3-4 hour interval and then extrapolating a daily rate is that timekeeping can vary with the state of the mainspring's wind.

The H50's power reserve is over 80 hours, or 3+ days. You might find that its rate after day 1 is different from after day 2, which is different from day 3. That's not uncommon.

About the -20 spd you got from your timegrapher... I would find that rate to be pretty annoying. I hope it improves after you let the watch run for a few days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Give it some more time. Wear it for a couple days and see how much time is lost or gained over that larger time window to get a better idea of how it's actually running, and how it will run on wrist.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sitrep: To any person reading this in or around the distant future... Timegraphers give very quick, very accurate readings... that may be completely wrong.

At the end of the first 24 hours, the watch settled to minus 5 seconds per day. Very acceptable. I wish it was fast, but hey you can't win 'em all. At this point i'm just glad I don't have to send it in for a warranty, considering the virus, that could take months to get back.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try it on the Timegrapher in different positions when it is fully wound. Actual accuracy on the wrist will depend on a number of factors including the proportion of time it is in each position. After a few weeks you know which position to leave it in overnight depending on whether it is running fast or slow that day.

My watch is an automatic 2824 movement and after two months it's about 20-40 seconds fast per week. I re-set it every Friday night.

Given that you'll be winding yours daily it'll be very easy to re-set it if you need better accuracy.

Enjoy the new watch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts