WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the watch world and only in 2020 that I had the means to purchase a 15k watch. Unfortunately for me and I guess a lot of people are getting anxious about the wait times for rolex AD's.

This will be my first rolex if ever

I am in Houston and the main store in Galleria won't even take my name and told me that there is a 2 year waitlist. I know this is BS because another rolex ad in my area told me it will be first come first serve and random watch delivery to each dealer.

I am on a current waitlist for a couple of ADs here is Houston? How long is the wait time for a GMT or bluesy Sub or Green bezel sub last year? Should I expect a longer wait time

It seems like I have to purchase a datejust in order to get a higher model? Is this the norm for most ADs?

I think I made a mistake of purchasing a grand seiko and I don't like the thickness of 14mm.

TIA

·
Registered
39,207 Posts
Depends who you are and how much money you have spent with the AD.

There is no wait list, they sell to who they like.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sorry to break the news to you, but there is a 99.9% chance you will never be called if you don't buy lots of other things. Yes there are those one or two random guys who are going to say 'not true I got one without any purchase history' but chances are that won't be you.

Better to just consider that a 10k Submariner will cost you 15k. And hey, that's what your budget is, so get on chrono24 and get your watch today!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Find a Rolex AD where they're willing to speak with you and treat you well. Tell them you want the watch to commemorate the birth of your new child due X date, or 40th birthday or whatever. Stop by every 6 weeks or so just to pop in and talk watches, this helps if you find someone there who is actually into watches.

I used to call my AD maybe 2x a month and pop in here and there. This was easy for me cause theres a Swiss Chocolate place near my AD which I was addicted to anyways.

No guarantee, but it'll give you a better shot. Do I think we should have to do this kind of stuff? No, but if you're gonna play their games it's more important to ask about a good strategy rather than asking others how long they've waited.

My AD can get me most things in 6 weeks, but the manager knows me now. My three biggest tips are to find a sales person who actually enjoys watches as a hobby, tell them you want a watch for a milestone, and check in frequently.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I am new to the watch world and only in 2020 that I had the means to purchase a 15k watch. Unfortunately for me and I guess a lot of people are getting anxious about the wait times for rolex AD's.

I am in Houston and the main store in Galleria won't even take my name and told me that there is a 2 year waitlist. I know this is BS because another rolex ad in my area told me it will be first come first serve and random watch delivery to each dealer.

I am on a current waitlist for a couple of ADs here is Houston? How long is the wait time for a GMT or bluesy Sub or Green bezel sub last year? Should I expect a longer wait time

It seems like I have to purchase a datejust in order to get a higher model? Is this the norm for most ADs?

I think I made a mistake of purchasing a grand seiko and I don't like the thickness of 14mm.

TIA
My LV Sub took 7 months and 5 days. I give details in my video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find it so ridiculous that you have to literally chase after a business to give them your money!!

So many other great watches out there. Some fantastic homages as well if you are after that Rolex feel. BB58 is probably the closest thing you can get to submariner, without any wait lists or having to buy a watch you don't want or stopping by the AD every few weeks to prove your loyalty.

I can afford a Rolex, but I'm not going to for a few reasons, the biggest one probably being an extreme dislike to such business practices. I could be in a minority of course!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like Rolex, too. I find their business practices interesting. I would have adjusted my selling price to the market price. But I actually appreciate this. Rolex is overheated right now, so I have no interest whatsoever in acquiring one. If the Rolex bubble bursts one day, I’ll be their happy customer again. But only if their sale price does not increase significantly more than the inflation rate.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I can afford a Rolex, but I'm not going to for a few reasons, the biggest one probably being an extreme dislike to such business practices. I could be in a minority of course!

I don’t understand what you mean by “…such business practices…” ?

Your resentment is misplaced and should be towards the market, not the company.

Rolex is not doing anything questionable (as you insinuate). Maybe you don’t approve of the practices the ADs are engaged in? Maybe you don’t like having (worldwide) competition for the items you want … and maybe you don’t like that (worldwide) competition is able, ready, and prepared to outbid you.

EVERY COMPANY would LOVE to have a public so enthusiastic that every product it produced is in such high demand that it has waiting lists (sometimes years long), the market values the product higher than retail immediately and over time, an untouchable brand, and is the world’s largest producer in their segment (fine mechanical watches, in this case).

Don’t be so pedantic, misdirecting your frustrations towards the company … when it is actually the market and situation you dislike.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
For 30 years, our family has been patronizing an AD. We are no 'whale spenders' by any length: besides my watches, we have semi-regularly bought (modest) jewelry from them (e.g. for Christmas, graduation, etc.). They can get me any piece I want, provided that I give them time, that my budget can accommodate it (easier said than done), and that I wait a few years before reselling, if I'm tired of the watch (if I buy to flip, and they find out, I'm done).

Even with a privileged relationship like that, my wait can be a year long. In your situation, most look at anything from 18 months to never (depending on the model and market in which you are... e.g. some cities have one single AD, making things even harder for every potential buyer). Or, your other choice is to be spending tons on 'other stuff' at the AD, to jump the wait lists (even then, there is a waiting period involved).

In that situation, it may be worth for you to bite the bullet and try a grey market reseller (personally I hate them!) or a private individual flipping their watch. It'll sting the wallet, but at least you'll have the watch you desire.

Don't forget, many Rolex are 13mm, some close to 14mm thickness even. In the flesh, their wrist presence can surprise.

Reactions: Joe Blow

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Find a good AD (I usually prefer smaller mom-n-pop type instead of nation franchise). And yes, when it comes to ADs and certain models, they are "allocation pieces" and determined by the store mgr. This is where you can get a Rolex in 2 weeks or 4 months to NEVER. It comes down to the relationship u have formed in the store and whether the store mgr feels obliged to give you that "call" over 300 people that have signed up on the waitlist.

Usually if u have a purchase history, this helps a bit but from Reddit and other subs, I've read people with ZERO purchase actually get watches within 6 months.

I mean a year is not too bad..if u got on the waitlist last summer, you might get something this summer. A lot of buyers simply don't have the patience nor wanna play "AD games" so simply overpay and go grey market.

In the end, it's just a watch (at least for me) ...so waiting for it for 6 months is no biggie but I will not go grey market. On the waitlist for new ExpII since September and AD had quoted me 4-6 months back then. Zero purchase history here but AD did give me a Rolex hardcover magazine last time I was in the store. I've been instore twice and usually do a monthly check-in via email and the store mgr does reply back with a "I got ya...if something comes up that matches your preference, I'll text ya".

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it depends most on who they like and who they think will appreciate the watch most. I for example just picked up my first Rolex, a Z-Blue Milgauss. I had no purchase history with the AD and waited 4 months. According to the sales person there were dozens of others who were waiting for the milgauss but I am a neuroscience PhD student who works in a research lab around a lot electromagnetic radiation. I also loves watches so they wanted it to go to me because it is a watch designed for scientists.

Haha, on the flip side I would love to be able to purchase a 36mm Tiffany OP for my sister by 2024 as a med school graduation present but they said that will be unlikely since they have seen so few watches period over the past couple years and there are a million people wanting the Tiffany OPs.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

TIA
If you think you can just walk in to get a datejust you haven't been to an AD recently.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My LV Sub took 7 months and 5 days. I give details in my video

Thank for sharing Doug! I really enjoyed your thoughts and story on the watch!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Find a Rolex AD where they're willing to speak with you and treat you well. Tell them you want the watch to commemorate the birth of your new child due X date, or 40th birthday or whatever. Stop by every 6 weeks or so just to pop in and talk watches, this helps if you find someone there who is actually into watches.

I used to call my AD maybe 2x a month and pop in here and there. This was easy for me cause theres a Swiss Chocolate place near my AD which I was addicted to anyways.

No guarantee, but it'll give you a better shot. Do I think we should have to do this kind of stuff? No, but if you're gonna play their games it's more important to ask about a good strategy rather than asking others how long they've waited.

My AD can get me most things in 6 weeks, but the manager knows me now. My three biggest tips are to find a sales person who actually enjoys watches as a hobby, tell them you want a watch for a milestone, and check in frequently.
This was my technique.

No previous relationship.

Rootbeer GMT in 3 months; but have learned on here that TT Rolex are not desirable.

Good luck; don’t be needy. Find an AD willing to chat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t understand what you mean by “…such business practices…” ?

Your resentment is misplaced and should be towards the market, not the company.

Rolex is not doing anything questionable (as you insinuate). Maybe you don’t approve of the practices the ADs are engaged in? Maybe you don’t like having (worldwide) competition for the items you want … and maybe you don’t like that (worldwide) competition is able, ready, and prepared to outbid you.

EVERY COMPANY would LOVE to have a public so enthusiastic that every product it produced is in such high demand that it has waiting lists (sometimes years long), the market values the product higher than retail immediately and over time, an untouchable brand, and is the world’s largest producer in their segment (fine mechanical watches, in this case).

Don’t be so pedantic, misdirecting your frustrations towards the company … when it is actually the market and situation you dislike.

Maybe you are right. I'm not frustrated by wait lists or even the price, what I'm frustrated to hear is experiences of many who have experienced a snobby and condescending treatment from AD staff when they inquired about some of the more popular Rolex models. I'm also frustrated that to buy a model of a watch that you actually want, you might have to "build up to it" with less popular models. That just seems insane! If I want to buy a high end Mercedes or Jaguar tomorrow, I can walk into a dealership and either walk out with a car or put my name down to be notified when it's available. I will not be asked to purchase one of their cheaper models to prove my brand loyalty or anything like that.

I'm not sure whether it's Rolex or Roles ADs, which are to blame for that...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
If I want to buy a high end Mercedes or Jaguar tomorrow, I can walk into a dealership and either walk out with a car or put my name down to be notified when it's available. I will not be asked to purchase one of their cheaper models to prove my brand loyalty or anything like that.
Porsche and Ferrari do this but what would happen if, all of a sudden, 200 people went to every Benz dealer every single day wanting only SLs and the dealers got only 20 vehicles per month?

What would you do if you worked sales in a Rolex AD? Think about it. You deal with 200 people and phone calls every day from people wanting the same watches and you only get a few pieces each week. Are you going to give that Sub to a new customer who you will never see again or the guy who dropped $15k last month and will keep coming back lining your pockets?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts