WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

218 tuning fork movement in Citizen Hisonic

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Margarets Dad 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
I've got a Citizen Hisonic that's got a licensed copy of a Accutron 218 movement in it.
It's running about ten minutes fast per day. I've heard this can be because of battery voltage. Is this true? I've heard it would need to be re-phased and I'm looking into that process but would appreciate any leads.
I'm working on restoring it as it was in VERY rough shape. It was made in 1973 and, man does it show! It's a lovely watch and of course I love watching that seconds hand!

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice watch. High battery voltage compared to how it was adjusted can lead to triple indexing which would make it run fast but if it really needs a good service and phasing to work with the higher 1.55V Silver Oxide batteries and if you don't have (ANY) experience in adjusting these watches, I HIGHLY recommend sending it to a qualified Accutron guy for service. Otherwise, unless you are one of the few lucky ones that figure it out, that watch will end up as a pile of parts.

Great Repair guy that works on those tuning forks.

Rob Berkavicius Repair Link

#4 ·
Hi, that is a lovely watch! Love the green dial. I have a small collection of Accutron 214 and 218s. I agree that it is probably just a matter of rephrasing the movement to run on the higher voltage batteries, which any qualified Accutron technician can do as part of a general service. I have been very satisfied with the work of Chris Radek in Nebraska and J&J Watch Repair in Melville (Long Island), NY. Both charge around $150 to $200 for a general service. Chris' great work is well known to Accutron collectors, but J&J is good too (and has faster turnaround--last time I contacted Chris he had a months' long backlog). Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.