WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Not entirely sure I understand that question, but in theory any of the 20mm bracelets would fit a Phantom, however, the end links would not match up on any Oyster bracelets exactly right. You would have to do no end links and exposed screw bar.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Would anyone know what 20mm Oyster style strap would fit a Kobold Phantom?
Straps are made of leather, cloth, fibre or synthetics. Bracelets are made of metal.

Any 20mm strap with lug holes large enough to accommodate the Kobold lug screw tube will work. There are thousands of strap styles out there, a couple of dozen buckle choices, dozens of colors and dozens of different materials (calf, cowhide, deerskin, alligator, crocodile, eel, shark, buffalo, kevlar, nylon, etc., etc., etc.).

A 20mm bracelet, on the other hand, would have to have end links of sufficient length to fill the gap between the lug holes and the case, and also be curved to match the arc of the outer case. Don't know of anyone who makes such an after-market bracelet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So are you looking for a metal bracelet or a leather strap or a rubber strap? If you've settled on a particular material, almost everyone at WUS has their favorite online strap and bracelet dealers, custom makers and so on.

You can also buy very good quality metal bracelets in stainless steel, titanium, PVD-coated steel and so on that have straight (rather than curved-to-match-the-watch-case) end links.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for your quick response. I was getting a little stuck on the correct terminology. I am after a metal bracelet for my watch - its 20 mm but I would like to get end links that fit the watch (rather than straight). However, I don't want to spend what would be required to get a new one from Kobold. It sounds like there is no easy way to work out if metal bracelets from other brands with end links would fit. Grateful for any further advice.

·
Registered
347 Posts

It sounds like there is no easy way to work out if metal bracelets from other brands with end links would fit. Grateful for any further advice.
Nice watch. Kobold certainly knows how to bring together a lot of great features to create a seriously useful tool watch.

Round is round . . . that is, a diameter (for example) of 42mm means the round case will have a specific and consistent arc throughout its circumference. So any curved end link with the correct arc for a 42mm case will match the outside of the case. The problem is that various watch manufacturers position the lug holes at different distances from the top of the lugs and at different distances from the case. Add to that the fact that various watch makers use lugs of different lengths and heights, and it makes it almost impossible for an aftermarket bracelet maker to mass produce correctly fitted curved end links. Of course it can be done, but the aftermarket bracelet maker would have to fabricate and stock literally thousands of sizes of end links after first obtaining and measuring all of the different popular watches for which he hopes his bracelets might be purchased. Those are just the practical reasons why it's exceedingly difficult (if not completely impossible) to find a curved-end-link aftermarket bracelet for your Kobold. There are some aftermarket Chinese bracelet makers which produce very good clones of steel bracelets for the top selling watches (e.g., a couple of different models of Rolex Submariner, a couple of different models of Omega Speedmaster and Omega Seamaster, etc.), but those watches are sold (in total) in the millions each year, thereby creating a potentially profitable customer base for aftermarket makers. The few thousand watches sold each year by Kobold just don't constitute a custom target worth hitting by the aftermarket bracelet makers.

My advice (if you have to commit scarce funds) is to save a bit longer to get a bracelet from Kobold which perfectly fits your watch. If you've already got the funds but are sensibly questioning the prices of Kobold bracelets, be thankful we're not talking about a Breguet Type XXI or a Rolex Submariner or an Omega Planet Ocean (etc., etc.) because those OEM bracelets are even more expensive than Kobold.

In the end, if you want a correctly fitted bracelet that looks like it was originally designed for your particular watch, Kobold is the only source AFAIK. There are a couple of good aftermarket bracelet dealers selling good quality bracelets, but you'll have to settle for straight end links. I suggest that you may not be happy after using such a bracelet for some brief period of time, in which case the money will have been better spent on an OEM Kobold bracelet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for a thorough and very clear response. The real issue for me is that I don't like getting a leather strap wet - I tried a couple of generic rubber straps but both basically fell to pieces after a few months. Any ideas where I can get a sturdy and reliable one (preferably with a clasp) without paying 200-300usd? I saw mention of Sinn ones but see that they have the brand printed on them. Many thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks again for a thorough and very clear response. The real issue for me is that I don't like getting a leather strap wet - I tried a couple of generic rubber straps but both basically fell to pieces after a few months. Any ideas where I can get a sturdy and reliable one (preferably with a clasp) without paying 200-300usd? I saw mention of Sinn ones but see that they have the brand printed on them. Many thanks.
I think Banda offers some of the best deals on good quality, long lasting rubber and silicone straps with single-deployant stainless steel clasps. Look here:

Banda.com

. . . and here:

Banda.com

.......... sells a variety of good quality steel bracelets in a wide variety of styles, some of which can be supplied with curved end links. Look here:

http://www............com/

Strapped for Time also sells a few good quality metal bracelets, including at least one model from Hirsch (a German watch strap and bracelet maker) supplied with both straight and curved end links. Look here:

Strapped For Time - Fine Quality Watch Bands and Watch Straps

Stay away from the $20-$30 straps and bracelets. The bracelets in that price range are largely junk - poorly or inconsistently finished, cheap link pins, sharp or rough edges, often nickel plated, folded links, terrible and delicate clasps. The $20-$30 leather straps and synthetic straps are made of inferior grades of material, stiching and gluing are weak, buckles and clasps are low grade (often overpolished too), and won`t last more than a few months at most.

The sweet spot for really good quality and long lasting water resistant leather seems to start around $50-$60 from suppliers like The Watch Boys. Look here:

The Watch Boys, Providing quality products for watch collectors!

Look for custom leather straps from reputable makers such as Stonecreek Straps. Bas & Lokes Straps and Toshi Straps among others. Custom straps made from superb quality leathers start at $85 and range up to $300. The sweet spot IMO is between $95-$125 (including your preferred buckle or clasp), where you`ll find a huge selection of wonderful quality straps in a wide variety of styles. Look here:

stonecreekstraps.com - Home

. . . here:

Bas and Lokes custom handmade leather watch straps bands

. . . and here:

Toshi Straps! Handmade leather watch straps - home page

Steel, titanium and PVD-coated steel bracelets are fewer and farther between. I`ve mentioned a couple of reputable dealers above. Also give Watch Band Center a try. Look here:

Watch Straps and Watch Bands from WATCHBANDCENTER.COM Online Shop

When purchasing a metal watch bracelet of any kind (stainless steel, titanium, PVD or DLC-coated steel) consider only models with solid links. You`ll have to spend at least $75 to get a bracelet with solid links. You`ll find that the cheaper bracelets almost always have folded links - that is, each link is formed by bending a flat blank into the shape of the link. That means folded links are hollow, weak therefore, rattle noisily and fall apart (or at least change shape) under stress. Solid links are milled out of solid blanks, drilled to accommodate link pins (or screws), feel much better on the wrist, last forever, are much quieter, don`t change shape under stress and look better as well.

Fold-over and double fold-over (referred to sometimes as flip-lock) deployant clasps have features too. Friction fit fold-over clasps (e.g., Rolex Oyster style, Breitling style, etc.) work extremely well as long as the outer flip-lock isn`t designed with a point. Better to have a straight edge, rather than a point which will occasionally dig painfully under your thumbnail if you fail to pay attention when opening the clasp one night. Fold-over clasps designed with a spring-loaded pushbutton lock (e.g., Oemga Speedmaster Professional style, Tag Heuer style, etc.) should taper to a narrower width across the underside of your wrist so that when your wrist flexes while the watch is forward, the action doesn`t accidentally squeeze the clasp lock enough to open the thing.

Look for straps and bracelets that taper. IMO, anyone with a wrist circumference that is 7 inches or smaller should be wearing straps and bracelets that taper to 18mm under the wrists (where the buckle or clasp are located) - 20mm at the most. People with larger wrists can get away with 22mm at the buckle or clasp, and even 24mm if wrist curcumference approaches 7.75 inches or larger. IMO also, the 12 year trend towards ever larger watch case diameters and ever wider straps and bracelets has convinced a lot of men that wider, thicker and higher is better. I think most of the guys with 6.75 - 7.25 inch wrists sporting 44mm-47mm watches that are 14mm+ high with 24mm x 24mm straps look unbalanced - but maybe that`s just me. Anyway, the point of mentioning all this is that finding a competitively priced strap or bracelet which fits the lugs of your watch is only half of a successful search. Finding a strap or bracelet which does not overbalance the watch (or your wrist) - rather something which is sized to compliment the watch and at the same time look natural on your wrist - is the other half of the search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much for the detailed response. I in fact got in touch with Fricker and they can supply the 20 mm bracelet without the Kobold branding for about 90 Euros so I have gone with that instead.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Thanks very much for the detailed response. I in fact got in touch with Fricker and they can supply the 20 mm bracelet without the Kobold branding for about 90 Euros so I have gone with that instead.
I would be VERY interested in more info and pics about this... mind shooting me a PM? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts