WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored this beauty a week or so ago and like it a lot so far .

It takes a bit to get used to but its second nature now as its had a fair bit of wrist time , on that the leather strap is softening up nicely , great design like a squared off Turtle that wears as comfortable as my Seiko PADI Turtle and while on Seiko this beauty sports a Seiko NH39 movement and is keeping a sweet +3 seconds per day for the last week or so ,, pretty good .

Comments welcome as I have never seen one before buying this nice watch .

Beanerds

·
Premium Member
34,661 Posts
Very cool. Very unique as well.

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,954 Posts
That is definitely a three-hand watch.

A 24 hour single hand watch looks more like this:

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Comments welcome as I have never seen one before buying this nice watch .
I'm really sorry but you did invite comments.

I Like
- 24 hour dial

I Don't Like
- Semi-Skeleton (aka 'open heart')
- Angled grooves on face
- Missing hour markers
- Missing minute/second markers
- Chopped off railroad ends
- Chopped hour dial
- Pointless subdial around open heart
- Weird silver smiley thing
- Mismatched colour of hands
- Central seconds hand
- Weird-shaped bezel
- Drilled lugs
- Price
- Logo

Most of the design features seem to have been added to balance/offset other design features. The result is that there's just too much going on and not in a harmonious way.

To my eyes this watch fares badly against this somewhat similarly intended Parnis 24H regulator (which has a couple of problems of its own, design-wise).

My guess is that Reign wanted to make the 'Astro' a regulator-style 24H watch but couldn't get any Miyota 8219 movements, so they got some Seiko NH39s out of their stock and simply left off the hour hand. It's almost but not quite a regulator.

Overall I really don't think they succeeded, design-wise. What the Astro needs is a yellow 12-hour hand to make it look complete.

To ram the point home, have a look at Reign's 'Impaler' Semi-Skeleton. That works a lot better despite having a whole 'nother set of problems.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It gets a little vague when the minutes are between 41 and 59 :)
That ain't the minute hand , its the 24 hour counter , but 99% of the time that the hand is there its 9pm to 11pmish I am asleep so not a problem .

Beanerds.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really sorry but you did invite comments.

I Like
- 24 hour dial

I Don't Like
  • Semi-Skeleton (aka 'open heart')
  • Angled grooves on face
  • Missing hour markers
  • Missing minute/second markers
  • Chopped off railroad ends
  • Chopped hour dial
  • Pointless subdial around open heart
  • Weird silver smiley thing
  • Mismatched colour of hands
  • Central seconds hand
  • Weird-shaped bezel
  • Drilled lugs
  • Price
  • Logo

Most of the design features seem to have been added to balance/offset other design features. The result is that there's just too much going on and not in a harmonious way.

To my eyes this watch fares badly against this somewhat similarly intended Parnis 24H regulator (which has a couple of problems of its own, design-wise).
View attachment 15813802

My guess is that Reign wanted to make the 'Astro' a regulator-style 24H watch but couldn't get any Miyota 8219 movements, so they got some Seiko NH39s out of their stock and simply left off the hour hand. It's almost but not quite a regulator.

Overall I really don't think they succeeded, design-wise. What the Astro needs is a yellow 12-hour hand to make it look complete.

To ram the point home, have a look at Reign's 'Impaler' Semi-Skeleton. That works a lot better despite having a whole 'nother set of problems.

View attachment 15813813
. Thanks , and it works very well , like I said its still at 3-4 seconds a day after 3 weeks so these Seiko Instrument movements are pretty good .

Beanerds.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
That ain't the minute hand , its the 24 hour counter , but 99% of the time that the hand is there its 9pm to 11pmish I am asleep so not a problem .
Beanerds.
Nope, I'm talking about the lack of the white "railroad track" between the 40 and 60 minute area. You have the 40,45,50,55 marker but in between you're doing a rough estimate of where it is.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, I'm talking about the lack of the white "railroad track" between the 40 and 60 minute area. You have the 40,45,50,55 marker but in between you're doing a rough estimate of where it is.
Ahh ,, well blow me down with a feather ! I have never noticed this ,,, and thank's as I will never un-see it again , but it's not been a problem as I normally Hack my watches at 12pm and if 20 seconds was a big deal ,,,,,,

Cool how the mind works , I have missed this in 3 weeks of wearing and someone else picks it up looking at 1 photo ,,, Really cool and thank's .

Beanerds .

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Ahh ,, well blow me down with a feather ! I have never noticed this ,,, and thank's as I will never un-see it again , but it's not been a problem as I normally Hack my watches at 12pm and if 20 seconds was a big deal ,,,,,,
Cool how the mind works , I have missed this in 3 weeks of wearing and someone else picks it up looking at 1 photo ,,, Really cool and thank's .
Beanerds .
I'm thinking most of us can guess accurately enough what minute it's closest to. And anyway, when someone asks me the time I often round up/down anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Why so defensive about these things, it's not like you made the watch yourself. Pick any watch you want and there will be someone on WUS who doesn't like it. I'm sure I have have plenty of watches in my collection that people look down upon but who cares. Here's a recent thread on watches that people don't like:
Watch brands that do nothing for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts