WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 180 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

Haha, the Nexus 6P is my watching YouTube in bed phone. I've looked at them again with my current daily phone (Pixel 3), and my desktop, neither are colour calibrated, but I still don't see it.

Here are I think two of the better photos on the Omega forum due to lighting:

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/screenshot080-jpg.910001/

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/ha-jpg.909998/

Compare that to the new one:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-chronograph-39-7-mm-31130403001001

The old ones look more off white with mainly a green colour, may be a very slight pastel yellow tint to it.

The new ones are more like orange/mustard yellow and looks more like aged lume to my eyes.
The entire pictures have a tint to them most likely from analogue media over time. Its also clear to see that the dial colors are quite off, and the white hands are not white like they should be, but tinted (thus everything is tinted)...like 95% of the eBay pictures of my eBay scores (but here I should probably shut up to keep the competition down ;) ).

Also, don’t let the color of the background material in the first pic fool you. I realize it’s not easy for most folk to ‘see’ all this.

Regardless of all that mumbo jumbo, a thought experiment: how many Ed Whites (or 105.012/145.012s) have green lume today?

I have not seen one. It is highly unlikely that lume would start green and turn yellow/mustard, or vice versa, or any other color for that matter. Makes more sense that the base color remains in pristine unpatinated watches, and goes darker as it patinates or absorbs moisture (black spots?). Occam’s razor and all that. My milage clearly varies.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re: 2020 Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" 311.30.40.30.01.001

The entire pictures have a tint to them most likely from analogue media over time. Its also clear to see that the dial colors are quite off, and the white hands are not white like they should be, but tinted (thus everything is tinted)...like 95% of the eBay pictures of my eBay scores (but here I should probably shut up to keep the competition down ;) ).

Also, don’t let the color of the background material in the first pic fool you. I realize it’s not easy for most folk to ‘see’ all this.

Regardless of all that mumbo jumbo, a thought experiment: how many Ed Whites (or 105.012/145.012s) have green lume today?

I have not seen one. It is highly unlikely that lume would start green and turn yellow/mustard, or vice versa, or any other color for that matter. Makes more sense that the base color remains in pristine unpatinated watches, and goes darker as it patinates or absorbs moisture (black spots?). Occam’s razor and all that. My milage clearly varies.

Cheers.
Well, I guess unless someone that have actually seen the original when they left the factory in 1960s can chime in, it's hard for us to assess it based in the available photos.

Anyway, it's a colour choice, and some like it, some don't. I'm in the latter camp, but I think lume colour aside, this is an amazing watch, and I would choose one over other options at a similar price point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Haha, the Nexus 6P is my watching YouTube in bed phone. I've looked at them again with my current daily phone (Pixel 3), and my desktop, neither are colour calibrated, but I still don't see it.
https://omegaforums.net/attachments/ha-jpg.909998/
This photo has been posted here earlier and now again, yet no comments - makes me think am I only one seeing whats really wrong (big time) with the picture? Hint : its not related to lume. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Put the ceramic bezel on the sapphire sandwich and charge $5k less.

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
...As for the choice of SuperLuminova color; either you like the "aged patina" look or you don't. I don't ... but I'll live ;-) The suggestion that (new) Tritium paint /lume was never really white is plausible. However, based on my own recollection and the photos being circulated, if anything, the tritium paint had a green tinge to it. That green shade was most likely due to the fact that it was constantly emitting (green) light - regardless if seen in a lit room or in the darkness. A product photo-shoot usually takes place in a studio and despite the strong lighting, it's not sunlight and so there's a possibility that the tritium's (green) "illumination" will be (slightly) visible... :think:

...They are portraying patina* and not "fresh" tritium paint. Same as almost every other brand has been doing since what, 2013? Some are really over the damn top with "tropical" dials and burnt markers (al la radium), while others are much more demure, like our 321 Ed White...
Ok, so this is what the Moonwatch-Only lads have to say ... :think:

So, that's that, then... ;-)

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
I'm probably one of the few that don't understand the hype over this model or the caliber 321. Please enlighten me...
In terms of accuracy / reliability, I believe it's on par with the 861. Aside from the possible column-wheel break... . Nope, the new 321 movement is a pure emotional investment, no more, no less.

...Omega is really taking a chance with this. I can easily see it not selling out. That's alot of money for a 2.5Hz (18,000 bpm) movement. Maybe they should've retailed it for $8k. Are there really that many Speedmaster aficionados that lust after a 321 caliber?
Well, I think there are a lot of new Speedmaster fans that came onto the scene after prices for vintage pieces skyrocketed. Then there are those like me that are uncomfortable with vintage in terms of the inherent risks (fakes / frankenwatches / overpaying / etc). Nevertheless, we love & want a piece of history and we're ready to pay for the opportunity to experience it, even if it's in the forum of a tribute / re-creation and not the "real deal"... .

Actually I would like to see a Speedmaster Pro with a 3861 movement as well.
what do you mean by a Speedmaster Pro? Last year's XI 50th was a SMP... . My bet is that 2020's XIII 50th will almost certainly be a SMP and almost certainly with the 3861. I see the 1861 being phased out; if not abruptly, then gradually, but I would imagine all LEs will for sure be the first place Omega uses the 3861.

Since it is a machine produced / finished movement / watch, the hand work is equivalent to assembling a completely torn down 321 post service. How long does that take? I so wish my business could charge 10x (or more) cost for our products :).
Al Archer, an Omega-service certified watchmaker over at Omega Forums said it takes ~7hrs to take apart and rebuild a "used" 321 movement; this means a movement where parts may need to be replaced or at least re-fitted for proper operation. He said putting together a 321 with brand new parts is much easier and suggests that the "one watchmaker" assigned to assembling the 321 Ed white could not only manage it in less time, but most likely could average two per day... (!)

So when is horizontal clutch a feature? Last time I checked horizontal clutch were inferior design for a chronograph (compared to vertical clutch). In addition to one "watch maker", that's are all marketing BS. Grand Seiko implements a one watch maker for their watch too (with better finishing) but I don't see any one bragging about that. Nor do I see them asking 14k usd price tag. ...The Speedmaster caliber .321 only known by a very niche group of Enthusiast within the speedmaster fan club. 2000 Ed White a year is a lot. Majority of Speedy owners and followers don't even care about the caliber .321. ...
I agree with the above points but would point out that Omega never stated that the 321 was technically superior to any other movement they have used for the Speedmaster. If we make that assumption then it's our fault, not theirs. I really do believe Omega made this specifically for us (Speedmaster enthusiasts).

... The reason why I wouldn't consider it (other than the fact that it is out of my budget) is because the twisted lugs and crown guard are part of the Speedmaster look I enjoy. Without them it becomes a little bit more like other chronographs for me.
I can't unread this... *sigh* I have to agree that the twisted lugs are pretty awesome. But ok, the 321EW won't be the first "throwback" reference I buy. My recent Seiko-diver tributes all look a bit more drab than their contemporaries, but ...in many ways that's the attraction of these tributes - they hark back to days of sparse design principles.

I'm never going to buy one, but I beg to differ. IMO opinion Omega has done a bit more, than just popped a different movement in their regular model:
- revived the production of a legendary movement long time discontinued
- recreated 105.003 step dial with applied logo
- made a sapphire DON-bezel
- used a vintage style case (already in FOIS, I give you that)
- used a vintage style bracelet

I think it's kind of cool they created this old Ed White in steel, with all the details that Speedy freaks get nostalgic about. This model is definitely not designed with average luxury consumer in mind...
Agree :-! Just note that the case is not the same as the FOIS - according to Robert-Jan (Fratello Watches) the case is unique.

Great watch, but crazy price! Knowing Omega, they will leverage this thing as far as possible. The movement will be used in many many watches, and there will be 4,628 different limited edition versions which will be coming out in the near future. I shall sit in the sidelines and watch Omega do what they do best and water this down.
I don't believe that will be the case, assuming by "this thing" you mean the 321 movement. Limited Editions will continue as has been the case for the past decades but what brand in the same class isn't doing the same... :think:

·
Registered
34 Posts

I don't believe that will be the case, assuming by "this thing" you mean the 321 movement. Limited Editions will continue as has been the case for the past decades but what brand in the same class isn't doing the same... :think:
Rolex, Nomos, Tudor...just to name the first few that came to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I can't unread this... *sigh* I have to agree that the twisted lugs are pretty awesome. But ok, the 321EW won't be the first "throwback" reference I buy. My recent Seiko-diver tributes all look a bit more drab than their contemporaries, but ...in many ways that's the attraction of these tributes - they hark back to days of sparse design principles.
Its interesting for me how much people pay attention to lugs. Personally I dont even look at the lugs that much, after owning speedy for 15years, after 5 or so I had to find out what is "twisted lug", not a big deal for me. However, If i really start to stare at the lug shapes and put my speedy fan glasses on, in a way, I think I like more ed white style straight lugs, much more simpler and cleaner look.

And what comes to price, got change to get one modern ed white (311.30.40.30.01.001) for 11,000 USD, but I thought the price was still to high. Am I right still hitting myself in the head not pulling trigger on that one?

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
...got change to get one modern ed white (311.30.40.30.01.001) for 11,000 USD, but I thought the price was still to high. Am I right still hitting myself in the head not pulling trigger on that one?
This reference is obviously not for you, so you did well to pass it up. Now maybe a real fan (of the 321EW) will get the same opportunity :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This reference is obviously not for you, so you did well to pass it up. Now maybe a real fan (of the 321EW) will get the same opportunity
The problem is, I think this model is exactly for me, but at the time i just couldnt justify the price, i pondered that back an forth for three days. I am Speedmaster freak, past 15years. Now i am thinking unloading my 861 speedy to partially fund this, but i doubt there will be such change again for 11k. Well, time will tell.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Grand Seiko implements a one watch maker for their watch too (with better finishing) but I don't see any one bragging about that.
I see someone that has never visited the GS forum.

People complain about mass market movements being built Henry Ford style by technicians not watchmakers, then people compain about a company using a single watchmaker and using it in marketing.

Another thing to note is the 1000-2000 number is not just the EW Speedys it is the number of 321s Omega expects to make. Omega is going to case them in other watches besides the Platinum and EW.

While I am a little suprised at the price, I do think they will sell.

Reactions: Trog

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

I stopped in to the Omega AD (factory botique) near me again today to look around again. I almost felt guilty going in time after time without buying. Im glad i turned around while walking (sneeking) past, the draw was too much to resist. I do want to ad my first chrono to the collection and keep going back to the speedy for a few years now while always buying something else, (Rolex and a recent VC overseas) I had a good long and sincere chat with the SA/WIS He did say the new 321 coming out is pretty much spoken for by VIPs and the first year there will only be approx. 1000 pieces as there are only a few select watchmakers who will be building them and them only...A lot of factory pride is going into this Ed White edition. Talking more and asking questions of the orig. hesalite moonwatch, bracelet fitting etc. He (once i mentioned bracelet) brought up for me to wait for summer as they will also (under the radar) compared to the EW have another hesalite moonwatch coming out, the same but with a newer designed clean and tapered bracelet and also a few tweeks to the movement. Now I'm getting excited, anyway he said he'd call me with the first news he hears and leaving with a couple books i told him I'll be back now bugging him while i wait. I'm really glad i stopped in now and my love for Omega is building again after being disappointed with the one previous Omega i had. BTW.. I thought this new EW was just another hyped LE, boy was i wrong and learned a lot today. I know now you guys waiting for this are really going to be getting something truly special... Cheers and Enjoy...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts

...Talking more and asking questions of the orig. hesalite moonwatch, bracelet fitting etc. He (once i mentioned bracelet) brought up for me to wait for summer as they will also (under the radar) compared to the EW have another hesalite moonwatch coming out, the same but with a newer designed clean and tapered bracelet and also a few tweeks to the movement...
T4S :-!
This sounds to me like the next-gen "standard" Moonwatch which will house the new 3861/3. Indeed, the 1861/3 will be phased out (imho).

As great as that will be, I'm still more into the 321 EW (& maybe the XIII LE) ;-) |>

·
Registered
311 Posts
The problem is, I think this model is exactly for me, but at the time i just couldnt justify the price, i pondered that back an forth for three days. I am Speedmaster freak, past 15years. Now i am thinking unloading my 861 speedy to partially fund this, but i doubt there will be such change again for 11k. Well, time will tell.
For those concerned about the Omega 321 value proposition, I fixed it for you:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Soo-o...its soon June, any live sightings yet?

I havent heard or seen anything yet, even kept my eyes open, it seems to be quite dead in Omegaforums also when it comes to this model.

Except some watchmaker (Lewiswatchco) apparently cased an old cal321 into new ed white 311.30.40.30.01.001 case with apparently same reference hands,bezel and dial (https://www.instagram.com/p/B_oz36pHaEc/)

EdWhite2020_Case._small.jpg

I was suprised to find out that some people lost interest to this watch (and dropping out of the order queue) after seeing "real photos" and not advertisement photos. To me it looks exactly how I expected it to look, shame he did not get that bracelet also, we could have seen how it looks like.

On a sidenote, saw 311.30.40.30.01.001 listed in one EU official retailer homepage for 12000USD, of course not in stock and delivery time 5weeks.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Cannot believe no one has come back and posted photos of their watch!

I've seen some floating around on the internet and youtube (Fratello) but what about anyone here?

·
Registered
see my sig ;-)
2,429 Posts
Cannot believe no one has come back and posted photos of their watch! I've seen some floating around on the internet and youtube (Fratello) but what about anyone here?
Robert-Jan got his - what, six weeks ago? It was the THIRD one produced so I think it will be hard to find many new owners until 2021... 🤷‍♂️
On OF-dot-net's main 321 Ed White thread there's a total of three registered (incl. RJ's) - one belonging to the owner of the Platinum 321... 🤨😉

Believe-you-me, I'm looking forward to finally seeing it in the flesh 🙌😃🍻

·
Registered
896 Posts
Interestingly, Omega has scrubbed their site of any references to "Ed White" in relation to this watch.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Robert-Jan got his - what, six weeks ago? It was the THIRD one produced so I think it will be hard to find many new owners until 2021... 🤷‍♂️
On OF-dot-net's main 321 Ed White thread there's a total of three registered (incl. RJ's) - one belonging to the owner of the Platinum 321... 🤨😉

Believe-you-me, I'm looking forward to finally seeing it in the flesh 🙌😃🍻
Fair enough - I wasn't aware it was that limited in their release but was thinking it would be something like 50-100 units per month world wide but that's just me wishful thinking haha

There was one person who received theirs in AU and I've already bugged him twice for photos lol

Reactions: Travelller
161 - 180 of 198 Posts