WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a silly question, but I don' want an in house movement yet. I have around $2000 budget and do not mind going used. I have been looking at the Omega Planet Ocean for a bit, but only the 2500 is possible if I stretch my budget and that is used with service costs just over the horizon. At the moment I think I want to stick with something I can get locally serviced without a $500 price tag so I would like to get something with a eta movement. I've fond of Ball watches as they are well made and revolve around this budget. Any suggestions for something similar to PO with a eta/not expensive to service watch?

I would prefer a sporty, maybe a few arabic on the dial, but can still look fine with a suit. Black dial is a must with a black background and white number for the date as a heavy preference. No small subdial for seconds (takes Nomos out). Diver, pilot, etc etc, are all fair game. I do find the bezel on divers to be useful from time to time. No chronographs please, as I am not a huge fan of subdials. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
May I suggest longines and Christopher ward.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I dig the Longines suggested but if you happen to want to go under budget, and if you don't mind a GMT hand, this is a nice watch with a 2893. One of the big vendors has it cheap, and periodically reduces it to a very nice price. I couldn't find it with all your requirements. There is one like this without the fourth hand, but oddly, it has a white date window. There's another with a black window (at 4:30), but it has batons rather than Arabics. Anyway, just a thought.
Bulova Accutron Gemini GMT Watch ? A Classy Automatic Timepiece with a GMT Complication | Watch Review

Edit: Haha, I'm not crazy. Here's a picture that shows the black date window:
Bulova Accutron Gemini 63B154 Men's Watch

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
A used caliber 1120 Seamaster would be perfect, and at or under budget. And unlike current Omegas, it would fit under his sleeve cuff.

Rick "1120 = usefully improved 2892" Denney

·
Premium Member
8,371 Posts
Epos Emotion? It has a 2892-A2, and is a bit on the dressier side, but maybe ticks some of your boxes. (I have a white faced one, and love it.) It comes in a few variations/colors... these are the two without subdials, that aren't skeletonized.

3390_2_small.jpg 3391_2_small.jpg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is by far probably one of the best recommendations I have been given before. It checks almost everything on my list. As of right now, I have this on my list along with a 2500 PO, and a SMP. There were other suggestions that were much appreciated but I found not quite on the mark for my taste. Roman numerals are a no go for me. I much prefer markers with or without arabics. The Tudor suggested is a nice looking watch and I'll dig a little deeper into that one. Further recommendations are always welcomed. I never know what's out there till someone puts it on my radar! Thanks again WUS!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You have a lot of options for $2K.

Oris Aquis depth gauge (IMO one of the best values on the market)
original.jpg

Oris Aquis ceramic
581383d1362824851-einmal-im-kreis-wieder-zurueck-kaufberatung-erste-mechanische-uhr-oris-aquis-d.jpg

Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m

84_tag_heuer_cm.jpg

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts