WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and new to Rolex.

Just bought a pre-owned 2020 Sub (116610LN) from a Japanese store via Chrono24. All seems good but there is some "backplay" in the bezel - i.e. after I twist it anticlockwise, there can be about a degree or two of movement clockwise before it locks.

I guess with 120 clicks in a full rotation there will be some gaps (~2mm per click) but just want to check if this is normal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mine does a little and so does my Sea Dweller. The Sea Dweller was bought new in 2020 and the Submariner in 2019. The Sea Dweller bezel is more tactile whereas the Submariner sounds more clicky though it's harder to turn if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yep, my 2020 also does this (barely).

·
Registered
18,258 Posts
New to the forum and new to Rolex.

Just bought a pre-owned 2020 Sub (116610LN) from a Japanese store via Chrono24. All seems good but there is some "backplay" in the bezel - i.e. after I twist it anticlockwise, there can be about a degree or two of movement clockwise before it locks.

I guess with 120 clicks in a full rotation there will be some gaps (~2mm per click) but just want to check if this is normal.

Thanks.
To answer your question, there is no back play on mine. I think you had better check yours out if you are getting 2mm per click. There are 60 divisions for 60 minutes on the watch dial. A 120 click bezel means that each click is only half a minute and I am looking at my dial and half a minute isn't even 1mm. Not sure how you got 2mm per click. Something is wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I estimated ~2mm (40mm X 2 x PI / 120) but looking at it it's really 1mm at most. I counted 120 clicks in a full rotation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine does a little and so does my Sea Dweller. The Sea Dweller was bought new in 2020 and the Submariner in 2019. The Sea Dweller bezel is more tactile whereas the Submariner sounds more clicky though it's harder to turn if that makes sense.

That's reassuring - thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer your question, there is no back play on mine. I think you had better check yours out if you are getting 2mm per click. There are 60 divisions for 60 minutes on the watch dial. A 120 click bezel means that each click is only half a minute and I am looking at my dial and half a minute isn't even 1mm. Not sure how you got 2mm per click. Something is wrong.
Thanks. With COVID I can't get to a dealer to have it checked right now but will do as soon as lockdown lifts. Wanted really to check if this is something I should report to the seller or if it's OK.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My SD4k does that too. What's more annoying is that when "locking" it clockwise, the 12 o'clock marker doesn't line up perfectly with 12 o'clock on the dial.

According to an AD, that should be fixable under warranty, so I may have to take Rolex up on that.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I estimated ~2mm (40mm X 2 x PI / 120) but looking at it it's really 1mm at most. I counted 120 clicks in a full rotation.
My play is definitely less than 1mm for sure. It's barely there. I also have to work to get it; it doesn't just move without touching. Assume yours is the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly less than 1mm, and sometimes no play at all. It's not loose, and I need to apply a little bit of force to move it.

·
Registered
18,258 Posts
Mostly less than 1mm, and sometimes no play at all. It's not loose, and I need to apply a little bit of force to move it.
You made a small mistake, Circumference C = d X pi (or 2r X pi), 40mm X 3.1416 = 125,664mm / 120 = 1,04mm per click
Thanks to our Rolex brother here, PF, we know that one click equals 1.04mm travel in the radian arc.

However, due to the way the notch for the clicks is designed (like a ratchet) the back play should be less than 0.3mm or nearly imperceptible. If you can feel it or if it is too much, then either the bezel is worn out or has been removed by the previous owner and not reinstalled properly. I would say that it has had too much fore play

Anyway, to sum it up, the bezel of a Rolex uni-directional bezel is one of the best in the market and you shouldn’t have this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once it's set. It shouldn't move back at all. Movement prior to it being set is normal and not something to worry about.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My SD4k does that too. What's more annoying is that when "locking" it clockwise, the 12 o'clock marker doesn't line up perfectly with 12 o'clock on the dial.

According to an AD, that should be fixable under warranty, so I may have to take Rolex up on that.
You would be surprised how many bezels have that problem and do not line up. Someone at your AD with Rolex warranty knowledge may even tell you that it’s within tolerances and won’t be fixed under warranty. Happened to my uncle with his 116610.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You would be surprised how many bezels have that problem and do not line up. Someone at your AD with Rolex warranty knowledge may even tell you that it’s within tolerances and won’t be fixed under warranty. Happened to my uncle with his 116610.
Yeah, I am aware that that might be a reply I get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts