WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got on the list for a Sea-Dweller and was told it will take 3 months. I too only have about a 4K purchase history for a Cartier Tank bought a few weeks ago. We’ll see if it’s here in 3 months. 😊

·
Registered
298 Posts
I want an OP to my collection as well
Good luck. It really depends if you have a purchase history or not. After I bought the OP, the AD mentioned that I have now established the relationship and put my name down for a few other models as well. E.g. I’ll probably get my Pepsi in 5-6 years. But I’m in no hurry with that. I like diversity in my collection and don’t want more than 2-3 pieces per brand.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
A lot of factors play into the wait time... which model you want to buy, purchase history, and even location seem to make a difference.

After a long time of not wanting anything to do with Rolex, I'm actually thinking of getting one. But I refuse to go second hand, so I'm pretty sure with no history I'll only have access to certain models. Sounds like a Datejust may be the easiest steel watch to get... even OPs and Explorers are hot now. From what I've seen the only things on display in ADs are diamond studded Lady Datejusts and Pearlmasters.

Reactions: PilotPhill

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
A lot of factors play into the wait time... which model you want to buy, purchase history, and even location seem to make a difference.

After a long time of not wanting anything to do with Rolex, I'm actually thinking of getting one. But I refuse to go second hand, so I'm pretty sure with no history I'll only have access to certain models. Sounds like a Datejust may be the easiest steel watch to get... even OPs and Explorers are hot now. From what I've seen the only things on display in ADs are diamond studded Lady Datejusts and Pearlmasters.
What I will recommend is find a model u like/want and start looking for good ADs and get your name on the waitlist. Then write this off and enjoy your current collection. You'll get something in under a year for sure (if it's a good AD). However, with zero purchase, u won't get the popular models like gmt, etc but standard sub, exp, expII, DJ are viable options.

I did this for the new ExpII (got on waitlist in Sep) and it's already Jan (4 months in). AD had quoted me around 6 months or so (zero purchase history here).

·
Premium Member
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch "The Mullet"
4,794 Posts
I hope you're not serious.
I've heard this works, I guess it just depends on how desperate you are get a Rolex. I'd rather get watches from 10 different brands, but some only want a Rolex, and it doesn't matter how low their morals are to get one.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,887 Posts
I've heard this works, I guess it just depends on how desperate you are get a Rolex. I'd rather get watches from 10 different brands, but some only want a Rolex, and it doesn't matter how low their morals are to get one.
Really? Most people I know draw the line at stolen valor. I guess if that doesn't work you could always feign a terminal illness.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Porsche and Ferrari do this but what would happen if, all of a sudden, 200 people went to every Benz dealer every single day wanting only SLs and the dealers got only 20 vehicles per month?

What would you do if you worked sales in a Rolex AD? Think about it. You deal with 200 people and phone calls every day from people wanting the same watches and you only get a few pieces each week. Are you going to give that Sub to a new customer who you will never see again or the guy who dropped $15k last month and will keep coming back lining your pockets?
What about AD that sell knowing the person will flip ? Like selling 1 person 2 Daytona's ? Business is business so all is ok ?

·
Premium Member
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch "The Mullet"
4,794 Posts
Really? Most people I know draw the line at stolen valor. I guess if that doesn't work you could always feign a terminal illness.
Absolutely! Whatever it takes to get the opportunity to pay $7,500 for ~$7.50 worth of steel.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
What about AD that sell knowing the person will flip ? Like selling 1 person 2 Daytona's ? Business is business so all is ok ?
Maybe the AD sells 1 person (2) Daytona. Then that person wears it out of the store and sells (1) back to the AD the next day, keeping the other for himself. AD moves it to the 'preowned' section as LNIB for a 50% markup.

Now THAT is a plan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe the AD sells 1 person (2) Daytona. Then that person wears it out of the store and sells (1) back to the AD the next day, keeping the other for himself. AD moves it to the 'preowned' section as LNIB for a 50% markup.

Now THAT is a plan.
50% markup on a Daytona? If only!

·
Registered
172 Posts

Now THAT is a plan.
It is happening. Maybe not exactly like you wrote, but happening. AD's know when someone is a broker or flipper. It is one thing that a watch or brand is super popular, but another when an AD is manipulating or creating the inflated pricing.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The info you will get here is random and irrelevant. If you won’t spend with the AD it will be years, if ever. There are, of course exceptions and you may be lucky. Generally, the more you spend the less the wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Rolex DJ 126300; Tudor BB58 M79030N-0002; Glycine Combat Sub GL0092
256 Posts
I waited 4 weeks for a DJ 41. Had never met the AD before and did not buy anything else. 10 weeks later, she called me with a second Rolex (my best friend bought that one as it was also a DJ 41). Now I am waiting on a third call, but this time I want something a bit harder to get - an Explorer.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

Now THAT is a plan.
Yup, that's business!

Jaw Gesture Tie Facial hair Formal wear

·
Registered
683 Posts
I just moved from Houston to Connecticut over the summer. The Houston market is rough, quiet a few of the AD's there lost Rolex statues, so the market is even tougher, it's a big town which doesn't help.

I walked into my now AD here in Connecticut to get on a list in August for an EXP2. She told me 18 months and I figured it would be 2-3 years as I had no history with them. I always messaged her on the first of the month and went to events they invited me to.

She delivered it to me this past Tuesday. 6 months on the list, count me as blown away. Now to insure the thing 😂

Watch Analog watch Window Gesture Clock

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was pretty fortunate to have purchased several pieces from my local AD (Speedy, BB58, and most recently a DJ31 for the wife) that I had my heart set on, prior to putting my name on a waitlist. All of the purchases were time pieces that I was looking to have in my collection.

During these 3 transactions, I made sure to connect with the same SA. On my final purchase, I inquired about several wishlist pieces (SS no date sub, YM40, GMT Batman). I had little hopes but figured it was worth a shot and put my name on the list. After 1.5 months I received the call from my SA that a no date sub was being offered to me. Of course, I pounced on the chance.

Having spoken to my SA, she mentioned that she appreciated the fact that I supported the store. I often wore one of the watches I had purchased from the AD.

I am not saying that you need to purchase 3 watches to get your wishlist item but AD's would rather offer high demand pieces to individuals who support them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the call from my AD today. Batman on Oyster was in. I was wanting Pepsi on Jubilee, but am very happy with the Batman. I had put my deposit on it last March. So, 10+ month wait after taking my deposit. I've bought a Sub, DJ41 Blue, and DJ36 two tone Everose (for the wife) from her in the past. Kinda disappointed that it got it this year with the nearly $1000 price increase. Wish it had been Dec 31, 2021! But no sales tax takes the sting out. I might be done. have the three I wanted. Not as interested in the other models or gold ones. Would love a Daytona, but realistically don't expect to ever get one. The new Tudor chrono would be a fine substitute when she gets one in. To me, this is the only way to get a Rolex. Buy from AD at retail. You have to wait, but you know you have an unmolested watch at the best price possible.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Depends who you are and how much money you have spent with the AD.

There is no wait list, they sell to who they like.
Or how genuinely they perceive you to be a real watch fan. Even if you have never bought anything from the AD, I think you should still be able to get a watch if you visit a number of times and are enthusiastic about watches. Might take many months to over a year (or longer for a few models) but a good AD can distinguish who is a fan and who is a flipper

41 - 60 of 113 Posts