WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough to get a front row seat at last weekend's airshow at Ellington Field here in Houston. Weather was perfect. Had my Canon 40D and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens with me. Really wished I had rented a 100-400mm lens, as 200mm is not much reach. I had to do a lot of cropping in post in order to get some of the planes to be large enough on screen.

The only bummer was that the Blue Angles went on late, and I had to leave before they went on.

Here's a link to the pictures. Enjoy!

http://golfnut.smugmug.com/Miscella...ouston-Airshow/10212713_x7rjx#703866628_PKNno

·
Banned
5,317 Posts
I'm no expert and have no idea about half of what you're talking about, but to my un-trained eye, these are awesome and outstanding in every way!

Love the ones that show the WW II props together with the modern jets!

Do you mind if I use a few for my laptop backgrounds?

Thank you for taking the time to share thses!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert and have no idea about half of what you're talking about, but to my un-trained eye, these are awesome and outstanding in every way!

Love the ones that show the WW II props together with the modern jets!

Do you mind if I use a few for my laptop backgrounds?

Thank you for taking the time to share thses!
Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to right-click and save until your heart's content!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great shots, sadly I came to the same conclusion - you need at least 300mm on a crop sensor for great "in flight" shots. I got some great sharp images from my local airshow shot on my 200mm, sadly they're nowhere near large enough (after cropping) for a decent size print.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/macrobubbles/sets/72157622341845133/

Best wishes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great shots, sadly I came to the same conclusion - you need at least 300mm on a crop sensor for great "in flight" shots. I got some great sharp images from my local airshow shot on my 200mm, sadly they're nowhere near large enough (after cropping) for a decent size print.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/macrobubbles/sets/72157622341845133/

Best wishes
I hear you. I think my photos would look good a 4x6 or 5x7 prints, but unless I can get the plane to fill the frame right out of the camera, I doubt that larger print sizes are going to be very good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hear you. I think my photos would look good a 4x6 or 5x7 prints, but unless I can get the plane to fill the frame right out of the camera, I doubt that larger print sizes are going to be very good.
LOL, you look at all pro guys at airshows and they'll be shooting 400mm (or bigger) f2.8 lenses, I like planes but not that much!

Best wishes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, you look at all pro guys at airshows and they'll be shooting 400mm (or bigger) f2.8 lenses, I like planes but not that much!

Best wishes
I'd like to have a 400mm f/2.8L IS lens from Canon in my bag, but I don't have $7,200 burning a hole in my pocket. :-d

With only having one camera body at an event like that, a super tele lens does not make much sense unless you are only looking to shoot the planes while in flight. I really wish I had made up my mind to go to the airshow in time to rent a 100-400 IS lens. That lens, coupled with my 17-55 IS lens, would have been an awesome airshow combo for someone with a single camera body.

Anyway, that's a lot of camera gear talk on a watch forum... ;-)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Great shots! :thumbup: I love that Super Guppy!

I find that a 200mm f2.8L is a useful lens length on a crop body, but also use a 70-300 IS. The colours aren't quite the same, but the extra reach is good. I also find the L lenses focus more quickly.

A quick point re crop sensors - just imagine what'll happen when we move to full sensor! 100-400mm, perhaps? Or a 600mm f5.6?

M

PS, a few of mine from recent event at Duxford, in the UK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noodlefish/sets/72157622563664768/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great shots! :thumbup: I love that Super Guppy!

I find that a 200mm f2.8L is a useful lens length on a crop body, but also use a 70-300 IS. The colours aren't quite the same, but the extra reach is good. I also find the L lenses focus more quickly.

A quick point re crop sensors - just imagine what'll happen when we move to full sensor! 100-400mm, perhaps? Or a 600mm f5.6?

M

PS, a few of mine from recent event at Duxford, in the UK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noodlefish/sets/72157622563664768/
Great shots, haven't been to Duxford for years.... I think the very reason you quoted is why FF will never become fully adopted, there will always be demand for cropped sensors from the aviation, wildlife etc togs who need that extra reach. I'm going FF for my next upgrade BUT I'm keeping my crop sensor body for the rare occassion is use longer focal lengths.

Best wishes

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Excellent photo's buddy.:-! Were you using a tripod for a lot of them, as they are very clear?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent photo's buddy.:-! Were you using a tripod for a lot of them, as they are very clear?
Thanks man. No tripod. Just had to get my panning speed to match the speed of the aircraft flying by. Not easy. My keeper rate was pretty low.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You've got a pretty steady hand then. Excellent mate.:-!
You're too kind. :thanks Having a good auto-focus system and a lens with a panning image stabilization feature doesn't hurt either. :-!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
nice photos, i missed it this year but did make it last year to wings over houston at ellington field, also went the next weekend to San antonio kelly field and watched the F22 raptor demo team, man that jet will do tail slides and loops that not other jet can do, thanks for sharing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts