WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Tudor Pelagos, Omega 2254.50, Seiko SPB051, Garmin, G Shock
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have either if you could do it again which way would you go? I love the pop of the new dials, but have always been a fan of the sword hands. Can't decide which way to go. Unfortunately I don't have an AD local to try them on, so I will be purchasing online.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wouldn't these be very different price points? You need to try on both, there is a significant difference in the feel of these models. The newer SMP feels more refined to me. If you are asking purely about esthetics then the 2254 looks better, again my opinion. I have never been able to get used to the skeleton hands, the hour hand is out of symmetry to my eyes. Sold the 2541 kept the 2254.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The newer SMP is a heftier watch with better spec than the 2254 ie longer PR, metas movement, longer PR, adjustable clasp etc. But it should be as it’s probably twice the price of a 2254. The 2254 will wipe the floor with the new SMP where lume is concerned though. End of the day they’re both great watches. You have the added bonus of a 5 year warranty with the new one as well. Next decision is colour! Keep this thread updated with your final choice.

·
Registered
360 Posts
For those that have either if you could do it again which way would you go? I love the pop of the new dials, but have always been a fan of the sword hands. Can't decide which way to go. Unfortunately I don't have an AD local to try them on, so I will be purchasing online.

View attachment 15759691

View attachment 15759692
For me, it would be the 2254, hands down, no question. I much prefer the design aesthetic of the now ‘older’ Omegas of the 90s / 00s era.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I own a 2254, and a planet ocean with the 8500.

The 2254, and new SMP are very different watches. The fit, finish, and action of things like the bezel, crown, bracelet, clasp, etc are much more premium on the newer Omegas....You also can not feel any rotor wobble on the newer movements whereas I definitely feel it from time to time on my 2254.

Having mentioned all those things, I love my 2254, and will never get rid of it....I love the sword hands, subtle wave dial, lume, and classic/timeless styling. I think it has, and will continue to age very well. It is also very thin, light, and comfortable with a tapering speedy bracelet.

It all depends on what you are looking for as to me they are both automatic Seamasters with the same water resistance, but are pretty different otherwise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the 2254. Just breaking down the differences.

210.30.42.20.01.001 Pros:
  • Movement: current version has co-axial and METAS rating. I don't really know enough about co-axial; I suspect the difference is more marketing than anything. But the anti-magnetic feature is a big plus.
  • Bezel: Ceramic is better than steel to prevent scratch.
  • Applied indices: I suspect most folks like applied indices. I do.
2254 Pro:
  • Price.
Styling differences, which depends on each individual's taste:
  • Size: 2254 has 41mm case, 11.5mm height, 47.3mm lug-to-lug. New version has 42mm case, 13.7mm height, 50.1mm lug-to-lug. Depends on you. For me, 2254 is better fit for my 6.75" wrist.
  • Dial Face: small wave patterns on 2254 vs deep trenches on current version. Personal styling preference. I like the old waves. New one is too busy and distracting.
  • Hands: Personal styling preference. I like the sword hand on 2254. This is one of main reasons I got the 2254 over Bond version.
  • Bracelet: Personal styling preference. I like the 2254 speedy style. The other reason I got 2254 over Bond version.
  • Indices: all rectangular vs rectangular/circuluar. Personal preference.
Besides styling preference, the new version is better, but then old version is cheaper. It just comes down if you want to pay more for the movement, ceramic bezel, and applied indices. And the rest depends on your preference.

For me, black dial SMP is all easy: SMPc2500 > 2254 > SMPc8800.
As v1triol mentioned, there are couple more options with Calibre 2500:
  • 212.30.41.20.01.002: same or similar wave as 2254, with applied indices, skeleton hands, and small fonts on bezel.
  • 212.30.41.20.01.003: no wave on dial, with applied indices, skeleton hands, ceramic bezel with muted gray fonts.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I have owned my 2254.50 nearly 12 years and it was AD purchased new, it will never leave my collection although many other watches have since then. It's thin and hugs a flat wrist well, has great lume and I find the dial and hands make the watch easy to read at a glance. My understanding is that it is easily serviceable by a watchmaker. I had mine serviced through Omega and I didn't cry too much about the cost.. If I get another 12 years out of it without a service, I will be happy.

As to the cons. I have read that some wearers dislike the bracelet (I like it and find it comfortable). You will be buying used so add in service cost to whatever price you pay. The cost on these have slowly been increasing. I did get mine magnetized once over the years and I had to use a $9 demagnetizer on it. Since you will be buying used, cosmetic condition will be a factor. I have seen some beat to hell and others that look to be in "good condition". In recent years I have only seen one that I would have considered "excellent condition".

I don't own the new model so I can't comment as to how I like it. Never felt the need to "upgrade" and I prefer the look of the 2254.50 over the newer models. I have seen the new model at my AD and they do look fantastic.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Make it a poll! Wave dial of the new SMP is incredibly striking and it seems that it is a noticeable step up from previous generations. BUT, 2254 gets my vote. Something about the indices and a greatly preferred handset on that model. There is a reason many people are still rocking these proudly years and years down the line. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, though.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Older v newer. However I do love the new hour hand just not the minute hand. I feel like they should have made it straight side not taper.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hands down 2254! I own a 2254 and an America’s Cup as well as the Great White and the Black GMT. I love the old dials and cases. The wearability is fantastic. I tried the new one at the AD and didn’t love it. It’s bigger than my older GMTs and I don’t like the new wave dial. I ended up buying the Planet Ocean which is awesome. The new Omegas are definitely more premium feeling as everyone mentioned but they are tanks.

I will never sell any of my old Omegas.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts

View attachment 15759691

View attachment 15759692
For me probably both. I already have the 2254. The blue Diver is likely next on my list !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Solution to the OP. Buy the 2264.50 as a beater... cheaper than the 2254.50, no service interval or rotor wobble since it’s quartz. Take the savings and purchase the new SMP300.

I’ve had my 2264.50 for six years, had a $20 replacement of battery and check of the seals about three years in and I’m good! Never will part with it.

Again, get both!

·
Registered
Tudor Pelagos, Omega 2254.50, Seiko SPB051, Garmin, G Shock
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solution to the OP. Buy the 2264.50 as a beater... cheaper than the 2254.50, no service interval or rotor wobble since it’s quartz. Take the savings and purchase the new SMP300.

I’ve had my 2264.50 for six years, had a $20 replacement of battery and check of the seals about three years in and I’m good! Never will part with it.

Again, get both!

haha I love the idea, however I am only in the market for 1. I currently have a Pelagos LHD as my daily driver. Have always love the SMP since I was a kid. Trying to make that dream a reality.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts