WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

#2000 :-)

3K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Deacon 
#1 · (Edited)
So...here I am finally :-!.

I thought I would share an updated inventory of my 'team'. I also thought it would be neat to tell you something interesting about each model, or a little story about each.

I've also gotten better at taking watch photos! I finally figured out that in addition to needing a 'macro' feature on my camera, I also needed good lighting! Sorry about the angle of the shots though. It made many of the displays seem 'fuzzy' or 'dim'. And sorry about the dust/dog hairs. I have a dog that sheds like crazy...and it manages to get everywhere.

I hope you enjoy!

Casio
DW-002/DW-6600B FrankenShock
This is a creation of GameBoy2Go's. He's done an exquisite job, I think. Hand painted the bezel lettering, and the whole watch just 'works'. :)

DW-5000D-8DR (My 1st Screwback)
Another piece from GameBoy2Go. Truly cool because of it's all stainless bracelet, combined with a screwback! Nice and heavy.

DW-6600C-1V Mountain Dew Code Red
This is the only one like it I've seen. I'm sure there are others, but I think it's pretty neat. It's also not all that obvious of a 'product placement'. Common watch, but I like it because it reminds me of the first G I ever bought...which was in Boot Camp for the U.S. Army.

DW-6900-1V Beater
Here's a G I've had probably the longest (more than 10 years!). Beat up...and it looks best that way. It has some real 'wabi' to it.

DW-9100 Sky Tramp Riseman
This was a birthday present from my older brother about 8 or 9 years ago. I didn't even know then it was a 'Master of G'. I just liked how big and chunky it was, but comfy at the same time.

DW-9701K-9JR ICERC Gulfman
I got this on trade from Snowback. I dig it because it is a real Gulfman (it actually shows you the moon/tide intervals). Plus it's solar. I usually like Solar :-!.

G-7000D-8V
Here's a neat watch kind of based on the 2300. But the digits are huge...and very legible. And it's not all that common :).

G-9025A-1 Dawn Black Mudman
Amazingly clear display, with a huge feature set. This is in the top 5 favorite watches I own. And this one came from GameBoy2Go too!

GW-5525A-1JF Dawn Black Retro
Though I didn't get as killer of a deal as some of you did recently, I still like it. It has the best combination of features on a solar/atomic watch (for me). And I like how thin it wears. The band is also quite unique, and I like how it's a retro design going back to the very early days of the G.

GW-5600BCJ-1
Yep, I only bought this because of the GW-M. It's neat to have the LCD digits accented by the stripe on the face, and the bezel writing (they're all in the 'orange' family when in person).

GW-M5600BC-1JF High-tech Old School
This is mine until a friend here (you know who you are ;-)) wants to swap heads. I like the resin/steel bracelet. The negative display on this is so clear, I went out and bought a GW-5600BJ-1 (they're both very clear and easy to read). Now I've got two with a very nice bracelet. Plus it uses the same module as the GW-5525 above :-!.

PAW-1300G-1VCR Pathfinder ABC
I said I wouldn't buy one of these. Then someone went up and offered it at a good price. So, it's now with me. This is nearly the perfect ABC watch put out by Casio (well...nearly perfect to me, others are completely satisfied). The whole watch just exudes quality.

Citizen
BJ7005-59E Nighthawk PVD
I got this one after missing out on a few. It's had some wear, but the IP has held up amazingly well, as so has the crystal. The dial looks complex, until you wear it for a little while, and then it just 'clicks' (well...it did for me). Very neat blue lume, as do all the Citizens I have.

BJ8041-09E Promaster EcoZilla Ti
I just had to try this. And I told myself I would only try a 'Zilla if it was Ti. Then I found one at a decent price on the sales board. It does not wear as large as everyone says. It's thick, but really it's no more unwieldy than a Frogman. I'm looking forward to putting adapters on it so I can wear it on a nice leather strap (though the rubber is comfortable to me).

BL8000-54L Calibre 8700 SS
A more dressy watch, for when the occasion calls. This hasn't really grown on me, but I'm giving it a go. It's hard to find fault with a Solar, Perpetual Calendar watch that can work for multiple years once charged up ;-). And I like that it can show you day, date, and month. Plus the hour/minute hands even have lume (and it glows all night!).

PMP56-2932 Promaster Sky Ti
This is a really cool, hard to find Citizen. Japan market only, and I think there aren't even very many sold. It's Ti, but also has the MRK Duratect treatment(there are at least 2 versions of Duratect, this being the better of the 2). That makes it quite difficult to scratch. And the crystal is sapphire, which is nice on this, as it's quite exposed to picking up marks. The blue dial is just stunning in person (I seem to like blue dials for some reason).

Nike
WC0037-001 Blade
I've never had a Nike watch, but I must say that it has some nice features, a very legible display, and the strap is one of the most comfortable resin ones I've ever worn. I wish Casio would pick up on making a strap retainer along these lines too. It's locked into place...no sliding all over. And it was very affordable (packaged with the Timex below). The cool thing? You can set it so it turns the display off after a set number of hours. Good for someone like me that has quite a few to rotate thru.

Seiko
SBDX001 300m Marine Master
This is my most recent purchase, and was the cause of a big sell off. The seller was nice enough to wait 2 weeks while I got the sales completed and funds ready. What a guy! This is a 'grail' for me that I finally pulled the trigger on. I'm so glad I did too :-!.

SNK379
I simply bought this because it was cheap. I figure I'll either beat it up to see just what it can take, or I'll wear it in normal rotation, to give to my son for his first automatic.

Timex
T5J6419J Solar Ironman Shock
I hadn't had a Timex in years. Like 15-20 years. This came as a package with the Nike, and both were very affordable. Interesting display, with the skinny digits, but it's good enough for me. The strap is, like the Nike, amazingly comfortable. And again, like the Nike, it has a great strap keeper retainment system (it's basically locked in place). And the cool thing about these Solar Ironmen? It uses the ML-2016 battery!!! I couldn't believe it. I'm surprised this isn't more well known.

And of course a few shots of them all together in their home:

See less See more
#13 ·
+1
Marine Master is a great watch that is better than many of the Swiss mechanicals.:-!:-!:-!

#4 ·
Congrats on the 2X1000, Topher! :-!

You have a well balanced collection. I'm starting to feel the urge for a GW5600BCJ. Although I have 2 reverse display GW5600s, the crystal orange line and bezel lettering are calling me like sirens to Ulysses.

Now, please don't tell me that you sold your Real Black 6900.

#6 ·
Great collection that covers most of the famous brands.:-! Their home is very nice too!

By the way, you have got quite some G's from GameBoy2go.;-)

#7 ·
Hey Topher!! Good to see you back....it was worth the wait!!! Great collection. That Citizen Calibre is great, I have the same one with the 2 tome and black face and love it. It's got a nice quality luxury look and feel to it, large, heavy, Solar, and Perpetual, definitely one of my favorite pieces, wear it a few times, and you'll get used to it just fine :)

Definitely great to see you back on, keep the collection and post count growing :-!

#8 ·
Hey Topher!! Good to see you back....it was worth the wait!!! Great collection. That Citizen Calibre is great, I have the same one with the 2 tome and black face and love it. It's got a nice quality luxury look and feel to it, large, heavy, Solar, and Perpetual, definitely one of my favorite pieces, wear it a few times, and you'll get used to it just fine :)

Definitely great to see you back on, keep the collection and post count growing :-!
Wow, what a lineup and great words to go with them.

Congrats on #2000! I saw that one coming when I saw you at 1999.

#9 ·
@Vintage and Sili: some pieces had to go to get the MarineMaster. Sad, but I hope to find pieces like that later as funds allow.

@Wah: yep, I consider GB2G a friend. He just happened to end up having some things I wanted. Guess we were both lucky :).

to everyone: thanks for the kind words! It was actually tough not posting till I got this up. I'm going to try to make my 1000's posts 'special'. There have been some threads that I really wanted to chime in.

Glad to be around again!

#11 ·
Hi Topher,

Quite a nice team you have. It must have been taken you some time to take alll those photo's. I believe it's the 2nd time I'm impressed by a Timex too. That solar Ironman Shock looks pretty nice, specially with the orange accents. The DW-002/6600 is also a nice creation. I have a Cable Guy and a DPolG model with an orange light button. The orange lettering makes it very complete. I have a Congrats on your 2000th post!

Cheers,

Sjors

#15 ·
For some G's fans without experience in Seiko Marine Master, Topher should show its caseback. There is actually no opening on the caseback for better water proof. It creates difficulties in maintenance but this design is really good for preventing water ingress.:-!

#17 ·
Congrats on your Marine Master purchase Chris! :-! Awesome collection!!b-)

#18 ·
Jack @ IWW has opened up the MM before, so I am pretty sure he can service it with no problem

of course, even sending it to Japan (with the help of our popular Japan watch outlet online) for service won't cost you nearly as much as servicing a Swiss watch

so no worries there :-!

the one piece case does makes a thick (tall) watch though

#20 ·
Some excellent watches and a good variety. I was impressed by the DW-5000D as I had never seen one before so thanks for sharing that.

I think we have quite similar tastes in G's and Citizens. I love the ecozilla and have a Nighthawk on the way. The Sky hawk looks fantastic too!

#21 ·
A spectacular collection, beautifully photographed and presented. It is a collection which I certainly envy and hope to obtain one day. Your effects over the years have created what I think is a well rounded collection with lots of talking points. I hope you enjoy them for years to come.

Cheers:-!:-!:-!

#23 ·
dude, took you long enough to post your 2000th. how hard was it for you for not posting? i know that feeling.

congrats on ur 2000th and we'll waiting for the 3000th. and awesome collection u got there.

also, i thought u have a frog. i dun see in the case or in ur sig.
Please don't tell me you dropped out of the Frog Club!!! :-s

Don't make me start a thread to get you back :-d

#24 ·
Hey Topher, oh! Boy! Your picture skills are superb, those shots are FANTASTIC. So happy that you got the grail, and like I said before, I liked the 300mm better than the 600mm. Only thing I miss is the Mr-G Frogman that you had to sell... that was lovely, wish I had the funds to grab it when you offered it for sale.

Congrats on reaching 2000! You're an asset to this forum and an honest Gentleman! YOU DA' MAN!!!

:-!:-!:-!

#29 ·
First, thanks for all the kind words. It was hard holding back until I could get all the shots on the same day, in decent lighting. I really wanted to do more interesting backgrounds, but I will plan for that very far in advance. My photographic abilities have only just gotten better. I didn't realize just how much good lighting affects my little camera. Knowing what I know now, I'm going to be refining and replacing all my wristshots I have on file to make them the best I can.

@ stockae: Actually, the solar Ironman Shock is quite nice. Full set of features, and one of the most comfortable bands ever. The fit/finish is much higher than I anticipated, and was completely worthe every penny I spent on it. I think you would be quite pleased/surprised. PM me, and I'll let you know what I gave. I took a chance on it with the Nike. Both pleasantly surprised me. And it having a ML2016 really is quite surprising :-!.

@ pindu: Frankly, the 300m MM is worth more than what I paid. It is, without a doubt, worth the difference in price to me. I don't make a practice of spending nearly $2000 on a watch, but after the reaction of so many member of the Seiko/Citizen/Orient forum here, I just had to do it. I also wanted to refocus my team, as well as add a little diversity. I had started to buy things that were just 'deals', so I decided to get something I really wanted. The Sumo is very nice, accurate, and is already creating quite a following. I will have another, but will try the orange face. I had a suspicion that the MM was the only reason I'd sell my Sumo. Having done so, I'm very pleased. The MM has so many small details to it. Plus, don't forget that this watch is hand assembled, as well as a hand-assembled movement alongside Grand Seikos, and uses the base Grand Seiko movement. Only 1 of 20 certified master watchmakers in a premier Seiko plant touch this watch. 26J movement, hack, handwind, 1 piece case (as Wah pointed out), lots of little fit/finish details that are above and beyond most watches out there at 2x the price. Heck, the datewheel is even stainless. It's not a white datewheel, but has a brushed finish with the date printed on that. The sun hits it right and it will ever-so-slightly shine. Also, I am liking the overall proportions of the MM a little more than the Sumo.

The 600m MM is the last true grail on my list !. Having showed my MM to my boss, I have inspired him to look into purchasing either a 600m or a 300m (he'll probably go for the 600m though...just the way he is). I hope he orders a 600m, then I can compare them in person ;-). Maybe I can talk him into ordering one for me :).

I'm not really out of the Frog club, but had to sell some to fund the MM. Consider me an 'honorary member' ;-).

#30 ·
Topher,
I think you need the one on the right to complete your team.....:-!:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.