• Datejust 41 w/smooth bezel oyster bracelet

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my dilemma after a long time of hard saving and trading I'm finally able to purchase my first luxury watch. Of course the time finally comes for me to purchase one and Rolex throws a curveball with the new OP41. So personal opinion here watchuseek family.... Do I go with the OP41 In Bright Blue (Dark blue) or the Datejust 41mm smooth bezel oyster bracelet and blue dial. From all my accounts they are nearly the same minus the polished links and date on the DJ. Am I missing something here and is it really worth spending $1500 more for that? Is the case shape that different or how it wears? Does anyone have knowledge on how each wears by all my accounts there nearly identical. Thanks for the help in my decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be in your shoes in a few years...started saving for one...I thought the OP case is not as polished as the DJ though..

I say....if you are spending that much coin....you should get the one that speaks to you.

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
188 Posts
I prefer a date on my watches but hate the cyclops, so I bought a OP39 Blue.

I am trying to get an OP41 Black or White from an AD, but no luck. Found both on the Grey from reputable dealers, but at $8+K, so I passed.

The DJ is a great watch, near perfect dial, but I can't get passed the cyclops. So the OP41 it is for me.

·
Premium Member
22,806 Posts
You’re paying $1,500 for the date complication. If you’re like me who doesn’t need a date at all - not even for work as there’s plenty of other things that tell me the date, then yeah, OP41.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would choose the OP. Can’t go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
From the info that available from owners, the DJ41 bezel is 39.5mm while the OP41 is a true 41.0mm.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You can take the cyclops off any of the Rolex crystals, or have it swapped for a non cyclops version if you so desired.

The date window sits ever so slightly inward of the minute track, which I don't mind==many people don't really, do a search for cyclops removal they are everywhere--however some purists will screw themselves into the ground spinning in hatred and haunt your posts forever. Caveat...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I would go with the OP. To me a DJ without the fluted bezel is just a Oyster Perpetual Date. a DJ without a fluted bezel is just like going out in a blizzard in bare feet.

I don't know why Rolex did not just revive the Oyster Perpetual Date model of a few decades ago and put it in the lineup instead of offering a smooth bezel DJ. Any Rolex not named Cellini sells quick so this OP Date would sell well

·
Registered
108 Posts
So here's my dilemma after a long time of hard saving and trading I'm finally able to purchase my first luxury watch. Of course the time finally comes for me to purchase one and Rolex throws a curveball with the new OP41. So personal opinion here watchuseek family.... Do I go with the OP41 In Bright Blue (Dark blue) or the Datejust 41mm smooth bezel oyster bracelet and blue dial. From all my accounts they are nearly the same minus the polished links and date on the DJ. Am I missing something here and is it really worth spending $1500 more for that? Is the case shape that different or how it wears? Does anyone have knowledge on how each wears by all my accounts there nearly identical. Thanks for the help in my decision.
Can’t go wrong with the OP’s. They are very simple, elegant watches that have an excellent fit on the wrist. I got an OP39 because of this. The brushed case and bracelet make it a certified beater. I’d highly recommend the OP over the DJ if the date function isn’t a must for you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So far I'm in the minority, but I like the DJ only because I want the date. And yes, you can get the date on a computer, phone, etc- but you can also get the time that way.

·
Registered
12,180 Posts
Oyster Perpetual, because no date!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with the OP. To me a DJ without the fluted bezel is just a Oyster Perpetual Date. a DJ without a fluted bezel is just like going out in a blizzard in bare feet.

I don't know why Rolex did not just revive the Oyster Perpetual Date model of a few decades ago and put it in the lineup instead of offering a smooth bezel DJ. Any Rolex not named Cellini sells quick so this OP Date would sell well
My problem is the fluted bezel is ugly and inconsistent with the watch face design and band

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry my TV picked up some of the audio at the beginning of my statement. Again I like a smooth bezel and the standard bracelet but the

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'll be in your shoes in a few years...started saving for one...I thought the OP case is not as polished as the DJ though..

I say....if you are spending that much coin....you should get the one that speaks to you.

Good luck with your decision
I highly doubt that being the case. All Rolex watches are polished to the same standard. The difference is simply the date complication plus the bezel variations for the DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts

I agree with you on these sell well part

I agree with a sell well part I still think the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet are contrived garish and ugly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts