Re: Torpedo Theme

Plenty of time!!!

We should enjoy this process!

A stopwatch from Breitling:
I know, wrong country, purpose and time, but just an aesthetical study:

· Registered
169 Posts

There is another stopwatch design in Knirims book, I think I have a small pic early in this thread.

Any chance of a better pic?
here you are, Janne!

The one you mentioned is a Junghans cal. 68
with a navy aritllery dial (Knirim, p. 254):

Another similar Junghans cal. 68 with a navy artillery dial (Knirim, p. 254):
Watch Stopwatch Pocket watch

For diversity, here is a Hanhart stopwatch,
also with a navy artillery dial (Knirim, p. 258):

· Registered
169 Posts
although the discussion shifted lately to stop watch-inspired designs,
I still wanted to have a look how a W-SS design would look
if modified according to the ideas I mentioned in my post one day ago.

here is a quick & dirty attempt to visualize what can be made
taking the W-SS design as a base:

1) sterile dial (writings removed)
2) dial is made more readable for a reasonably sized watch
by removing the mirrored numerals

I think it looks quite nice this way.

opinions?

· Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
1) sterile dial (writings removed) 2) dial is made more readable for a reasonably sized watch by removing the mirrored numerals

opinions?
Doesn't work for me. Removing the mirrored numerals defeats the purpose of using the dial in the first place, as they're a defining characteristic of the design.

· Banned
21,095 Posts
Same here. The mirrored numerals give the dial design it's uniqueness.

My reason for gravitating towards the Timer design is the challenge, the colours and the associated stigma with the W-SS that may be a turn off for some!

Also, (I know I am in a minority here) I would like to see a polished/brushed case. (Marine?)
The B-uhren look a bit alike...
Unless laco could make us a polished/brushed B-uhr case, which would be ideal.

· Registered
5,618 Posts
JohnF said:
..... The dial will make or break the watch .... the original KM dials were porcelain, which is simply not doable anymore (too fragile, generally speaking, and unrepairable). However, I think you can get some of the depth that the porcelain dials were famous for (depth in the sense that there was a 3-D effect to the dial) by specifying the following: standard brass dial with date at 6, silver plating, no base coat, then 3 layers of flat white paint, but NOT with a white pigment (this would absorb too much light), then a layer of white paint mixed with a small amount of mother-of-pearl, than a finishing coat. The dial numbers and the railroad-track chapter markings should be printed using some sort of rubber compound to hold the shape during the painting process and then removed to leave sharply defined indents, which would then be filled with black pigment before the final fishing coat. This could re-create the visual effect and feel of porcelain, but without the ensuing costs. Creating an etched-like effect for the numbers and railroad track would allow you to have a very flat dial, but with a 3-D effect ..... Alternatively, if this is too difficult to do (and it is!), then a solid silver dial, date at 6, with a white non-pigment layer, print the 1-12 and railroad tracks in flat black, then put a gloss finish coat on that. The non-covering white would allow light to penetrate down to and then reflect off the silver.

Hands: blued steel, but with a different design than the Laco KM hands. Black lume (i.e. lume that looks black in the daylight, but shows a moderately subdued lume at night.

..... the ultimate quality of a watch IS determined by the movement - and think of what can be done with that movement ..... First of all, we have a classic amongst the mass of the post-war ebauché movements: a Durowe ...... Let's consider this: having the screws and some additional parts black-polished and then thermic-blued (the only real bluing a watchmaker wants to see, none of that chemical bluing!). The flat planes of the movement bridges do not. unfortunately, lend themselves to geneva striping, but I think that they could be beautifully frosted and red-gold plated; perlage then on the base plate. Think frosted red-gold and blued screws, in combination with a modest case size, but one that provides water resistance to 100m ......
John, thank you for a few very constructive posts and ideas.
I lack the technical knowledge that you seem to have, but I am thinking along similar lines. My idea for the dial would be a white-gilt dial. I understand that these are hard to produce, maybe too difficult, but would be really unique in today's offerings and offer the great depth you mentioned. Cheaper and easier alternatives could be an enamel dial or powder-coating.

Blue hands on an off-white dial generally is hard to beat. And having the color blue returning on the back-side (screws) ...... |>
Maybe we can combine all of this with the below dial-design:

Janne said:
The modern iteration of this dial does indeed look empty - maybe because it is housed in too large a case?

Apologies for not bringing something new to the table; just compiling & combining a few ideas.

RonB

· Banned
21,095 Posts
Compiling and combining is what we will have to do, so no excuses!!!
I think that it looks empty because of the thin lines and the absence of double/triple digits. The new hands are also wrong, the widest part is too close to the center.

I am looking foeward to the poll.

· Registered
18 Posts
Good day gentleman - happy Friday. I was curious about exploring the naval artillery/torpedo dials if the scales were adjusted for regular timekeeping - so I quickly drafted an adjusted rendition of the Junghans dial to offer. Now, I've not taken great pains to 'exactly' translate the dial proportions, but the timing indices are all precise; I've also not been too particular about font selection, colour, or (obviously) even drafting hands at this point. If anyone is curious, adjusting colour, font, scale, or logo/text would be a relatively quick to-do. Looking forward to the vote. Manera.

Attachments

· Registered
5,618 Posts

Thanks for your effort, Manera, that's a good start and very constructive contribution to the discussion |> One thing: the sub-dial will not work with this movement, which can only support a central second hand.

RonB

· Registered
18 Posts
Thanks RonB. :)
Re: sub-dial, I agree completely - I think in the original stopwatch, the minutes scale was extracted for the sub-dial. I actually really enjoy that the 7425 has a central sweep seconds. Too bad we couldn't have a Power Reserve in that 12 o'clock position; I've seen some Lange Marine Timers with that complication....

· Registered
92 Posts

While I have a leaning towards the Artillery / Sextant dial (I actually bought a repro off eBay out of curiosity), the potential dials shown by Manera and Piccolo8 (Zenith) appeal to me as well. Re Manera's, I'd go without the sub-dial though. Both look quite unique, and clean -- neither cluttered nor empty. Thanks for sharing guys! |>

· Banned
21,095 Posts

Manera your quick and dirty drawings are better that I could do if I spent a year....

Could you do something to the Torpedo.depthcjharge dial?
This one:

Maybe extending the outermost scale, using it as Seconds scale, one of the middle ones - minutes and the inner one - hours.
Just a suggestion, you seem to be the expert.

No need to insert it in a Laco case.

· Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Re: Marine B-Uhr Theme

I assume you realize this case is a fake. I'm not sure I like the idea of recreating this sort of memorabilia.
No, I didn't have any idea that it was a fake, but would love to hear your reasoning for this conclusion. It's a photograph of an actual Laco case - borrowed from Herr Knirim's reference book of German Military Timepieces. I didn't think that his book included fakes - at least he doesn't make any references to having photographed them.

And I don't think posting an image of a historical timepiece is a way of condoning the recreation of 'memorabilia'. I was under the impression that those interested in this project are fascinated by military timepieces and the practical reasons behind their designs, so I posted this particular photograph for historical reference and to illustrate that Laco cases where also used by the KM. It would be nice to be given a little credit - and if not that - at least the benefit of the doubt.

Attachments

· Registered
7,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 · (Edited)
Voting

I had wanted to start the THEME vote on Friday and carry it through the weekend until Tuesday but then there was the suggestion for having a longer vote and a shortlist of ballot items.

Here then is a shortlist I've compiled after reading through all the posts in this thread (again). Please feel free to comment or suggest changes. Once the list meets a general consent, we'll start the vote and let it run for a full week. Keep in mind that the voting system will ask everyone to rank each item on the ballot from favourite to least favourite.

Theme ideas that were most discussed:

• Airforce - Design based on Sun and Wrist Compasses used alongside the original B-Uhr
  • B-Uhr - Variation of the current Laco B-Uhr dial (change in colour, design, etc...)
  • B-Uhr - Design based on older B-Uhr designs that pre-dated the current Laco designs
  • B-Uhr - Design based on the W-SS Artillery (aka sextant) dial
  • Civilian - Non-military watch that draws inspiration from one of Laco's classic dial designs
  • Historical - Commemorative design based on either a ship, plane, unit or person from history
  • Navy - Timer designs that include stopwatches and other measurement instruments
  • Navy B-Uhr - An interpretative design that puts a Navy spin on the existing Laco B-Uhr design
  • Navy B-Uhr - Design based on vintage Laco and Lange & Söhne naval B-Uhrs

· Registered
2,451 Posts

Name? Yes, why not?
If we select a Navy theme, I suggest a name of a ship of that era.
Sorry guys, I read only the first page and I promise I will read the rest sooner or later, but I couldnt resist to post how much I love this dial and overal design of the watch! If I wanted to participate in this project, and support this design, where should I sign up? :)

221 - 240 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.