WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody! Firstly I'm very ignorant about watches, so please excuse any mistakes I make.

I have both the PrimaLuna and DolceVita on hold for me until tomorrow in the most simple stainless steel, white dial, quartz models.

DolceVita: I walked into the store thinking I wanted this, it being the only Longines model I'd consistently heard of, and it seeming like their classic/ iconic ladies watch. Unfortunately the stores in my area are sold out of the roman numerals and normal numerals black on white face, and only have the silver flecks on black or white:

silver flecks: http://www.longines.com/watches/longines-dolcevita/L5.158.4.16.6
roman numerals: L5.155.4.71.6 - Longines DolceVita - Elegance - Watches - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832

My worry with this model is do the flecks make it feel like a dress/costume watch.. like the cheaper watches I hate which I've noticed often also do these flecks instead of numbers. I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly, but roman numerals feel more historically interesting + I like the black on white contrast, but I don't quite like their different sizes and the messiness this creates.

PrimaLuna: I really like the simple dial and blue hand, and the more modern feel of the chunkier links and round face that isn't too large or too small. The only worry I have is if the links are too rounded, if that makes sense, and a more rectangular band would look better, and if as a new line introduced only last year, it doesn't have the same proof of quality and iconic appeal of the Dolce Vita? But do you think the commonness of the Dolce Vita as many ladies' entry-level/ luxury Swiss watch makes the PrimaLuna more attractive as a more unique piece?

L8.112.4.71.6 - Longines PrimaLuna - Elegance - Watches - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832

Other questions (sorry to have so many!)

1. Is it fine to get quartz and not automatic? Is my understanding that quartz requires batteries to be replaced, but automatic can require winding/ attention if it's not worn constantly, correct? The reasons I'm thinking quartz are firstly the $500 or so extra for the automatic, and secondly because I don't want to wear this watch every day, but maybe a few days a week. Does anyone know how often the quartz model would require battery changing, and whether this long-term expense/ hassle is worth paying the extra for automatic?

2. Is there any difference in quality/ endurance/ potential longevity/ timekeeping precision/ ability between the PrimaLuna and DolceVita?

3. Why is the Primaluna priced (in Australia at least) $100 below the DolceVita?

If you feel inclined to answer any of these questions I'd be so grateful, and I hope everyone had a great NYE and first day (already almost over here in Oz.) :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I let my wife use my watches which are automatics and they can never remain wound. Frankly, she does not care about watches as much as I do, so there is much less attention than needed. She has a couple great quartz watches that we can quite simply take to our local watch repair guy and replace the battery. He charges $10 and takes just 10 minutes max. I wound not mind a quick battery change every 3-5 years or so.

Automatics vs Quartz? Mechanical watches (Auto) should last a lifetime especially if you are looking for something that will last and pass on. There is rich history in the art of mechanical horology and watchmakers are obliged to restore high end watches to keep the art alive for generations. Quartz just cannot compete with Automatic watches in terms of heirloom pieces.

Quartz is good and convenient, just not as highly regarded mainly in men's watches. Ladies watches however, in order to keep a ultra slim a petite profile, quartz is the movement of choice- especially in Pateks, Audemars, etc.

Rolex do AUTOMATICS well with the lady datejust but thats a whole league above Longines + the rolex ldj has a middle age vibe :/

At least this is the mindset of a traditional watch nut like myself.

Many watch enthusiasts (WIS) with automatic watch(es) keep them wound with a watch winder. I rotate through watches every other day and I find winders very convenient. I did not spend over $300 on my very capable winders.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
First, welcome.
The questions you ask will have as many different answers as there are watch styles jxavier has very accurately described the differences except for the personal opinions. I would not worry about quartz vs mechanical. I also love my mechanicals but I love my quartz as well. They are both good and have their place. They are both long lasting. xjavier says the mechanical will last a lifetime, well so will the quartz and if it doesn't you could have the movement replaced maybe 3 or 4 times for the 500 difference in price, also the mechanical will require more expensive services throughout its life. Quartz are usually more accurate and also more convenient than mechanicals.
There I have given you the other side of the quartz vs mechanical arguments, I have both and enjoy them both but my usual pick for a day usually is a quartz, I have a couple of mechanicals out of my many that I use in regular rotation and setting them when wearing is not that big a deal and puts a less unneeded wear than using a winder. I own a winder but only use it at times.
As far as your choice of the two, whichever you like best and which fits your needs better, I like the looks of the square one, but the round one is easier to see and read so in my case if I were looking for looks - square, but for daily, the round one is easier to see and read....so good luck with your decision, they are both nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks so much for that jxavier and AAWATCHES, that was really helpful and I think I'll definitely go with quartz then. :)

I'm getting so stressed about which one to choose though, even though I realise I'm being a bit silly/ obsessive :( - I really don't want to regret the decision as I do want to wear it and love it for a long time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Like jxavier said, ladies watches are often quartz---which is a way more reliable time piece than my best automatic. As a 20 year old who won't wear the watch constantly---the quartz makes more sense.

I agree with you on the looks of the flecks vs the roman numerals. I personally prefer the larger PrimaLuna with the date---much easier to read.

I suspect the higher price is due to the smaller size and the known history/success of the DolceVita.

I wouldn't worry at all about the quality---as a Longines it will be good. Go for the one that you like best/see yourself wearing more often. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
welcome ot the forum...this is an obsessive place so just dont worry about sounding silly at all over here..we arte nuts about details :)

first off, I had many autos and now I have a twelve watch collection of quartz only...mostly because I am also in my twenties and neither could I afford high end pieces nor could I afford their repairs or services...and most of all because till now my lifestyle required more rugged, accurate pieces...so the choice at this stage in life should be more practical realities oriented rather than tradition/heirloom based....these are just some sincere tips :)

about the watches you have selected, you just have nothing to worry about regarding quality differences as they are both great watches and equal in every respect...tyhe only thing that differs is aesthetics...and especially becuase of this factor, I would again sincerely suggest that you go for neither of these but wait and get the DolceVita in romans the way you want it..I can see that you want this purchase to bring happiness for a long time and so I will say 'go for YOUR PERSONAL FAVOURIOTE choice' and wait and research to get it because that is the only way of maximizing your pleasure..belive me, the wait and the hunt can be great too :)

my personal preference based on aesthetics is the DolceVita, and I dont even mind the pips personally...this is a very beautiful watch..the PrimaLuna is also very pretty but DolceVita design is more dressy/classy whereas PrimaLuna also being great is more 'regular' wear, for want of a better word.

best of luck with the purchase

regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts