WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

is the hamilton worth fixing or should i just sell it?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've had the pleasure of owning a beautiful hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic since 2014. I've been proudly using it since 2014 as a daily beater and it has finally given up on me o|.One of the screws came off the watch into the movement until it eventually got inside the spinning wheel :-|. So now i took it to "its about time" and they want to charge me $230 for both the screw & a new movement. should i just take it back and sell it as is or fix it and keep wearing as a daily beater?

·
Registered
662 Posts
i wouldnt expect it to be worth much as a parts watch.
i would just fix it, especially of that estimate included a brand new movement.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I can understand the added and unexpected expense being painful. If you love the watch I would definitely get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Kind of crazy a little screw could destroy a whole movement. $230 is not bad for a new movement, but do you need a new movement? Before you bite the bullet, I say you get quotes from multiple watchmakers. Could possibly be a very easy fix that needs maybe 2-3 parts replaced but your current watchmaker doesn't have the time of day to actually take apart the movement and figure out what's wrong.

Reactions: Puffinstuff

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That price seems pretty good to me since it is a brand new movement. If it has any sentimental value, then I would suggest fixing it. If it has no sentimental value, then take it as an opportunity to get a new watch or fix it if it is still something you like. Think of it as spending $230 for a used watch with a new movement.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
$230 is a bargain for a new movement . Try $600+ for a service and overhaul on a Breitling B01 mechanical chrono.

Even if you pay the $230 to get it fixed and flip it later, you will still recover the cost of the repair.

By the way, welcome to the world of mechanical watch maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,803 Posts
Yep, those costs for a noob feel like a cryogenic shower.
$230 is a bargain for a new movement . Try $600+ for a service and overhaul on a Breitling B01 mechanical chrono.

Even if you pay the $230 to get it fixed and flip it later, you will still recover the cost of the repair.

By the way, welcome to the world of mechanical watch maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Sell it, in broken condition??? I'd love to see the ad for that.

Either toss it in a drawer, give it away to someone who wants to practice watch repair, or pay the price to get it fixed. $230 is a fantastic price if they're putting in a new movement and it will save you a lot of money versus buying a new watch, especially since you seem to like the watch.

·
Premium Member
9,397 Posts
I had a crystal break on a watch. Didn't do anything close to due diligence. The tab to replace it...$75. Not much choice because, as noted, I'd not checked...and they'd done the work. I winced at it, but basically it was a lesson learned.

Point is: repair costs are always high. Getting the right part that will fit, disassemby, proper fitting, hopefully some basic care to make sure it's all cleaned up, the cost of the crystal itself...it adds up fast. The hourly rate for the labor is HIGH...probably close to $100/hour...because you're paying for all the ancillary aspects. With a movement swap, you have a full disassembly, fit the dial and hands onto the new movement, then replace and re-fit into the case.

Oh, and here's Otto Frei's pricing for some base-level Swiss movements:

ETA Mechanical Watch Movements

And another supplier; this is in Canadian dollars. US, it'd be about 80%.

ETA Mechanical Watch Movements

Many brands use Miyota or Seiko because they perform fairly well at a MUCH lower price point.

EDIT: this page gives you a good basis to compare costs on several movements, from the same supplier...ergo, markups are likely similar.
http://www.startimesupply.com/merch..._Code=1&Category_Code=Automatic&Product_Code=

·
Premium Member
16,876 Posts
i wouldnt expect it to be worth much as a parts watch.
i would just fix it, especially of that estimate included a brand new movement.
What he said.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I wish there was an option for "Fix the watch and stop using it as a beater."
When I think beater watch I think G-Shock or a durable dive watch, not a dress watch.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Fix it. You can pick up double that on the bay - if you don't want it anymore.
Replace the movement. Wearing one right now that was a "screw came loose" victim, over 300 to repair/replace all the little damaged areas and get it running again.

But why make it a "beater"? If that is your intent, have them epoxy in a 25 buck quartz movement.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts