WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Re: THEME Vote Results

If Laco's pricing was such a sticker shock, I'd like to know what everyone's expectations were for the cost of a one-in-fifty special edition.
From other similar WUS Special Edition projects, I was expecting [read: hoping] the final price might fall somewhere in the $1,000-$1,500US range. Having the project start at 1,500 Euros pushes that dreaded wince-factor.

Even if I can't manage the final purchase price, I'd still be very interested in contributing to the design conversations; carefully worked, I think the SE Artillery piece will be quite impressive.

· Registered
913 Posts

It's awfully quiet out there. Is it time to fold up the chairs, pack the tents and tell the band they can go home?

If Laco's pricing was such a sticker shock, I'd like to know what everyone's expectations were for the cost of a one-in-fifty special edition.
I'm curious to know as well. Apparently I've been very spoiled with my current and previous LE orders. My expectation was definitely no higher than current retail pricing of comparable offerings.

· Banned
16,020 Posts

My expectation for a 50 unit LE, with a stock case, stock strap, stock crystal, custom printed dial, custom painted and lumed hands and custom crown - max 1000 Euro.

IMHO I would love a Top Grade ETA. I see only problems with the 70's movement.

· Registered
92 Posts

Would the price quoted be net of EU VAT? 1k Euros is still steep for me, given that most of the components being identified is stock, and if it will be ETA in the end. How about a nice wooden box like the 85th anniversary packaging? Anyways, I'll place my max at 1k Euros, hopefully it covers shipping as well. Cheers

· Banned
16,020 Posts

There is no EU VAT. The German VAT is 19%, and yes it will be removed from the cost, if you qualify.
Shipping?
Laco changed the policy a couple of months ago. Now the customer pays.

· Registered
92 Posts

Thanks. My bad -- yes, its the 19% VAT I was referring to. Hmmmm...If 1k Euros' the gross, take out VAT, add shipping, then duties and taxes -- then I can have it at close to 1k Euros all-in. Seems workable to me at this point, lets see how it goes... Cheers

· Vendor
458 Posts

Dear WUS-members,

because of the overwhelming amount of interesting posts in the WUS-Forum concerning the pending limited edition of fifty Laco-watches based upon old Durowe (int) movements, I'd like to address you in person today.

Luckily we still have some original Durowe movements on stock, being thoroughly refurbished by our watchmakers. It takes large effort and cost, however, to produce particular spare parts in such little quantities.
Personally I'd be very sorry if the project had to be cancelled, for it's uncertain if we can submit such a unique offer ever again.

We will check possibility of using ETA movements in order to reduce cost and come back to you as soon as possible.

To whatever decision the WUS-members may come, we will respect it and look forward to many more interesting posts within the Forum.
Furthermore I'd like to express my gratefulness to the fact that our brand, Laco, has gained both, enormous reputation and publicity thanks to the WUS - Forum.

Andreas Günther
Business Manager

· Banned
16,020 Posts
Re: Laco Listens

Thank you, Team Laco, to investigate this.
Please understand that most of us across the Atlantic have been badly hit by the exchange rate US/Euro in a very negative way.
And UK too.

· Registered
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Re: Laco Listens

Just a note to everyone that I'm going to hold off on the voting for the CASE until we hear back from Laco. With the potential of a change in the project's scope, it's only fair that we wait and give those who might return to the project an opportunity to participate in the CASE discussion and vote.

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Re: Torpedo Theme

Subscribed, and guten Tag to all!

Firstly, might I say that, as a long time appreciator of all things mechanical and the magic of watches especially (a life-long love I share with all of you--cheers!), this is a marvelous forum and I am enjoying myself thus far immensely. Having read through this thread on learning about this project, I thought at this stage to join in the discussion, expressing my interest in the project at least tentatively, since much it seems has yet to be decided. At the outset, may I say that there are some really great ideas here all around, and I, too, am most interested in hearing more about this, with a view to participating depending on the option(s) and of course the/their respective costs. That said, I just thought to share a couple of thoughts:

*If only a few parts left, why not a true re-issue as a final tribute to the original?
That said, if there are only so many Durowe movements left such that, once used, Laco would be unable to make any such or further unique projects in future after this one, if this be the case, then might I suggest that these movements be used to produce the original, as true to spec as initially issued, and updated and refurbished to reflect today's tech only as necessary and/or desirable. Please note that I say "update" and "tech" loosely, intending that these and other such terms be defined broadly, fully understanding and agreeing that such matters are to be ultimately defined/determined by means of vote, on hearing back from Laco as to the options and price. Now, I realise that Laco recently issued a 55mm "replica" of its original Flieger, as a limited edition, which may (or may not) impact upon this suggestion of mine insofar as ltd. editions are of course supposed to be just that, but just thinking out lout perhaps that, if it is true that the movements, casings etc. are in fact coming to an end, then perhaps it makes sense to do a final "all true to the original" (updated/refurbished as above) as a last and final run of those mvmnts and parts, no? I mean, it's not like the rock band, The Who, who announced their Final World Tour, only did so prematurely so far as that occurred before their next 5 more plus final world tours, which was in fact the final world tours until such time as they re-grouped and went on yet more final, final world tours, etc. (of course I jest, tongue-and-cheek, but only to make a point, which I say in good humour, and do so hope it is taken that way). If truly the last run so to speak, then such a lovely historically important piece no doubt would go up in value over time, helping (at least in a practical so to speak sense) to justify the cost -- at least, that's a thought.

Smaller Cases, Perhaps a Dress(ier)/Business Casual Watch?
As to the smaller cases (i.e., 36mm, etc.), I would think that they would make for a lovely business casual edition, which I myself would likewise and very seriously be interested in. Remember, officers--including pilots--wore smaller cased dress watches when outside of their cockpits, thus justifying a smaller cased/dressier watch also. Besides, whilst the renewed interest in older, over-sized cases of recent years has been interesting, I doubt that I am alone in desiring a vintage yet modern day dress/business casual watch; true, there are many modern interpretations out there of such a piece by watch companies both ancient and new, then, this can be said also of pilot watches, too. That such a fine, vintage, smaller cased watch (like the navy dial under consideration, for e.g.) still exists in the "vaults" of Laco awaiting a re-issue, thus paying homage proper to those officer dress(ier) watches of old, would be wonderful to have and enjoy, too, if indeed such a (re) issue is possible. Indeed, a smaller case would be most versatile, permitting daily use unlike a larger case which, at least for me, can't very well be worn in the office with a suit, etc. Also, so far as Laco recently re-issued a 55mm pilot, was just thinking that an officer watch (smaller case, 36mm to 39-40mm with crown, yes?) seems a natural choice of sorts, and in light of the fact that the over-sized dials won't be "in fashion" forever ... (just saying, that's all).

Anyway, just my thoughts (thinking out loud), and look most forward to hearing back from Laco like everyone else here (how wonderful of them, really), whilst getting to know the rest of you here better in the meantime, and in time. Thanks so much. And again, GREAT PROJECT IDEAS!!! So far, count me in! :)

· Banned
16,020 Posts

Welcome!
Dial selected by the interested forum members was made for a 65mm watch. So, a true replica will be virtually impossible towear.
The Vintage movement offered by Laco is a 1970 DuRoWe movement, a 17J "standard" workhorse.
The WW2 era B-uhren had a pocket watch movement, 22J chrono grade, called DuRoWe D5.
So, in a different league than the offered one.
The latest 55mm Limited Edition from Laco used a movement newly built from spare D5 parts, but it was decided by Laco to substitute 1 jewel to a bushing, and create a 21 J movement.
So, this latest 55mm watch did not contain a true D5 movement.
D4.5? :-d

I am not sure if it was a chronometer even.

· Registered
175 Posts

i'm not a part of the group buy and decision process but i'd just like to throw my support toward the laco forum. without wus-laco i wouldn't even know about the laco brand and would not have picked up the 42mm flieger (which i dearly enjoy). good luck to you guys in getting a cool le piece at a price everyone can be happy with.

· Registered
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Movement Update

Big News: Laco have agreed to offer the ETA 2824.2 movement as an option to this project. The option also comes with a lower base price for the Special Edition watch; Laco is estimating it to be in the 898 € to 998 € range. Although the 2824.2 is an automatic movement, Laco has also offered a handwinding modification to it. Please visit the first post in the MOVEMENT thread for a full synopsis.

Please post all discussion pertaining to the movement in the MOVEMENT thread instead of this thread.

REMINDER: Voting for the case starts on Monday.

· Registered
114 Posts
Re: Movement Update

I don't know why everything's gone so quiet, but I figured I'd take some initiative.

By my count, Option 3 wins the case vote (primary votes did it: 8 vs 6 for option 4).

So, case is the 45mm B-Uhr case that can only be used with handwinding movements.

We can continue the movement discussion now, I believe.

· Registered
913 Posts

Yes, it does appear very quiet here! I'm just checking back in after a week or so away and it looks like things are at a standstill. Case 3 is good news though! Let's get rolling, ETA handwound movement is the only option I believe?

· Registered
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

I've just closed the CASE voting thread and will post results tomorrow, at which time I'll start up the MOVEMENT discussion thread with the options still available to us based on the winning case.

· Registered
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Case Vote Results

Below is the result of the Case Vote. The 45 mm B-Uhr case is the winner and we can now move on to discussing and selecting a movement for the project watch in the MOVEMENT discussion thread.

Case Vote Results:
1. 45 mm B-Uhr case (Winner :-!)
2. 42 mm Navy case
3. 42 mm B-Uhr case
4. 46 mm Squad Black case
5. 35 mm 1969 case

· Registered
7,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
Movement Vote Results

Below is the result of the Movement Vote. The ETA 2824.2 is the winner and we can now move on to discussing and designing the case back for the project watch in the CASE BACK discussion thread.

Movement Vote Results:
1. ETA 2824.2 (Winner) :-!
2. Durowe INT 7425-4
3. Durowe INT 7425-4 Decorated

· Registered
114 Posts
Re: Case Vote Results

Below is the result of the Movement Vote. The ETA 2824.2 is the winner and we can now move on to discussing and designing the case back for the project watch in the CASE BACK discussion thread.

In an absolute landslide... You mentioned Laco needs a case back decision soon to be able to fit it into an order hole...what's our timeframe?

101 - 120 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.