WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at 12-on-tops, which seem to be hard to find (especially affordable ones) and noticed this Tauchmeister. Isn't the coloring backwards? Shouldn't the dark be on the 18-24-6 instead, when it would be night time?

I would think the coloring should be like the AirNautic below, which seems more logical to me. Or am I missing something?

Any other good 12-O-T's you can recommend? Thx.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well one could argue for using more lume during the dark hours when it would be more usefull. But then I guess one would have to go into discussing wether or not dark on light or light on dark is more visable.
I too like 24hour watches with the 12 on the top. I just have a hard time finding any with a good casing that I like.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm looking at 12-on-tops, which seem to be hard to find (especially affordable ones) and noticed this Tauchmeister. Isn't the coloring backwards? Shouldn't the dark be on the 18-24-6 instead, when it would be night time?

I would think the coloring should be like the AirNautic below, which seems more logical to me. Or am I missing something?

Any other good 12-O-T's you can recommend? Thx.
I have the Tauchmeister- the lighter part of the face is lumed, and yes the night-time part is lighter when seen in the light because of the lume. It glows (briefly) in the dark. Nice Gmasian watch for the price, but if the lume were better it would be a steal. I don't like that the top part of the watch is so cluttered. Hands could be better contrasted too. However, it is quite accurate, wears ok, relatively well-constructed.

Overall the Airnautic looks better. Of course, its somewhat more expensive too. The Airnautic lume , if you loook at some pics (at least the ones I've seen), is based on indices and hands, not the dial. Therefore they are able to have the dial show a more logical day/night division. In the dark the indices and hands glow, not the dial.

re recommendations- I think Raketa might have a 12 on top, Long Island watch carries a Messerschmitt with a 24hr dial and 12 on top.

regards,
wemedge

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Tauchmeister- the lighter part of the face is lumed, and yes the night-time part is lighter when seen in the light because of the lume. It glows (briefly) in the dark. Nice Gmasian watch for the price, but if the lume were better it would be a steal. I don't like that the top part of the watch is so cluttered. Hands could be better contrasted too. However, it is quite accurate, wears ok, relatively well-constructed.

Overall the Airnautic looks better. Of course, its somewhat more expensive too. The Airnautic lume , if you loook at some pics (at least the ones I've seen), is based on indices and hands, not the dial. Therefore they are able to have the dial show a more logical day/night division. In the dark the indices and hands glow, not the dial.

re recommendations- I think Raketa might have a 12 on top, Long Island watch carries a Messerschmitt with a 24hr dial and 12 on top.

regards,
wemedge
Thanks guys - thanks also for the tip on the Messerschmitt, I didn't realize LI Watch had that. I looked for the 12OT Raketa but couldn't find it, but ended up buying 2 other Raketa 24 hour watches anyway! Somebody stop me before my wife does permanent damage! :-!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It certainly seems counter intuitive. I'd call it backwards.

·
3,630 Posts
I think you have a point about "counter-intuitive", but as far as functionality I think the AirNautic has the dial backwards. As you can see in this photo, while in the dark it's far easier to tell the time during the day than at night (hence, backwards)....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts