·
Registered
136 Posts
10 days BLNR
5 weeks Sub LV41
5 months Daytona black
7 months BLRO
8 months Daytona white
Holy cow! How did you swing that? Sounds rather hard to believe. I am looking forward to hearing this story

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new to the watch world and only in 2020 that I had the means to purchase a 15k watch. Unfortunately for me and I guess a lot of people are getting anxious about the wait times for rolex AD's.

This will be my first rolex if ever

I am in Houston and the main store in Galleria won't even take my name and told me that there is a 2 year waitlist. I know this is BS because another rolex ad in my area told me it will be first come first serve and random watch delivery to each dealer.

I am on a current waitlist for a couple of ADs here is Houston? How long is the wait time for a GMT or bluesy Sub or Green bezel sub last year? Should I expect a longer wait time

It seems like I have to purchase a datejust in order to get a higher model? Is this the norm for most ADs?

I think I made a mistake of purchasing a grand seiko and I don't like the thickness of 14mm.

TIA
It’s an interesting observation and one that has continued to resonate with me, and that is watch thickness.
Despite growing up with a diet of automatic Seiko Diver‘s Watches (that I still use and love), I have increasingly come to appreciate that case thickness relates to elegance and that I personally value robustness AND elegance equally.

·
Registered
Tudor North Flag
25 Posts
About 3 weeks to get my no date sub as a first time buyer at that specific ad
Great! Happy for you. I've heard a number of 'better' stories. I seems the Youtube clickbaiters and disgruntled once-off buyers are far more vocal than the patient and happy customers.

Mine:

OP39 - bought out the window some years ago.
Expl 1 39 - bought out the window 1 year ago almost to the day.
Sub - less than 3 months
SS Daytona black - offered to me less than two months after registering interest.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
10 days BLNR
5 weeks Sub LV41
5 months Daytona black
7 months BLRO
8 months Daytona white
How long ago was this? And was this the order you got them?

·
Registered
Tudor GMT
11 Posts
Like others have said:

You REALLY need to be likable in the AD’s eyes. Be honest and up front with them. If it seems appropriate ASK what you need to do to build a relationship with them. Be friendly and courteous. They also like to know that you respect the brand history and you plan on keeping because it’s for an upcoming special occasion (for example.)

I did just that and they were very honest with me and said I needed purchase history with them, not Rolex (they meant jewelry). I didn’t buy any jewelry at that time because I wasn’t in the market.

However, a few months later I was looking to get my wife something nice for this upcoming Valentine’s Day. I went back to the AD, bought her something, and they very shortly afterwards contacted me to come get my Explorer 2.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience. Should it have to be this way? Maybe not, but it’s how the market is. You scratch their back; they’ll scratch yours…and I didn’t have to spend loads of money to do it.

Also, I would suggest keeping an open mind about your wishlist. You’re much more likely to get a black sub, or Explorer 2 vs a Pepsi or Rootbeer (which are on everyone’s list.)

Edit: Oh, and every AD is different. What works for one may not work at another. That’s why I suggest being upfront and ask what you should do to build a relationship with them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Or how genuinely they perceive you to be a real watch fan. Even if you have never bought anything from the AD, I think you should still be able to get a watch if you visit a number of times and are enthusiastic about watches. Might take many months to over a year (or longer for a few models) but a good AD can distinguish who is a fan and who is a flipper
Does being a fan vs flipper matter to the AD ? Some AD's like the flippers or don't care.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just bought my first Rolex, a root beer GMT today. I registered my interest last month on a stop at the store. A higher end, independent jeweler. The salesman took my card, folded it up and put it in his packet. I was pretty sure he ran it thru the shredder after I left the store.

I had previously traded a few emails with the owner trying to find a Tudor North Flag, so I emailed him and checked in. I told him I had visited for the holidays and I was seriously interested in this watch and in a green bezel Sub for my collection. If I had to own only one, the root beer GMT was it. As left my contact information.

Tuesday afternoon he called and asked me which watch of the four I had discussed was the #1 choice. As we talked about them, I mentioned I loved the root beer but have never seen it in person and had no reference. He told me it was even nicer in person in his opinion and I would not be disappointed. I asked him to keep me in mind, not expecting much. He asked me if I could be there Saturday to pick my watch up.

I purchased it from the salesperson I had originally talked to last spring and the guy I spoke with last month did not even make eye contact with me.

I'd skip the mall jewelers and chain stores and find a smaller, nicer jeweler to deal with. I live and work 4-6 hours away from an AD. I visited a couple just hoping to get a closer look at a watch I was interested in owning.

As far as other Rolex dealers I had met. One of them told me their store did not need new customers, thus they did not want to speak with me. One of them told me they expected me to by tens of thousands of dollars in crap before considering me. One of them was impressively rude, starting with a, "And whoooooooo do you think you are????" question and then finding my taste in Omega's questionable.

Keep looking until you find someone who likes watches as much as you do.

I'm pleased with my watch and pleased with who got the money.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does being a fan vs flipper matter to the AD ? Some AD's like the flippers or don't care.
I hope so! At least for my sake because I want myself and other actual watch fans to be able to get the watches we want.

I think there is a good argument for the ADs to want to sell to genuine enthusiasts. If Rolex finds out that a huge percentage of a given ADs watches are showing up on Chrono24 within a week of the sale, then that AD will probably face some challenges if not be stripped of its status as an AD.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No surprising story

Long time client and charming personality

I ask for it. They put me down in their little black book. They call me
Wow, good for you!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I hope so! At least for my sake because I want myself and other actual watch fans to be able to get the watches we want.

I think there is a good argument for the ADs to want to sell to genuine enthusiasts. If Rolex finds out that a huge percentage of a given ADs watches are showing up on Chrono24 within a week of the sale, then that AD will probably face some challenges if not be stripped of its status as an AD.
I am with you. But there are dealers working with brokers and flippers. Maybe not a huge % of their watches, but it is happening. On another board, a member was bragging how he got 2 Daytona's from his AD. He kept 1 for himself and flipped the other. Obviously the AD knew what was going to happen. Pretty distasteful if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I am new to the watch world and only in 2020 that I had the means to purchase a 15k watch. Unfortunately for me and I guess a lot of people are getting anxious about the wait times for rolex AD's.

This will be my first rolex if ever

I am in Houston and the main store in Galleria won't even take my name and told me that there is a 2 year waitlist. I know this is BS because another rolex ad in my area told me it will be first come first serve and random watch delivery to each dealer.

I am on a current waitlist for a couple of ADs here is Houston? How long is the wait time for a GMT or bluesy Sub or Green bezel sub last year? Should I expect a longer wait time

It seems like I have to purchase a datejust in order to get a higher model? Is this the norm for most ADs?

I think I made a mistake of purchasing a grand seiko and I don't like the thickness of 14mm.

TIA
I have a purchase history and it’s been over 15 months on a wait list for a Submariner so far.

I got one another way in the meantime but I’ve stayed on the list.

The Rolex experience is seriously sh*te these days. I’d give thought to effing them off and buying from a maker who gives two hoots about their customers.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don’t understand what you mean by “…such business practices…” ?

Your resentment is misplaced and should be towards the market, not the company.

Rolex is not doing anything questionable (as you insinuate). Maybe you don’t approve of the practices the ADs are engaged in? Maybe you don’t like having (worldwide) competition for the items you want … and maybe you don’t like that (worldwide) competition is able, ready, and prepared to outbid you.

EVERY COMPANY would LOVE to have a public so enthusiastic that every product it produced is in such high demand that it has waiting lists (sometimes years long), the market values the product higher than retail immediately and over time, an untouchable brand, and is the world’s largest producer in their segment (fine mechanical watches, in this case).

Don’t be so pedantic, misdirecting your frustrations towards the company … when it is actually the market and situation you dislike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might have some ideas about Rolex, but you don’t understand people.

Reactions: ANOpax

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rolex is getting the way of PP, AP etc … in terms of allocations for certain models.

For the person with no purchase or foothold into the brand or AD, you have to set yourself apart from the many others who walk in “can I put my name down for a rolex”

How you do that is probably an individual thing. Buying lots of diamonds is one way. But not the only. Depends also on the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,050 Posts
6 weeks for z-blue Milgauss.
2 months for Batman on jubilee.
4 months for Polar Exp II.

All bought in the second half of 2021.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Order was:
BLNR, Daytona W, Daytona B, BLRO, LV

Timing 2016-2020
Yeah a lot has changed in that short time. In 2016 you could walk into an AD and see and buy a Sub or GMT with no problem... maybe even get a discount.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts