WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have the opportunity to pick up this 23 Jewels Bulova. Crystal is cracked and will need a replacement. Have no idea whether it works. My dad's birthday is in May, so I am thinking having this serviced will be his present. The case is a little unusual for the 23 line.

Anyway, thoughts or observations are welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Crystals are standard and maybe $20 at most installed. The service will be more but worth it if you get it cheap enough. These were great watches in their time and even today.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear this is a watch worth servicing. My old man should like it, especially with a black leather strap as contrast with the SS case and pearl face, which looks textured.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looks like all stainless. I saw 23j line in white gold plated. Keep an eye on this aspect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 23j bulovas are great watches, I inherited one that was my great-grandfather's. I had it serviced and now it looks and runs great. They are small watches though, something to keep in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Yuriyv is correct, the Bulova 23 line did have several models that used different case materials. That model of Bulova 23 used the following materials for that case

Stainless Steel
Chrome Plated
Yellow Gold Filled
White Gold Filled

Not to mention that there were two types of case back used in that model. There was the traditional screw down case back that is used by watches today and also the locking ring case back (like what was on most Accutron models)

That crab case was also used for other watches.

Make sure the case spring is not lost or the movement will never be secure in the case.

Here are 2 of mine with this case. The black dial one is a Bulova 23 and the other one uses the same type of case but is not a Bulova 23 (it does have a nice sparkle dial)

Crystals are plentiful for this watch. My watch guy sourced a crystal for the black dial watch

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yuriyv is correct, the Bulova 23 line did have several models that used different case materials. That model of Bulova 23 used the following materials for that case

Stainless Steel
Chrome Plated
Yellow Gold Filled
White Gold Filled

Not to mention that there were two types of case back used in that model. There was the traditional screw down case back that is used by watches today and also the locking ring case back (like what was on most Accutron models)

That crab case was also used for other watches.

Make sure the case spring is not lost or the movement will never be secure in the case.

Here are 2 of mine with this case. The black dial one is a Bulova 23 and the other one uses the same type of case but is not a Bulova 23 (it does have a nice sparkle dial)

Crystals are plentiful for this watch. My watch guy sourced a crystal for the black dial watch
That black one is gorgeous!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked it up. Paid $25. Inside caseback says M0, so 1960. I have not been able to find the date code on the caseback or movement. Casback has some residual adhesive from where the price sticker was located. Original crown. Doesn't run or wind, but movement look to be relatively healthy. Just in bad need of service.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I picked it up. Paid $25. Inside caseback says M0, so 1960. I have not been able to find the date code on the caseback or movement. Casback has some residual adhesive from where the price sticker was located. Original crown. Doesn't run or wind, but movement look to be relatively healthy. Just in bad need of service.
The movement code looks to be here. I cropped the first pic you sent. It looks like it is M0

The caseback writing on those watches were known for wearing known wearing away. The date code should have been under the serial number. Turning it up at an angle to light sometimes shows what is left of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good eye, journeyforce. I will keep folks posted on the servicing and provide post-servicing pics. I need to select a strap and am leaning toward a black leather one to contrast with the SS case and white dial, but suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Good eye, journeyforce. I will keep folks posted on the servicing and provide post-servicing pics. I need to select a strap and am leaning toward a black leather one to contrast with the SS case and white dial, but suggestions are welcome.
Personally, I think a vintage expansion band would look good on the watch. Most of them ether got expansion bands at the local Hamilton jeweler anyway.

I think it is a 16mm lug watch. Get a 16mm(or whatever lug size it is) stainless expansion band (scissor style). Make sure it is a band that is the actual size for your watch and not a one band for many lug sizes. The scissor bands were not hair pullers

Or a nice mesh/Milanese style band

1 - 13 of 13 Posts