WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
by now you guys probably know purple and green are my fave colours.. :-d

man that one looks so good to me.. but it's analog and I like digital.. so I'm not sure what I will do.. lol really hope this colour scheme is applied to a different model as well but if not, I might just cave in and get it just for the colours.

edit: it's been 30min since G-Shock Australia shared the news and I can't stop looking at it! lol

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wasn't a fan of the GAC100, at least this has better color ways, but still a pass here. Miyota movement is not G-Shock to me..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well at least they're pumping out new models into 2014 when frankly I'd thought everyone would get the month off after the awesome 2013.

I prefer the digital versions also mentioned (thank you Starscream my friend) and I have made a mental note not to post up about these in a week's time haha

That Aussie crew are right on the ball aren't they?

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well at least they're pumping out new models into 2014 when frankly I'd thought everyone would get the month off after the awesome 2013.

I prefer the digital versions also mentioned (thank you Starscream my friend) and I have made a mental note not to post up about these in a week's time haha

That Aussie crew are right on the ball aren't they?
yeah, i'm surprised with all the upgrades models are receiving so soon as well, both reveals are new models.. wonder what the next reveal will be! yup G-Shock Australia seems to be the best when it comes to managing their page and posting new stuff, they are far ahead of the other country pages. It's nice that they are revealing stuff. also they are giving away a free Rangeman on their fb page!!
Hope the full catalog leaks soon though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Miyota is a brand who makes quartz and mechanical movements, but I don't know what does it have to do with G-shock?

G-shock uses their own modules, right?
Usually the do.But this one uses a Miyota quartz chrono movement.It even features a screw down crown.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after watching a few youtube reviews and posts here on the GAC100.. i gotta pass on this one for sure despite loving the colour. perfect colour combo for me, wrong model. o|

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I have seen the GAC-100 in stores and they are actually quite stylish and good looking models. But I do not like the modules and when it comes to full analogue I prefer more premium models such as the Aviators. What finally kills the GAC-100 for me is the Miyota quartz movement. One of the great things about G-Shocks and Casio in general is despite not being a premium luxury brand they have their own hearts, their own modules and movements. That is part of the pride in the brand. But this carrying a Miyota movement? That makes it not a Casio in my book!:rodekaarto| (I am not hating on Miyota movements in general here, they are quite functional and decent but in a casio I do not want to see Casio go that way...)

But that purple/green one looks really nice I must say...

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
With all the talk of the GAC series having a Miyota movement, I decided to find out for myself. I opened the back of the case of my GAC-100 to see what there is to see.

First the backplate:

Note the Model is the GAC-100AC and Module 5277

Now inside: (forgive the iPhone pics, no macro)

Note the only writing on the module is: JAPAN; UP(+); NO JEWELS; CASIO; 5277; and 4

So far as I can tell, this is a Casio internal movement. Not that it is anything exciting compared to standard G-shocks, it is a lot more like any standard Edifice instead with a 1/20 sec chrono, and a sub-seconds dial and that's it. The GAC series shares the anti-magnetic feature with the other GA models though. I do really like the GAC-100, it has a rather unusual face design and definitely carves its own path in the G-shock story. It's cool that Casio is expanding the line, and this new model is intriguing.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I've seen this "Miyoto Movement" throughout this thread. But I can't tell from sentence structure whether this would be good or bad.

Can someone explain to those of not in the know?

Also, does JonL's photos prove one way or the other?

Thank you! Always learning . . .

sent with aloha

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The thought of Casio outsourcing the mov't on a watch in their their most popular watch line must have been hard to swallow. The whole design of a G-shock includes the manufacture of the module, so outsourcing the mov't would be unthinkable ... even though a Miyota mov't would be probably be of decent quality, it wasn't something anyone here wanted to hear. Funny thing, I think it was just some poster's opinion stating it was a Miyota with no actual proof and many folks believed him. Sure, the mov't is nearly identical to any old Edifice, and since Casio apparently had used Miyota in old cheaper Edifice models in the past, one might make the assumption Casio could use Miyota today in a G. But it is just an assumption. Now that Edifice watches have gone upmarket a bit, I wonder if any still use Miyota (I know the Tough Mov't and Smart Access certainly are Casio's own) in the cheaper Edifices of today. Anyhow, it certainly appears the GAC line is a Casio inside and out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts