WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my friends, good ol' 2006 is coming to a close. So, it's time to look back at the Year in Watches. It was a fun year when my collection continued its focus on vintage chronographs. As you know, I'm particularly drawn to big, ugly chunks of steel from the 70s and 80s. This was a year of a bit of sampling for me, exploring various movements, different styles, and even divergent brands.

The most notable impact on my chrono collection was my "discovery" of what has become my favorite movement, the Lemania 5100. It started with this old Heuer...

which was followed by another, and another, and another, and another.

We've all heard of Speedy addiction, but this little workhorse of a movement draws you in and just won't let go. It's kind of like a bag of those circus peanuts. Not the real peanuts, but those squishy orange things that make some folks gag and bring others to the height of pleasure. Yeah, like that.

As the year moved on, I came across a good deal on a mighty funky watch, which matched my criteria of interest. Big, odd, and guaranteed to not win any beauty contests. Powered by the ubiquitous loved/hated movement, the Valjoux 7750, I knew I had to try it.

Though, the 7750 doesn't touch me in the way that the Lemanias do, it's a solid, well constructed chronograph movement, and I can now understand why it has stood the test of time and remains so popular.

Oh, and how could I forget this very special piece.

Ahh...it still smells like bacon.

And, finally, my last watch of the year arrived a month or so ago.

The left-hand crown tells you it's an old micro-rotor movement, one of the automatic chronograph movements to emerge from the great race of the late 60s. Again, these will never match the rugged complication of the Lemanias (in my mind), but this Autavia is a joy to wear.

Looking back, I guess this wasn't a big year of Omega for me. I didn't realize that, until I wrote this. It's interesting, because Omega still stands alone as my favorite manufacturer. I guess you can better appreciate that, which you love, by experiencing other things. Note: this method does not translate well to girlfriends.

So, what's in store for 2007? I wish I knew! I've been wanting to find a nice Flightmaster, and I still haven't been able to convince Per to part with that beautiful c.321 Seamaster. There are a couple of c.5100 Speedmasters that I'd really like to fine. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what my brain forces me to do.

But, my greatest pleasure over this year has been watching our Omega Forum expand, grow, and continue to develop as the best Omega Forum on the net...in my humble opinion, of course. Here on WUS, we have the second most active brand forum, behind the G-Shockers, and the third overall, behind Affordable. It seems like every day, I notice new members proudly sharing their Omegas, or seeking advice on their first. And, all of you are the reason why.

I consider it a privilege to be a part of this group of helpful, friendly, knowledgeable folks. I've been lucky enough to make some new friends this year and look forward to many more in the next. So, to close, I want to sincerely thank each and every one of you for making this an excellent place to laugh and learn.

My very best wishes to all of you in the New Year!

Now...how was your "Year in Watches?" What's in store for 2007?!?!

eric

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Re: 2006 - Year in Watches (modem buster)

This was an expansion year for watches in 2006. First the Omegas:

First - 1946 Omega US Air Force in Europe award watch:

Here is a picture of the basketball game for which the watch was awarded...from the "Stars & Stripes" military newspaper for March 10, 1946.

Second - 1968 Constellation Pie-pan. One of the very last ones produced. Not listed at Omega Vintage, but I've been assured it's very real.

I've also acquired a couple of interesting vintages from other companies:

Hamilton:

and finally, LeCoultre:

If 2007 is as good as 2006, I may be in for big trouble!

Happy New Year everyone,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Nice idea for a thread!

I actually had a dreadful year in many way's but overall made it through! I aquired these during the year to ease my pain!!!!

Happy New Year all:-!

Davey

and this for my wife!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fun thread

Looks like a fun thread...Here's my contribution:

I sold my seiko monster diver watch collection for a pretty penny, and used the proceed to complete the build-up for my mountian bike. Yes, I'm glad I did and love the new mountain bike, it's fast both uphill and downhill...It's about having balance hobbies, not just watches only :-d :-d :-d

Sold these:

To buy some parts for this bike:

Gave my Breitling SuperOcean Chrono to my dad, and now it's his daily beater (the one on the left):

For X-mas, my wife gave me a brand new Stainless Steel Daytona from bought Rolex AD (the one, on the left):

Basically, I let go 4 watches and got one only 1 watch for the whole year as my interest in watch has tapered down quite a bit. For 2007, I am going to get only 1 watch again, it's either a Omega 35th Ed. Speedmaster, or a Rolex SD, or another stainless steel Rolex Daytona with the slow beat Zenith movement b-)

Hope everyone have a great 2007, wish many nice watches on your wrist :-! :-! :-!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
PW1 was finally completed:

Then our Ebay friend provided the movement for the next PW:

and although PW2 is indefinitely postponed, PW1.5 is in the wings for 2007.

Some vintage pieces were added to the collection beginning with the hummer:

followed by "grandpa" from 1930 who is awaiting his journey home to Bienne for some R&R:

Somehow this interesting little lady arrived:

And finally, Connie joined the family and stole daddy's heart:

But all these take a backseat to the blessings of a healthy wife, a new grandson from Russia, a new son-in-law and the parishioners of St. Peter the Apostle.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great additions to the collection guys.

I think I can sum up this year with this one pic.... My daughter Caitlin getting her first feed (about 3 hours old in this pic, she 6 months old now), and my new Speedy pro...

All the best for the new year everyone. santasmile

Cheers, Timmo

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well, my fascination with watches has dwindled significantly over the year, but here's how it went...

Added this one first...

Also briefly had its black dialed sibling, but I gave it my sibling as a god-father gift...

Then added this neat, little one...

Then much later in the year I nearly bought a Sea-dweller, but opted for this one instead...

But to be honest, after wearing it for 2 months, I determined that I really am not a "Rolex guy". So, that went back into its box and will eventually be sold:oops:

I've been a Seiko Orange Monster fan since I obtained one in late 2005, and it also became my spouse's favorite, so I asked Santa to bring her the closest equivalent he could find - a St. Moritz...

Santa also surprised us with these:

It's been fun, but, alas, we are done!

Happy New Year !!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great additions to the collection guys.

I think I can sum up this year with this one pic.... My daughter Caitlin getting her first feed (about 3 hours old in this pic, she 6 months old now), and my new Speedy pro...

All the best for the new year everyone. santasmile

Cheers, Timmo
it's good thing you've got that speedie to hock off Timmo, you've got school,university fees to look forward to. She'll also want a car,the latest cell phone and ball dresses... the list goes on

Peter (father of two teenage daughters)

·
6,880 Posts
It's been a great year for me!

Not just with watches but with other things as well.
I've been through three different Omega's this year and one remains.....the Seamaster Pro.

·
Premium Member
13,253 Posts
Got my markII from restoration and baught at a fair an "Or Drive" diving watch that will need a service. But I have invested in pens instead of watches, I baught a 1979/1980 montblanc 149 for a ridiculous price and sent it to repair last saturday because the refill piston pump was broken otherewise nib and cap and the rest of the pen are in excellent condition). Was offered a vintage collectible Montblanc 146 for this christmas. I am thinking of a datejust or a 5100 or perhaps a connie in pristine condition if not a watch then I might invest in a pelikan pen or in a vintage parker or perhaps in a vintage conway stuart, mentmore, wahl eversharp or conklin pen.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, 2006 saw my interest in watches renewed after a prolongued period of dormance. A few years ago i maintained a keen interest in Longines watches, following the inheritance of a Longines pocket watch from my Grandfather.

It's difficult to recall why my focus turned toward Omega, but in January i obtained my first - a 50s cal 490 auto with subsecond dial. A few more from the 50s followed: a nice cal. 351 with original two-tone dial, and the cal. 355 seamaster calendar.

During the latter part of the year my interest has also been piqued by older chronographs, with a cheap-and-very-cheerful Tissot Navigator and my acquisition of a Speedy Pro just a few weeks ago.

To conclude the year my latest purchase is a Lemania 5100 driven speedmaster, yet to arrive.

On my list for 2007, I would love a nice 70s-80s Heuer with a 5100 under the hood, and may look for more Tissot chronographs, and, heading back toward the more classic wristwatch, will be looking out for a nice example SS Constellation.

I dearly would have loved to share more pics, but with the two under-4s under my feet time really isn't on my side!

All good wishes to you all, I've made many friends and received fabulous advice whilst being part of this forum.

Cheers!

Colin

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well, actually was 2006 my starting year of seriously collecting watches.
I went through different stages.
1. collecting watches that were connected to spaceflights as there were

Fortis Cosmonauts Chronograph

Poljot Sturmanskie

Strela (sorry no Pic)

Sinn 142 (Now in better condition, because the case was restored)

not to forget the Casio DW5600, Timex Ironman and ....
Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 11

that´s how i got hooked and soon followed ..

Speedmaster X-33 1.edition

That´s when my collections started to change.
Now it´s Omega and Lemania powered watches.
Some didn´t stay long, like my Speedmaster MK II´s, my Sinn 157

and more watches did arrive

Omega Seamaster 300 from 1965 (now at Bienne for restauration)

Tag Heuer PVD and Orfina Porsche design PVD

Omega Speedmaster Professional MK IV and Speedmaster Automatic

Seamaster Automatic (now at restauration)

So let´s see, what 2007 will bring ;-) For sure some more watches will
come and unfortunately some have to go :-:)-!

Have a happy new year All of you :-!:-!:)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I found two I have planned for i 06
All of them early in the year. More important things has taken my time later this year. Have not been that much time for WUS either in the second half of 06. Glad you have taken most of the work Eric, together with all friendly members:-!

But Here are the watches from last year

A Seamaster Calendar

And a black faced Geneve - a hard one to find

And of course my only new one, is soon one year old

All the best for 2007

Jon

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Eric,

I agree with your assessment... this IS the best Omega forum on the 'net!!

And as far as 2006 goes, this was my highlight...

and I have you to thank :) :-! If I were forced to choose only one of my watches, this would be it! A true classic!! I hope you don't miss her too much :oops:

The best to all in 2007 and here's to a great forum and great bunch of guys :gold

Cheers,

Peter

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The most notable impact on my chrono collection was my "discovery" of what has become my favorite movement, the Lemania 5100.
That discovery took place several years ago in my particular case, and though my current unemployment makes it increasingly difficult to buy watches, I still managed a few interesting catches in 2006.

The first one was this North Eagles chronograph. It might not look like much, but it does have a Lemania 5100 inside. And it was dirt cheap!

Then came the Hamilton trio. I had never bought a Lemania 5100 Hamilton, and all of the sudden I bought these in quick succession. For the last one (the blue dialed Soccer chronograph), I nevertheless had to let go of another Lemania 5100 (a Mondia) that I had never really warmed up to.

Finally, I was lucky enough to acquire this breathtakingly beautiful DPW Chrono Pilot "Frecce Tricolori". I have yet to take a picture of it that does justice to the beauty of its dial. It is the second Lemania 5100 DPW in my collection.

My last two watches of the year were "budget buys" in order to momentarily keep my watch addiction in check. First a nice titanium diver from Citizen for $83.

And at last a "poor man's Grand Seiko" that cost me the princely sum of $61...

All I need to do now is to find a job so that the madness can resume! :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was lucky enough to get all three of these watches this year. In Feb, the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Geographic. Dec 1st, I bought the Master Perpetual after looking for months (discontinued a few years earlier) and then for Christmas, my wife surprised me with this excellent Planet Ocean! Love it. Thought it would wear too large, but find it very comfortable.

Notice its the Omega that is in focus and in center!

And just won an Atmos on debay! Pic included as the bid was made before Christmas. b-)
--Chandler

Attachments

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of course I miss 'er!

Eric,

I agree with your assessment... this IS the best Omega forum on the 'net!!

And as far as 2006 goes, this was my highlight...
and I have you to thank :) :-! If I were forced to choose only one of my watches, this would be it! A true classic!! I hope you don't miss her too much :oops:

The best to all in 2007 and here's to a great forum and great bunch of guys :gold

Cheers,

Peter
Well, of course I miss 'er, Peter! She's a beauty of a classic diver. But, it's a huge consolation that it's so appreciated and is getting the lovin' it deserves.

eric

1 - 20 of 26 Posts