WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No no no! We are not talking about accuracy or reliability here ;) . Can you tell the difference? Do you think it's that big of a difference? I got to see my first 28,800 today and was sadly disappointed. It was a 2824-2 and dint seem that different to me.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
While the 28,800 isnt anywhere as smooth as a Spring Drive based movement, I am able to note a slight difference between that and a 21,600 movement.
The length/design of the seconds hand seems to affect that though.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The only 28,800 I found to be extremely smooth was the Omega 1120 which is based on the ETA 2892. I noticed that while the 2824 is smoother than a Seiko 6R15, I agree the difference isn't really that dramatic.

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
I can tell you that there is a real difference about smoothness between my 2 automatic watches, one with 21,600bph and the other with 28,800bph.

If a 28,800 runs just like a21,600 it's probably broken.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I got a Hamilton with 28800bph and comparing with my Orient and Seiko with 21600bph, I couldn't tell huge difference either.. But if you compare it side by side, it's slightly smoother..

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
The 28,800 looks smoother to my eyes. It is 8 beats (or steps) per second compared to 6 per second.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
No no no! We are not talking about accuracy or reliability here ;) . Can you tell the difference? Do you think it's that big of a difference? I got to see my first 28,800 today and was sadly disappointed. It was a 2824-2 and dint seem that different to me.

What do you guys think?
Do you mean different in terms of the steps being a bit more visible at 21,600? Sure it is noticable if you look close. Whether the seconds hand has a larger or smaller number of steps is really not all that important. Some of my most enjoyable watches are older handwinds like a Cyma and Sandoz that run at 18,000 bph. I don't spend much time watching the seconds hand go round and round so the bph is not all that important to me. BTW I also enjoy a Zenith that runs at 36,000 bph.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The larger the watch face the more noticeable the difference.

Most of my watches have a 26 to 28 mm dial, and you have to really look close to see any difference....

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
But what gets me is that some very fine watches use 21,600 movements. I don't know what the benefit is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The only 28,800 I found to be extremely smooth was the Omega 1120 which is based on the ETA 2892. I noticed that while the 2824 is smoother than a Seiko 6R15, I agree the difference isn't really that dramatic.
Was about to say the same thing about my Omega 2532.80 (which uses the 1120). There is a noticeable difference in how smooth the hand is on my Seiko BM and my SMP. I can also tell the difference on my dad's Royal Oak, Parmigiani, and PanoMaticLunar.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Lots of great opinions here! It looks to me that it has a LOT to do with dial size and second hand design and length as the other members said. Maybe eyesight too. ;)

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
But what gets me is that some very fine watches use 21,600 movements. I don't know what the benefit is.

You can safely see the balance wheel operating without having a headache.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lvt said:
You can safely see the balance wheel operating without having a headache.
Hahahahah trying to watch my timex Dynabeat balance is hard.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
28k is sort of the magical spot where the seconds hand seems smooth to me. I can definitely tell 21k is a bit too staccato, so with a central seconds hand, I can tell the difference. But 25k, 28k and even 36k, I need to see them right next to each other before I can really tell the difference. And with a seconds subdial, even then I usually can't. I can sort of tell with the 25k...just a little staccato. But my Ananta at 28k seems nearly perfectly smooth, and the same for the El Primeros and 9S85s I've seen.

I actually did do a little youtube video of my 21k Planet Orient, my 25k Planet Ocean and my 28k Ananta next to each other, but the video quality is pretty poor. It's still out there though. I just did it to kill 5 minutes I had free one day.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I actually gain more pleasure listening to the higher beat rate rather than watching the second hand. There's something that's just so satisfying when listening to those fast ticks on a 28,800 bph watch.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CitizenM said:
28k is sort of the magical spot where the seconds hand seems smooth to me. I can definitely tell 21k is a bit too staccato, so with a central seconds hand, I can tell the difference. But 25k, 28k and even 36k, I need to see them right next to each other before I can really tell the difference. And with a seconds subdial, even then I usually can't. I can sort of tell with the 25k...just a little staccato. But my Ananta at 28k seems nearly perfectly smooth, and the same for the El Primeros and 9S85s I've seen.

I actually did do a little youtube video of my 21k Planet Orient, my 25k Planet Ocean and my 28k Ananta next to each other, but the video quality is pretty poor. It's still out there though. I just did it to kill 5 minutes I had free one day.
Is it on YouTube?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The 28,800 looks smoother to my eyes. It is 8 beats (or steps) per second compared to 6 per second.
I agree. It's simple math. And I can see the difference. Esp. with a center mounted hand.
Do I care? Not really. I believe some Pateks use the 21.6 oscillations or beats.
The small seconds on most 6497 movements with an 18k beat is barely noticeable. So length matters : )

1 - 20 of 32 Posts