WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,879 Posts
Looks like someone may have found Charlie Sheen's watch!

·
Registered
304 Posts
The price is easy to calculate:
$100,000 for the word "Patek"​
+ $100,000 for the word "Phillipe"​
+ $38,000 for a platinum, superbly-finished inhouse chronograph​
----------------------------------​
= $238,000​

Any questions?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read up on them and the level of craftsmanship and testing is very impressive but still the prices are extreme.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
= $238,000​

Any questions?
Yes it's a funny answer, but on a more serious note, you should see that small video on youtube YouTube - Patek Philippe - Birth of a Legend, you will maybe understand a bit more why these watches are among the most expensive in the world, and it's not because they are full of diamonds and rare stones. You might change your thinking... I found it very interesting myself and it did change my perception of the company.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Are you in the market for a watch that costs a quarter million dollars? If not, then why try to understand why it costs so much? If somebody is willing to pay that kind of price for Patek watches then they're worth it. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, then you don't. This is akin to somebody driving a Hyundai saying they don't see why a Ferrari costs so much since they're both cars and get you from point A to point B.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It always amazes me when someone on a watch forum expresses amazement at the price of something. Personally, I have no idea how Invicta convinces anyone to spend even $100 on one of their watches, but they do very well at it.

"Value" is a very misused term. Let's assume you really meant "market value." The "market value" of an item is what a willing buyer, under no compulsion to buy, will pay a willing seller, under no compulsion to sell.

This is a rare item, with all the cachet you could hope for. For people who can write a check for that much, it makes perfect sense to acquire something the next guy with that much money can't have, since there's not another one out there to buy.

Just because there's little tangible value in the watch doesn't mean it doesn't have great value to well-heeled collector. Of course, it does mean that there's some risk that he won't be able to sell it at a profit sometime, but somehow I don't think that's a big concern.

·
Registered
39,678 Posts
You forgot one, it's a perpetual calendar as well.
= $238,000​

Any questions?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It always amazes me when someone on a watch forum expresses amazement at the price of something. Personally, I have no idea how Invicta convinces anyone to spend even $100 on one of their watches, but they do very well at it.

"Value" is a very misused term. Let's assume you really meant "market value." The "market value" of an item is what a willing buyer, under no compulsion to buy, will pay a willing seller, under no compulsion to sell.

This is a rare item, with all the cachet you could hope for. For people who can write a check for that much, it makes perfect sense to acquire something the next guy with that much money can't have, since there's not another one out there to buy.

Just because there's little tangible value in the watch doesn't mean it doesn't have great value to well-heeled collector. Of course, it does mean that there's some risk that he won't be able to sell it at a profit sometime, but somehow I don't think that's a big concern.
If the watch was a "one off" then I could understand it just like a piece of art which it technically is but when there's more than one, I just can't see the price.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
If the watch was a "one off" then I could understand it just like a piece of art which it technically is but when there's more than one, I just can't see the price.
Very poor argument there, really. You can't see the price because you have no clue about Patek Philippe watches. And your post suggest you have limited knowledge about watches in general. I suggest you educate yourself a bit and then comment. JMHO

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very poor argument there, really. You can't see the price because you have no clue about Patek Philippe watches. And your post suggest you have limited knowledge about watches in general. I suggest you educate yourself a bit and then comment. JMHO
At no point have I ever pretended to know about Patek. If you know so much, why not educate me on why they are so valuable. I love watches, I think the craftsmanship on some is incredible and it seems these are the best but unless it's a one off or has certain jewels on it, the price is epic. I am not rubbishing the price or the company, I am just in awe at the price.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I watched the video referenced above and PP watches are incredible works of art. All the hand done work is amazing. I would love to have one.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
This really is one of those "if you have to ask, you'll never understand."

It's worth it to the guy who bought it. It would be worth roughly the same amount to someone else with enough wealth to pay that kind of price for yet another amazing watch. There is an established market for these gems. And this is in the ballpark.

This guy paying that much for a rare, amazing watch is no different than for one of us "normal" people to pay a few thousand dollars for a very nice watch, an act that amazes most people.

I just can't see what your issue is. This is very, very simple economics.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
At no point have I ever pretended to know about Patek. If you know so much, why not educate me on why they are so valuable. I love watches, I think the craftsmanship on some is incredible and it seems these are the best but unless it's a one off or has certain jewels on it, the price is epic. I am not rubbishing the price or the company, I am just in awe at the price.
It's possible I misunderstood your post. To be amazed by the price of an object is one thing, but to argue that it doesn't worth it's price because it's not a ONE unit production, simply doesn't make sense. Before I say that I can't see the price, I will try to find information on the product and I will educate myself a bit, then I will comment. This is the way I am. Just watch the video I've posted up here. You will have a better picture and this will be a good start. Patek Philippe make among the most complicated movements made by man and it cost a fortune to do so, not only in R&D, but in equipment as well. Then, these watch, as you will probably suspect, are not made by millions. I do not have and will probably never own a PP, but I can appreciate the level of engineering involved and the amazing level of craftsmanship this company is capable of. The family behind that company do get all my respect.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
This really is one of those "if you have to ask, you'll never understand."

It's worth it to the guy who bought it. It would be worth roughly the same amount to someone else with enough wealth to pay that kind of price for yet another amazing watch. There is an established market for these gems. And this is in the ballpark.

This guy paying that much for a rare, amazing watch is no different than for one of us "normal" people to pay a few thousand dollars for a very nice watch, an act that amazes most people.

I just can't see what your issue is. This is very, very simple economics.
And I would go even further than that Mark, it doesn't sell that price just because people are willing to pay for it. I understand the actual cost of a $250000 watch is not $250000, but i'm 100% sure that real cost of making these, are outrageous. They also have to pay for the facility, equipments, very qualified personel... This is not a $5000 that will sell for a few hundred thousand $ just because it's a PP, they are very, very expensive to make too, some of their watches take more than 3 months to make.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
At no point have I ever pretended to know about Patek. If you know so much, why not educate me on why they are so valuable. I love watches, I think the craftsmanship on some is incredible and it seems these are the best but unless it's a one off or has certain jewels on it, the price is epic.
Why not educate yourself? That's what most of us did. Google and the search function is your friend.

Ah, the wonderful Public Forum! Would someone please tell me why we keep coming back for this?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.