WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2021 advent calendar?

18K views 132 replies 32 participants last post by  WwD 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have had a Marine Original silver dial in my basket for months now but can never quite bring myself to pull the trigger. I have done the necessary searches and I understand that Stowa doesn't offer discount codes. I did read about previous advent calendars though and just had it confirmed from their helpdesk that it'll run again this year. My question is, what sort of reductions to the advent calendars generally offer? Ergo, are they worth waiting for? I envisage a long winter of me lazily winding my 6498!!
Cheers.

#2 ·
In an email from the last event they showed a Marine Klassik 40 for €750 instead of €950. I would expect to save 100€ or so. But don’t forget the wait times. You may order in December but be waiting till February. (Depending on their delivery estimate)

Here is picture of email:

Product Font Material property Poster Advertising

Reactions: gaidong
#3 ·
In an email from the last event they showed a Marine Klassik 40 for €750 instead of €950. I would expect to save 100€ or so. But don’t forget the wait times. You may order in December but be waiting till February. (Depending on their delivery estimate)

Here is picture of email:

View attachment 16233819
That's great. No hurry my end and definitely sounds worth waiting for! Thanks.

#4 ·
Definitely worth the wait IMO. Amazing company and service. Also note that they dont always offer every model for the Christmas sale. Although your particular model is popular so you should be ok.

#19 ·
nah,... just generally keeps me from a deep sleep. I'll then have a good chance of being conscious.

I am hoping the watch I have my sights on comes up before too long! The last time I took advantage of their advent calendar, I think it was the watch that appeared at 1:00 AM that I hit the buy-it button for. I think it's a lot of fun but if I don't get lucky, I'll probably buy it at full price anyway.

I would've gone for the Verus but I already own a Damasko DS30.

#20 · (Edited)
Is it just me or is interest in Stowa declining?

They without doubt make good watches, but personally I have become a bit disinterested in the brand. I am tired of the limited editions, I dislike models sharing the same case design and I am bored of the limited choice of movements. The constant price increases (another due next month) means I don't see where the value now lies, as they are now competing with some major brands in terms of price point - prices have gone up, but their offer hasn't improved, while their competitors have. These advent calendar offers used to sell out in seconds, now they sit for days without being sold.

#21 ·
It seems that most of the Advent calendar items are now on offer at a 15% discount. While this is nice, my recollection is that the discount was in the 30% range going back a few years ago. When I picked up an Advent sale Stowa a few years ago I felt I received a tremendous bargain that was hard to resist… at 15% off the watch would already have to be on my short list before picking it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Yes I see what you mean but I guess for someone like me who's looking for a high quality impeccably made watch, it still has its appeal. I don't have enough watches for this to matter. In other words, I like their Stowa's Marine watches. When I look at Laco's version and compare it to Stowa's, I still prefer Stowa's. But yes, I get what you're saying....I have other hobbies and I've seen this same type of thing related to hum-drum roll-outs. Benchmade knives vs Spyderco comes to mind.

#35 ·
I confess, I'm also quite partial to the Tourby. This one comes in at 43mm but they have a 40/41 (though prefer this dial and handset), and I'm fond of the partly skeletonised movement. What I'm less keen on is that finishing only seems to be available on a 6498-2 and I really want the sedate 2.5 Hz movement. And it's twice the price! How do you lot reckon these compare with the Marine Original?
Watch Analog watch White Light Product
Watch Analog watch Font Watch accessory Auto part

#39 ·
Been watching the Advent but, yeah, not terribly excited so far. BUT, I've got a Marine Roman and Marine Arabic; an Archimede (bronze) pilot; and a Dekla Deckwatch (also bronze). So it's not like I'm looking for something in those styles. I've got a Tangente and a Club to address the Bauhaus style.

If I get another toolish German, I'm leaning to a Turbulenz in their 6steel with some pop of color...maybe the seconds hand, maybe the dial. Or, a Damasko with their in-house movement. I'd love to see solid alternatives to the usual ETA/Sellita tree become broadly available at reasonable price points.

#43 ·
That explains why I was able to request a hand wind version of the Marine Auto they listed in the calendar a few years back. But there was not a hand wind option listed in the selection. I aquired it by an email request. Low and behold, an tandwind was delivered! btw, it was new not used. Not saying it wasn't a watch used for a display, but certainly not used.

#45 ·
I know this is off topic, but does anyone have any idea if Stowa will make a move towards implementing notable in-house manufacturing/movements? I wouldn't mind seeing an option or two just to see what they can pull off. Not complaining at all about the current use of ETA and Selitta, as they currently do offer a lot of watch for the money.

Now on topic, I purchased an Antea 365 from last year's advent, and it's been nothing but a joy to wear. Why not offer display and pre-owned watches (but in great condition) directly to customers, instead of dumping them onto the grey market? So far so good:

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Gesture

#46 ·
I know this is off topic, but does anyone have any idea if Stowa will make a move towards implementing notable in-house manufacturing/movements? I wouldn't mind seeing an option or two just to see what they can pull off. Not complaining at all about the current use of ETA and Selitta, as they currently do offer a lot of watch for the money.

Now on topic, I purchased an Antea 365 from last year's advent, and it's been nothing but a joy to wear. Why not offer display and pre-owned watches (but in great condition) directly to customers, instead of dumping them onto the grey market? So far so good:
Notable in-house movements ? What could that be ?
Movements from Tempus Arte Group ? UWD ? I tend to say that we won‘t see that. Too expensive, a Stowa with UWD movement would cost double the price of a Rana.
Movements from other German manufacturers ? Nomos ? Nomos does not sell ebauches to other companies. Damasko ? Might be an option if Stowa is willing to pay the price which will catapult a Stowa Klassik into the €1800 - €2000 bracket. See what Germano and Findeisen ask for watches with Damasko movements.

Stowa sells all watches (new, display) directly to their customers. Never ever noticed they are dumping watches onto the grey market. IMHO and as far as I remember they never did. Not their business model.

#49 ·
lets say i would be a hardcore Stowa fan and want e.g. a Marine Original in a Sterling Silver case plus a customized Unitas 6498-2 with „durowe“ Bridges/Cocks i might Pay 3.000 plus Euros.

could me a niche for fans.

DUW Company could be capable of producing such customized Parts.

#53 ·
I must confess, I have bowed out of the calendar wait. I have been researching watches with 6498s for months now and was fixed on the Stowa Marine Original as an entry level option (ultimately I'd like a Garrick S4). However, I ended up playing on eBay and AliExpress this weekend and bought case, dial and hands from a French e-shop (actually less than 20km from me) and a Seagull skeletonised movement from China... The Seagull is 3 Hz when I really wanted a 2.5 Hz but even if Stowa do 15% on their watch, I've still saved over €1000 to scratch this persistent itch. If the build kit doesn't work out, not much lost, and I can dissect the movement to my heart's delight. I could even replace the movement with a customised ETA if needed. Oh well, if the calendar had come up trumps in the first 10-12 days I would certainly have pulled the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.