WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would do some public thinking out loud as the year is wrapping up. Many on this forum are seasoned aficionados. However, if you are new like me, maybe some of these will resonate.

In 2018 my collection grew from 2 to 8 watches (my beautiful Seiko Lord Marvel with linen dial is in service):

xIMG_0491.JPG

A couple of thoughts:
1) From to 2 to 8 this year. I think I am hooked....
2) Love browsing through the forum for advice and transactions. WatchPatrol became my best friend (except the limit of 8 alerts - I want to follow 100 watches dammit o|)
3) Everyone says do your homework. Doing your homework is tough. But homework is a good test whether or not you really want a watch - if you can put effort to dig through 100's of pages / pictures - probably shouldn't buy a watch
4) Practice the 3 month test (insert a reasonable amount of time). Prime example - fell in love with supercompressors --> fell in love with LLD --> purist in me wanted an LLD without a date --> oh wait those exist except they are triple the price --> start saving up --> "Do I really love it? O s**t, that was just a phase". This happens a lot. Maybe that's a function of still figuring out your tastes and preferences or maybe it is just ADD. Take a breath and don't buy a 52mm lug-to-lug!!
5) I love my Vintage Vulcain!!!
6) Chrono24 is overpriced
7) Unless one is absolutely sure, there is no reason to start a "Best GADA" thread
8) I still have to figure out how you pro hunters find those magical florida estate sales

Now... a wish list for 2019:
1) Great condition Vintage JLC Futurematic --> gotta admire the innovation
2) Ulysse Nardin Dual Time (ideally blue 223-88) --> I had an "wedding watch" thread and I think that's the one. Is anyone selling?
:-!
3) Try a chronograph
4) Find a good benrus dial-o-rama to play with
4) Start saving up for a Habring Erwin (Especially scientific or timezone dials) --> Mid-term grail at this point. Probably a 2020 watch

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Nice collection, I need to get a Luch one hander! A friend of mine is from Belarus... Not too far from where they are made.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
You say, "chrono24 is overpriced."

Are you referring to the deals there, or to the cost of the service? I've seen mostly high prices, but several deals there lately...much like ebay.

A relative noob to "flipping," I've not priced their service yet, as I keep most of my watches, and I am somewhat content paying the world's largest auction site their 10% based purely on exposure and my own sales experiences.

I would LOVE an alternative, if chrono is fair on their cut?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts