WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your GS. I have 2 Grand Seiko, and I love them as much as my Trinity watches. Also, a Rolex is not that much slimmer. 14mm is not that bad. Depends on the model, I may be interested to look at your GS if you want to let it go if you are that unhappy with thickness.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
It took about 6 months to get a datejust 41mm. 18 moths later I texted my AD asking if she had anything. She told me about a two tone seadweller which I declined then offered me a sub. I haven’t bought anything else so I guess it was either luck or I annoyed the heck out of her since I was texting quite a bit.
In a few months I’ll try again for a GMT. My biggest regret though? She offered me a skydweller last year which I thought was too large and declined!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Maybe you are right. I'm not frustrated by wait lists or even the price, what I'm frustrated to hear is experiences of many who have experienced a snobby and condescending treatment from AD staff when they inquired about some of the more popular Rolex models. I'm also frustrated that to buy a model of a watch that you actually want, you might have to "build up to it" with less popular models. That just seems insane! If I want to buy a high end Mercedes or Jaguar tomorrow, I can walk into a dealership and either walk out with a car or put my name down to be notified when it's available. I will not be asked to purchase one of their cheaper models to prove my brand loyalty or anything like that.

I'm not sure whether it's Rolex or Roles ADs, which are to blame for that...
This I can agree to!

·
Premium Member
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch "The Mullet"
4,794 Posts
I am new to the watch world and only in 2020 that I had the means to purchase a 15k watch. Unfortunately for me and I guess a lot of people are getting anxious about the wait times for rolex AD's.

This will be my first rolex if ever

I am in Houston and the main store in Galleria won't even take my name and told me that there is a 2 year waitlist. I know this is BS because another rolex ad in my area told me it will be first come first serve and random watch delivery to each dealer.

I am on a current waitlist for a couple of ADs here is Houston? How long is the wait time for a GMT or bluesy Sub or Green bezel sub last year? Should I expect a longer wait time

It seems like I have to purchase a datejust in order to get a higher model? Is this the norm for most ADs?

I think I made a mistake of purchasing a grand seiko and I don't like the thickness of 14mm.

TIA
If your a first responder or nurse at a hospital treating COVID patients, use that angle. And if you're not, just lie and say you are. You'll get your Rolex in a couple months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Porsche and Ferrari do this but what would happen if, all of a sudden, 200 people went to every Benz dealer every single day wanting only SLs and the dealers got only 20 vehicles per month?

What would you do if you worked sales in a Rolex AD? Think about it. You deal with 200 people and phone calls every day from people wanting the same watches and you only get a few pieces each week. Are you going to give that Sub to a new customer who you will never see again or the guy who dropped $15k last month and will keep coming back lining your pockets?
When you put it like that, it makes sense.

On the receiving end however, if I was a guy who had a cool $15k lying around, burning a hole in my pocket, the last thing I would want to do is to prove anything to anyone. I would expect top notch service and to get exactly what I want, when I wanted it. But maybe it's my mentality that's the problem.

I've purchased all of my watches when I wanted to or waited until they became available. I would absolutely walk out of an AD if I had to prove anything to Oris or Tudor, when I bought mine.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I’ve been on the list for four years for a Batman. I’ve bought several non-Rolex from the AD previously, but none since I went on the list. The main reason being that if I bought another watch and the Rolex then came up, I wouldn’t have the money to pay for it. Catch 22.

What real gets me is that after a month of being on the list, I was offered an all black GMT. I turned it down because it wasn’t the watch I wanted and expected to get the one I did in the coming months.

The Batman was £5600 when I went on the list. They are now £7800. It’s likely to be more when the time comes, though to be honest, I’m not convinced it will. It was supposed to mark my retirement, but that was so long ago now, I’m no longer bothered about it.

• Wow
Reactions: JJ312

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like you missed your chance to pick up a datejust.
Nah, I’m not in the market for one. But I was surprised to see quite a few Rolexes in stock given all the tales of woe about long wait lists. I think that’s because it was an AD in a holiday destination town and the local population is too small to warrant a wait list and visitors aren’t in town for long enough to go on a wait list. So the net result is that the AD has no wait list and whatever comes into stock goes on display until it’s sold. I spoke to the owner of the AD about it and he said he doesn’t do the wait list thing as he’d rather use his Rolex inventory to build customer relationships and repeat business from visitors or locals than ship the watches out of town for flippers to profit on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My local ad just randomly text whatever stock they get and wants money to be wired so I can secure it.

Other sales people are also randomly texting their clients so I have my bank account set up to wire as quickly as possible. I dont know iff this is the norm for some AD?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My LV Sub took 7 months and 5 days. I give details in my video

Amazing Christmas gift for yourself.

So AD is luring you to get the other watches and see if you will take the bait huh. Thats a long wait for a watch but dreams do come true. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Amazing Christmas gift for yourself.

So AD is luring you to get the other watches and see if you will take the bait huh. Thats a long wait for a watch but dreams do come true. Thanks for sharing
Via email he offered the gold Daytona on oysterflex (which I turned down). At the store when I picked up the new Kermit/Cermit/Starbucks, I was offered a gold day date and the platinum Daytona … which I turned down. The guy who purchased the platinum Daytona (the next day) also got a Tiffany blue OP31 for his wife.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That just seems insane! If I want to buy a high end Mercedes or Jaguar tomorrow, I can walk into a dealership and either walk out with a car or put my name down to be notified when it's available. I will not be asked to purchase one of their cheaper models to prove my brand loyalty or anything like that.
You’re implying that if there is available inventory on the auto dealer’s lot that you can purchase it? That’s not a good analogy as there is no available inventory at an AD now, but when there was a few years back you could walk right in and buy one.

With respect to high end cars…plenty of same games going on. Go try to buy a Porsche GT car. Better have been a previous good customer and have an established relationship. Otherwise the dealer may still consider selling at USD 50-100K + markup. Imagine a Rolex AD charging anything from MSRP to “grey market” price depending on how they feel about you.

When there is crazy demand that outstrips supply the dealer will establish processes for distribution. Those practices will focus on client retention and growth.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On the list for an Explorer 124270. I have a VERY modest purchase history ($3k on jewelry for my wife), and it’s been 2 months and counting.

Being that I’m very impatient I’m tempted to go ahead and buy a speedy 3861 that I also have my sights set on, but I just know the second I do that I’ll get the call. Guess I just need to learn better patience (or spend more!)

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
On the list for an Explorer 124270. I have a VERY modest purchase history ($3k on jewelry for my wife), and it’s been 2 months and counting.

Being that I’m very impatient I’m tempted to go ahead and buy a speedy 3861 that I also have my sights set on, but I just know the second I do that I’ll get the call. Guess I just need to learn better patience (or spend more!)
Can you buy the Speedy from the Rolex AD? If you’re going to buy the watch anyway…

·
Registered
127 Posts
Can you buy the Speedy from the Rolex AD? If you’re going to buy the watch anyway…
I wish! That would make my decision making that much easier. It’s a smaller AD in my local area and the only watches they sell are Rolex, so in order to “build a relationship” I’m limited to jewelry and patience.

My hope is that this type of AD has some advantages in that it’s not a large chain with lots of foot traffic (all other major ADs in the area are in malls/shopping centers) and people buying other non-Rolex watches to climb the ladder, but then again what the heck do I know. The fact that this is the reality of spending money on a luxury good still hits me as crazy, but what can ya do!

21 - 40 of 113 Posts