WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
For those that have either if you could do it again which way would you go? I love the pop of the new dials, but have always been a fan of the sword hands. Can't decide which way to go. Unfortunately I don't have an AD local to try them on, so I will be purchasing online.

View attachment 15759691

View attachment 15759692
You can't go wrong with either one but with today's prices I can get the new SMP for the same price as very good 2254s are going for. I have to wait for a sale at AAFES but I can do it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think this is similar to the choice between a new Sub and the older 14060. A lot of people prefer the styling and feel of the older Sub even though the newer one is technically a far superior animal. Difficult choice. You get a much nicer watch with the new Diver 300 but in addition to the difference in style (sword hands vs skeleton hands) it has lost some of the charm and wearability of the older 2254. Tough choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would be 2254 for me - sword hands beat skeleton hands & subtle wavy dial is much nicer.
A 41mm watch that is very slim with fairly short lug to lug length, so very wearable on any wrist size.
Prices have been rising on these for a while - a good example will be quite expensive to purchase.

·
Registered
Omega 2201.50
307 Posts
2254.50 is the winner. All day. In fact I owned not this exact watch but the also-new-design Planet Ocean and sold it, keeping my 2254.50 and buying a 2201.50 Omega in favor of it.

·
Registered
Omega 2201.50
307 Posts
I have the 2254. Just breaking down the differences.

210.30.42.20.01.001 Pros:
  • Movement: current version has co-axial and METAS rating. I don't really know enough about co-axial; I suspect the difference is more marketing than anything. But the anti-magnetic feature is a big plus.
  • Bezel: Ceramic is better than steel to prevent scratch.
  • Applied indices: I suspect most folks like applied indices. I do.
2254 Pro:
  • Price.
Styling differences, which depends on each individual's taste:
  • Size: 2254 has 41mm case, 11.5mm height, 47.3mm lug-to-lug. New version has 42mm case, 13.7mm height, 50.1mm lug-to-lug. Depends on you. For me, 2254 is better fit for my 6.75" wrist.
  • Dial Face: small wave patterns on 2254 vs deep trenches on current version. Personal styling preference. I like the old waves. New one is too busy and distracting.
  • Hands: Personal styling preference. I like the sword hand on 2254. This is one of main reasons I got the 2254 over Bond version.
  • Bracelet: Personal styling preference. I like the 2254 speedy style. The other reason I got 2254 over Bond version.
  • Indices: all rectangular vs rectangular/circuluar. Personal preference.
Besides styling preference, the new version is better, but then old version is cheaper. It just comes down if you want to pay more for the movement, ceramic bezel, and applied indices. And the rest depends on your preference.

As v1triol mentioned, there are couple more options with Calibre 2500:
  • 212.30.41.20.01.002: same or similar wave as 2254, with applied indices, skeleton hands, and small fonts on bezel.
  • 212.30.41.20.01.003: no wave on dial, with applied indices, skeleton hands, ceramic bezel with muted gray fonts.
Mostly agree, but in my case I’d put the ceramic dials of the new Omegas in the negatives column. It was why I sold the new Planet Ocean that I owned (that and it’s too thick - proportions are wrong). The dial, IMO, should not be blingy - it detracts from everything else and reduces legibility.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I suggest getting a 2254 AND the new SMP but in a white dial.

They’re very different watches and the black vs white dials play to each watch’s strength.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
For those that have either if you could do it again which way would you go? I love the pop of the new dials, but have always been a fan of the sword hands. Can't decide which way to go. Unfortunately I don't have an AD local to try them on, so I will be purchasing online.

View attachment 15759691

View attachment 15759692
Now that I’ve had time to reflect on this for a couple of weeks, it’s the 2254 for me. Yes the new dial pops and of course it looks beautiful. I can’t bring myself to get a new one due to the bulkiness, specifically 50 mm lug to lug and almost 14 mm thick. In sharp contrast, the 2254 wears like an absolute dream with a more reasonable lug to lug and case thickness. So I’ll be keeping my 2254, and won’t be going for the new SMP300

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just purchased a super clean 2254.50 that I should have by Friday or Saturday. Can't wait!

I will still add/keep at least one SMPc or perhaps two with it ... blue or black along with the white.

·
Registered
Tudor Pelagos, Omega 2254.50, Seiko SPB051, Garmin, G Shock
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So the new 2254.50 arrived and it is beautiful. I'm glad I went with this one over the new SMPc.

My only gripe is the clasp can be pulled apart/pop off without using the side buttons. Is this an easy remedy or something I need to send to the service center?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
So I just made an impulse purchase ... think it’s the best one I’ve made so far. Awesome watch.

Dumb question: do the links “punch” out to size the bracelet? I’m used to newer watches that have screws to remove the links, so I want to make sure before I try to size the bracelet.

Congratulations! Looks very, very nice!! Push pins!!

Reactions: Wrist_Watcher

·
Registered
Tudor Pelagos, Omega 2254.50, Seiko SPB051, Garmin, G Shock
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I just made an impulse purchase ... think it’s the best one I’ve made so far. Awesome watch.

Dumb question: do the links “punch” out to size the bracelet? I’m used to newer watches that have screws to remove the links, so I want to make sure before I try to size the bracelet.

yes. They punch out. Just be careful not to lose the “sleeve” inside the links. Follow the arrows on the back.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yes. They punch out. Just be careful not to lose the “sleeve” inside the links. Follow the arrows on the back.
I finally got one out but cannot get the other side out. I'm scared I'm going to break the bracelet if I put too much force on it, so I may just take it to my local AD to finish sizing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My only gripe is the clasp can be pulled apart/pop off without using the side buttons. Is this an easy remedy or something I need to send to the service center?
I'm no expert, but might just need a new spring in the clasp as it shouldn't pull apart?

·
Registered
239 Posts
So this is interesting. I removed the bracelet until I can get it sized at a dealer, and while I was playing around with straps and just before I submitted an order for a black Zealande strap I decided to give my SubC (116610) Rubber B strap ... and it fits. I can’t believe it. Bezel still turns perfectly as well.

I think it looks fantastic...

21 - 40 of 76 Posts