WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the Speedy Pro enthusiasts out there: I know that everyone is gushing over the new 2021 Speedy bracelet, but I'm in the minority here. I love all the upgrades and improvements of the 2021 Speedy with the exception of the bracelet. The main sticking point is that the taper is a bit too much for my tastes (bracelet tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 15mm at the clasp). So I much prefer the previous generation bracelet given its negligible taper. My question is a simple one: Is the previous generation Speedy bracelet compatible with the 2021 Speedy? In other words, I would be looking to replace the new 2021 bracelet with the previous generation bracelet and I wanted to see if I could simply swap bracelets.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I asked the salesman at the omega boutique the same question- yes you can swap them as long as you spend the extra $700 buying the other bracelet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you tried on the watch with the new bracelet? It may change your mind.
Yes, tried it on the boutique. It's no doubt a lovely bracelet and much more aesthetically pleasing than its predecessor, but I just can't over the taper and that's the deal breaker. If it wasn't for the taper, it would be the perfect bracelet for the Speedy Pro.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yes, tried it on the boutique. It's no doubt a lovely bracelet and much more aesthetically pleasing than its predecessor. But I just can't over the taper and that's the deal breaker. If it wasn't for the taper, it would be the perfect bracelet for the Speedy Pro.
But the taper is precisely one of the things that make it much more aesthetically pleasing. It’s a package. The taper harks back to the original Speedy bracelets and it makes the watch more comfortable to wear. It’s like saying I like everything about the Speedmaster except the dial layout.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
But the taper is precisely one of the things that make it much more aesthetically pleasing. It’s a package. The taper harks back to the original Speedy bracelets and it makes the watch more comfortable to wear. It’s like saying I like everything about the Speedmaster except the dial layout.
The different bracelet link style and the new style clasp is what makes it aesthetically appealing to me, and definitely not the taper — historical significance or not. The taper may work for people such as yourself. Great. Given that we are all distinct individuals with varying personal opinions, the taper certainly does not work for everyone as a matter of personal preference. And that's perfectly fine too, so to each their own. So yes, someone may say they like everything about the Speedmaster except the dial layout. There is nothing wrong that person's opinion since they are free to like or dislike whatever aspect of the Speedy they so choose. That person’s opinion is not any less valid than any other opinion.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The different bracelet link style and the new style clasp is what makes it aesthetically appealing to me, and definitely not the taper — historical significance or not. The taper may work for people such as yourself. Great. Given that we are all distinct individuals with varying personal opinions, the taper certainly does not work for everyone as a matter of personal preference. And that's perfectly fine too, so to each their own. So yes, someone may say they like everything about the Speedmaster except the dial layout. There is nothing wrong that person's opinion since they are free to like or dislike whatever aspect of the Speedy they so choose. That person’s opinion is not any less valid than any other opinion.
Okay, but then I’m not sure I understand the point of getting the new Speedmaster. Sure you get an improved movement and a stepped dial. Is that alone worth paying $1,500 more for the watch? The old movement has the distinction of being NASA qualified and having been up in space. It’s a movement that’s tried and tested for something like 50 years. I guess everyone has their own logic.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, but then I’m not sure I understand the point of getting the new Speedmaster. Sure you get an improved movement and a stepped dial. Is that alone worth paying $1,500 more for the watch? The old movement has the distinction of being NASA qualified and having been up in space. It’s a movement that’s tried and tested for something like 50 years. I guess everyone has their own logic.
There is absolutely no need for you to understand why someone would want to get the new Speedmaster. Said individual has their own personal reasons and not you or anyone else is owed any explanation whatsoever, so it is puzzling trying to figure out why someone's else personal preferences has apparently become your concern. No one is asking you to agree with a differing opinion, but the fact that you keep trying to poke holes at someone else's personal preferences, well..."I guess everyone has their own logic." Just. Move. On.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There is absolutely no need for you to understand why someone would want to get the new Speedmaster. Said individual has their own personal reasons and not you or anyone else is owed any explanation whatsoever, so it is puzzling trying to figure out why someone's else personal preferences has apparently become your concern. No one is asking you to agree with a differing opinion, but the fact that you keep trying to poke holes at someone else's personal preferences, well..."I guess everyone has their own logic." Just. Move. On.
Dude, this is a WIS discussion forum. People question each other all the time, without getting their knickers in a twist as our British friends say. It’s a give and take. You’re going to get whatever watch you want but it’s interesting to hear about people’s thinking. You’re uncomfortable discussing your motives other than to say they’re personal! Fine. Your call. Peace out.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, this is a WIS discussion forum. People question each other all the time, without getting their knickers in a twist as our British friends say. It’s a give and take. You’re going to get whatever watch you want but it’s interesting to hear about people’s thinking. You’re uncomfortable discussing your motives other than to say they’re personal! Fine. Your call. Peace out.
It is interesting to hear others' thinking, but what's not so interesting is pooping on said thinking. There would be more "comfort" in discussing "motives" other than saying they're personal if there was less pooping and more of a constructive attitude.

Yes, indeed, peace out.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does anyone know if the reverse works , will the new 2021 bracelet fit the previous generation watch .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know if the reverse works , will the new 2021 bracelet fit the previous generation watch .
I’m almost positive. Just saw a vid on YouTube of someone going into a boutique and getting the bracelet for his 2020 version.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just ordered new version bracelet for my older 1861 version. Omega Boutique said they would not swap the bracelets. I can handle on my own easily enough, but why won’t OB handle swap? Both are OEM Omega products purchase though ADs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may be interested in trading plus cash if you wanted to swap bracelets from my ‘19.
I still haven't purchased it yet, but I would definitely be interested in doing this trade. Since you would be getting the newest generation bracelet in unworn condition, I would expect that your bracelet is in similarly mint/excellent condition as well.

Just ordered new version bracelet for my older 1861 version. Omega Boutique said they would not swap the bracelets. I can handle on my own easily enough, but why won’t OB handle swap? Both are OEM Omega products purchase though ADs.

Maybe if you purchased the new bracelet through the OB, they may have done the swap for you? Who knows...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I still haven't purchased it yet, but I would definitely be interested in doing this trade. Since you would be getting the newest generation bracelet in unworn condition, I would expect that your bracelet is in similarly mint/excellent condition as well.

Maybe if you purchased the new bracelet through the OB, they may have done the swap for you? Who knows...
I actually did purchase the new bracelet through the OB. Not a big deal, just odd.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any more bracelet swappers out there? I’m fascinated by how opinionated people are about the new bracelet versus previous version (including myself). Polarizing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts