WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm normally over on the dive watch forum,but i guess i've
"Sinned" so i'll come over here. All bad puns aside, i recently picked up this SS 203, and put 'er on a Sinn leather. I know from previous discussions that when the AR capsule is "compromised", my indicator will turn blue.
Right now it's a very light shade, and if I read correctly, this doesn't neccesarily require an immediate trip to Germany. The other concern i had was that this watch isn't fond of my Steinhausen winder. The Doxa does well on it, but the Sinn seems to need constant attention. Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:-!
Adam

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hey guys, I'm normally over on the dive watch forum,but i guess i've
"Sinned" so i'll come over here. All bad puns aside, i recently picked up this SS 203, and put 'er on a Sinn leather. I know from previous discussions that when the AR capsule is "compromised", my indicator will turn blue.
Right now it's a very light shade, and if I read correctly, this doesn't neccesarily require an immediate trip to Germany. The other concern i had was that this watch isn't fond of my Steinhausen winder. The Doxa does well on it, but the Sinn seems to need constant attention. Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:-!
Adam

Aloha Adam,

For an answer to the varying shades of blue and what they mean, go to the Sinn English language catalogue on their website (http://www.sinn.de/ENGLISH/CATALOG-2005/index.html) and download pages 1 to 30. You will find some information on pages 27 ff.

As far as I can tell, the winding problem is not a Sinn problem, it is more a Valjoux 7750 phenomenon. I have noticed with another brand's Valjoux 7750's that some watches may occasionally stop after a few days on the winder, but by far not all of them - only a fairly small number. I found that changing the angle at which the watch is rotated (putting a support under the back of the winder and changinging the rotation axis more towards horizontal), or setting the winder to bi-directional may solve the problem. According to the Orbita database, the Valjoux 7750 should only require about 800 TPD (turns per day) clockwise, but I found that it cured the problem.

I don't know what causes it, but it could be that some winders are so smooth that the rotor simply stops following gravity when the case is rotated around it. It is never a problem on the human wrist, because we simply are not smooth enough. Of course, this is just a theory and your guess is as good as mine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kurt, thanks for your help, those pages were very informative, and from the shade of blue showing, i still have a while before i have to send this
away to Germany! I will also try your suggestion of "propping" up my winder from time to time, we'll see if this works!
Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts