WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
Cannot believe no one has come back and posted photos of their watch!
I've seen some floating around on the internet and youtube (Fratello) but what about anyone here?
Well it took 15mths...
...but here you go 🙌 🤩 🍻

~~~~

p.s. We (incl. yours truely) all complained that the 321EW would be shipped in the "production" Speedmaster box but when I found out it can be purchased separately for like €700...
...well let's just say I decided to stop complaining... 😜 It's also worth noting that the 3861 production Speedmasters will not come in the same box but one that has the same texture and styling but without the additional straps, loupe, medallion, etc.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
As beautiful as the 321 is, I just don't know how I could ever justify spending almost $20k on a Speedmaster.
I'm not sure about exchange rates, but US MSRP is $14.1k, Rolex Daytona is $13.1k and the new Zenith is $10k. For those not in love with the 321, or the additional cost, the price a base Speedmaster is $6.3k. I think the hand crafted nature of the 321 is really special, but not everyone will want to pay the entry fee. Personally, it's well beyond what I am comfortable spending.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not sure about exchange rates, but US MSRP is $14.1k, Rolex Daytona is $13.1k and the new Zenith is $10k. For those not in love with the 321, or the additional cost, the price a base Speedmaster is $6.3k. I think the hand crafted nature of the 321 is really special, but not everyone will want to pay the entry fee. Personally, it's well beyond what I am comfortable spending.
Up here in Canada, it's $19,200 MSRP before taxes. That's $3k more than a Breguet Type XXI Flyback, and over $6k more than the new Zenith Chrono Sport. To be honest, the prices for the new Omega 3861 is also quite high ($8.5k for the hesalite on bracelet). Paying more than 2x the price of the basic Speedy for the 321 when I could get the Breguet or Zenith would be nuts for me.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Paying more than 2x the price of the basic Speedy for the 321 when I could get the Breguet or Zenith would be nuts for me.
I can't argue with you. I think it's a really neat watch and it's very cool that it's assembled by adjusted by a single watchmaker, but I don't think most people care. I think Omega knows this as they are only making approximately 1,000 a year.

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
...when I could get the Breguet or Zenith would be nuts for me.
Getting a [modern] Breguet at any price would be nuts for me... 😅

No, I don't suppose the 321's for you 😉🍻

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I'm busy preparing my review but here's one I posted on IG today for "#MacroMonday" ;)🍻

Beautiful photograph!! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the Ed White.

René

Reactions: Travelller

·
Registered
58 Posts
Even if you are comfortable with the price, it’s pretty much unattainable anyway. I’ve inquired about this piece just about everywhere, and while I’m envious of the images posted in this thread, I’m doubtful I’ll ever be able to make the transaction. Sellers are posting on Chrono24 for 5-10k over list price, which is ridiculous. Even if you have the funds, it’s nearly an impossible acquisition.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Even if you are comfortable with the price, it’s pretty much unattainable anyway. I’ve inquired about this piece just about everywhere, and while I’m envious of the images posted in this thread, I’m doubtful I’ll ever be able to make the transaction. Sellers are posting on Chrono24 for 5-10k over list price, which is ridiculous. Even if you have the funds, it’s nearly an impossible acquisition.
So frustrating! I wish something could be done about the reseller market. I missed the first Speedy Tuesday by about an hour and I never had a shot at a silver Snoopy.

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,508 Posts
Same sentiment as others. Really love this watch but cannot wrap my head around the price. I have an amazing 1996 Speedy that I got for a fraction of the price and it was a beautiful gilt movement visible through the case back. Far better value for money. But then again who’s shopping for these based on value for money. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of my absolute favorite Speedy's but wow the price is horrendous imho.
I had a brief conversation with an enthusiast who said 'There should be enough supply so that if someone does have the funds, they ought to be able to get one' Which is pretty much true.

Add to that, that some dealers have been taking deposits, and there's no definite numbering on any waiting list (i.e., if I phoned an OB, would I be assigned number 7 if they received any pieces. . . ) or is it up to who's dropped the most cash at that dealer?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had a brief conversation with an enthusiast who said 'There should be enough supply so that if someone does have the funds, they ought to be able to get one' Which is pretty much true.
Serious question - how is that pretty much true? If a manufacturer doesn’t have enough, they simply don’t have enough. Look at Rolex or Patek. Same with AP and the Royal Oak. The argument could be made that they should just make more, but what if they actually don’t have the capacity and resources to do that? I guess I just don’t understand how super in demand items can be expected to just magically appear.

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
Well guys, I ordered it the day it was announced and it took 15mths... so yeah, it's going to be a long wait.
In terms of wait lists, my OB informed me that the list for the 2021 Snoopy is a zillion times longer - so (in theory) it's likely to take as much time no matter which one you order. This given the fact that the Snoopy is produced via standard "assembly-line" practices but they have (at least) 20x more demand.

In terms of cost.... the Snoopy goes for (almost) €10K... . It's a beautiful Speedmaster but (IMHO) the Caliber 321 is one of a kind, given the combination of the Ed White case & dial and the 321B movement. Well worth the extra $. What I'm proposing is that if you wouldn't think twice on dropping $10K on the Snoopy, $15K should be considered "fair" for the caliber 321... .

My guess is if you had the opportunity to wear one for a few weeks, you too, would be less surprised at the price tag... (review - with LOTS of juicy pics - coming soon 😉)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Serious question - how is that pretty much true? If a manufacturer doesn’t have enough, they simply don’t have enough. Look at Rolex or Patek. Same with AP and the Royal Oak. The argument could be made that they should just make more, but what if they actually don’t have the capacity and resources to do that? I guess I just don’t understand how super in demand items can be expected to just magically appear.

The 321 was announced that they would be making X number of pieces per year. That might fluctuate, which is understandable. The comment I made could have been clarified though. What I meant was that if I am willing to spend the MSRP, and am serious about the purchase, Omega might want to ensure I make that transaction - so be serious about taking numbers, or partial deposits, and give an ETA, or assign numbers on the wait list. To date, it's random, and IMHO, nobody knows how best to navigate trying to get one of the 321 pieces being made. I'd heard six months, I'd also heard three years. Yes, they will eventually make them, but as time passes, will people lose the impulse?

181 - 198 of 198 Posts