WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
2254.50 would be my choice. The new SMPs are amazing, but have grown too big and heavy for my tastes. I also don't like the non-tapering rather dated looking bracelet.

I keep an eye on the 2254 sale listings off and on, and these continue to go up in value, especially if recently serviced. It's too bad Omega can't make an SMP with slightly smaller proportions (thickness and weight), maybe less WR would allow that? Add an open case back to see that amazing movement and on a more modern adjustable bracelet. That would be good seller I think.

·
Registered
Omega 2201.50
307 Posts
I’ll vote no on the open case back. It increases the thickness for no real purpose, IMO (you can only see it if you take off the watch). I’ve had watches with it and eventually sold them off. Having the engraved/embossed back like the 2254.50 (and 2201.50) has is the way to go. It’s no coincidence that I own both of those.

2201.50 case back:

2254.50 case back:

·
Registered
Omega 2201.50
307 Posts
I’m not who you asked, but to me the wrist size has little bearing on complaints about the thickness of the watch case. It’s about the proportions being wrong (ie too thick for a given case diameter) and is why I bought and then resold my Omega Planet Ocean (the new style with the ceramic dial - another feature I didn’t care for).

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
That's a good point about the open case back adding thickness. Basically I want an Aqua Terra with a rotating dive bezel and modern, tapering bracelet with the adjustable clasp.

Reactions: pdoherty

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’m not who you asked, but to me the wrist size has little bearing on complaints about the thickness of the watch case. It’s about the proportions being wrong (ie too thick for a given case diameter) and is why I bought and then resold my Omega Planet Ocean (the new style with the ceramic dial - another feature I didn’t care for).
Who me? I was asking because I am thinking of buying the 2254 in a couple of months perhaps. I have a 6.7 inch wrist, I am curious of the lug to lug because I have heard it increases to 52mm with the male end link on the bracelet.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The case is 47mm, and the male endlinks do extend it a bit (~52), but I don't think it is noticeable or an issue because they curve down significantly. My wrist is 6.75".

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have one from straight down.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This might help

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ryan1881

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks do you still have the watch? Maybe you could get another picture later from straight up

Here’s a shot top down of my 2254 (it has the non-AC dial mod and I also fitted a luminous ceramic bezel insert) on my 6.75” wrist. Super comfortable on bracelet (with adjustable clasp mod), the new SMP rubber, and a Zealande. I’m thinking about sourcing that double ridged Omega rubber strap pictured earlier in the thread as well as I quite like that look.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here’s a shot top down of my 2254 (it has the non-AC dial mod and I also fitted a luminous ceramic bezel insert) on my 6.75” wrist. Super comfortable on bracelet (with adjustable clasp mod), the new SMP rubber, and a Zealande. I’m thinking about sourcing that double ridged Omega rubber strap pictured earlier in the thread as well as I quite like that look.
Thanks for that, Looks like it should fit me fine.

·
Registered
Omega 2201.50
307 Posts

Have a URL to that ceramic bezel?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Have a URL to that ceramic bezel?
Yup! I went with a slightly pricier one rather than the cheaper eBay inserts.

You’ll need to reduce its thickness by around 0.75mm to fit flush in the bezel but it’s totally worth it.

Here’s a brief write up on how I did that (see post #107):

If that link doesn’t work try this:
50th GMT Ceramic bezel mod

61 - 76 of 76 Posts