WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at Omega watches for a while now. I have found a "brand new" Omega Seamaster professional 2254.50 (Automatic) at a out of state Authorized Dealer. (Selling for $1749.00) While looking locally I have grown to like the PO 45.5 (2900.50.91)(XL) size with the rubber strap.(Selling for $2700.00) I can only afford to get one watch and am having a hard time choosing between the two. With the trend of larger watches, Is the size of the 41mm. Seamaster Professional becoming too small for a 7" wrist? I just want a daily wearing watch that does it all sporty, not too fancy/dressy,just a good watch that will last and never go out of style. Does the 2254.50 look good with the PO rubber strap? Will Omega be coming out with a newer version of the Seamaster Professional (Like the 2254.50) but with the co/ ax movement and larger size? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED ! THANKS

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't answer many of those questions, unfortunately, but I can tell you as the two watches I own are a 2254.50 and a PO, I'd go with the 2254.50 first. This is not what I did and I still prefer my PO (42mm Black Bezel/Orange Numbers) over the 2254.50, but getting it new is worth it. It's a highly desired piece and is discontinued. Get it before the gettin's gone.

This is only valuable information so long as the 2254.50 isn't replaced with a co-axial version... which I think won't happen. However, I WOULD hold out for the PO to come out in cal.8500. I know I'll be upgrading when that happens.

By the way, I have a 7 1/4" wrist. 45.5 seemed too large for my tastes, but 41/42" are working just fine. Watches this size seem to be pretty typical, in fact.

BTW - the Forum AD I purchased my 2254.50 (just a week or so ago) beat that price, but I had a little issue with two of them running WAY fast (the first one I had to return -- the second one I had fixed here at the NYC Omega Boutique -- under warranty!)

---

So to recap: I'd get the 2254.50 first, but I love my PO (which I actually bought first) more. But only by a little bit! ;) Either way you can't go wrong.

I think I'm going to save for a Speedy Broad Arrow next...

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
My wrist is 7 3/4 inches so I can pull off the diameter of the 45.5 PO but the case is too thick for me to wear comfortably; ergo, it's the 2254.50 for me.

The 2254.50 is a classic that wears well for most any occasion and in my opinion, taking it co-axial would offer no significant benefit. The cal. 1120 is a tried and true workhorse movement as it is.

Although the price you have been quoted is somewhat higher than our favorite AD, I advise grabbing the SMP while you can. They are becoming difficult to find since they have been discontinued. Our FAD has been taking a list of orders to be filled as he obtains 2254.50s but the supply is slowly coming to an end.

POs will be around for a long while and will eventually be upgraded to the 8500 movement but the price will also be greatly "upgraded" as well. The 2254.50 is comparable (IMO, preferable) to a Rolex Sub for less than 1/2 the price. That is value in anyone's economy. Get the SMP now while you can.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
What difference is it going to make if they are upgraded to the 8500, what are the benefits? Supposedly the service intervals are fairly extensive now, and most average +/- 3 secs per day. What is the advantage? I'm curious. Will it make my breakfast?

·
Registered
96 Posts
2254.50. I havent seen one in a dealer here in atlanta in a couple of months. Gettin' scarce.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You can't make a bad choice here. Both are awesome watches.

I'd go with the PO. I like larger watches and I think the "large" watch trend will continue indefinitely. Keep in mind the PO isn't a blingy watch. Also, the AR is complete on the PO and on the 2254.50 the AR is only on the inside of the crystal. Blah.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
To be honest, the Rolex Submariner and Omega Speedmaster Professional are probably the only two watches that are guaranteed to be a "daily wearing watch that does it all sporty, not too fancy/dressy,just a good watch that will last and never go out of style." They're virtually unchanged over the last 50 years, and continue to be best sellers. But out of your choices, the 2254 is the next best, I think.

The 41mm size of the 2254.50 won't go out of style in any of our lifetimes. 40-42mm is the classic range for the most popular and enduring sport watches (e.g., Submariner, Seamaster Pro, Speedmaster Pro), and they'll continue to be the standard for the foreseeable future. The 45mm PO is at a greater risk of being out of fashion, I think.

As for versatility, I'm not as fussy as some about what can or can't be worn with a suit, and I think either the 2254 or 42mm PO are fine (I wear my Bond without hesitation). But, I really don't think I'd ever feel comfortable with the 45mm PO with a suit (and try getting it under a shirt cuff!).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Any idea when the Cal 8500 will make it into the 42mm PO?

I plan to pick up both a SMP Quartz and a 42mm PO into my collection but if the PO 42mm is receiving a substantial movement upgrade, I can hold off on it even though I desire that watch quite a bit more.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have been looking at Omega watches for a while now. I have found a "brand new" Omega Seamaster professional 2254.50 (Automatic) at a out of state Authorized Dealer. (Selling for $1749.00) While looking locally I have grown to like the PO 45.5 (2900.50.91)(XL) size with the rubber strap.(Selling for $2700.00) I can only afford to get one watch and am having a hard time choosing between the two. With the trend of larger watches, Is the size of the 41mm. Seamaster Professional becoming too small for a 7" wrist? I just want a daily wearing watch that does it all sporty, not too fancy/dressy,just a good watch that will last and never go out of style. Does the 2254.50 look good with the PO rubber strap? Will Omega be coming out with a newer version of the Seamaster Professional (Like the 2254.50) but with the co/ ax movement and larger size? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED ! THANKS
I have the 45mm PO QoS and the Omega SMP GMT. My wrist is also 7" and yes, sometimes I do find the 41mm a bit on the small size. However, I think that it's a matter of perception rather than fact. The size that you use the most is the one your brain will adopt to. Anyhow, here are some pictures to help you decide on size.

C. Soler

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm amazed at all the post's saying the 45.5 PO is too big. I'm 6'1 and 178 lbs with a 6-1/4" wrist and I find it to sit perfectly. I've had the 2254.50 for 5 years and never got a single compliment on it (don't get me wrong, I LOVE the watch). But, I've had my orange PO on bracelet for less than 3 weeks and have had at least 5 compliments on it. In my opinion, the PO is a great upgrade to the 2254.50.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think both watches are really good looking. But 1) with the 2254.5 discontinued 2) and the cult following behind the watch (and the movement), I think the purchase of the 2254.5 is a no-brainer. Go for the 2254.5, while you can still find it. You wont be disappointed. You can always get the PO, it will be around for a while, I'm sure. I love my 2254.5. In fact, I haven't looked at my Rolex in AGES. Good luck, my friend.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I'm amazed at all the post's saying the 45.5 PO is too big. I'm 6'1 and 178 lbs with a 6-1/4" wrist and I find it to sit perfectly. I've had the 2254.50 for 5 years and never got a single compliment on it (don't get me wrong, I LOVE the watch). But, I've had my orange PO on bracelet for less than 3 weeks and have had at least 5 compliments on it. In my opinion, the PO is a great upgrade to the 2254.50.
The day I buy a watch to get complimented on it is hopefully the day I stop buying watches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The day I buy a watch to get complimented on it is hopefully the day I stop buying watches.
Never said I bought the PO or the 2254 to get compliments, I bought them because I liked them, the compliments simply came while wearing the Planet Ocean. I could care less about the compliments, it was simply an observation considering I own and enjoy both. Don't put words in my mouth.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts