WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any true 24 hour inexpensive chinese watches that you can buy new? i havent seen any... (especially openheart or skeleton)

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,334 Posts
are there any true 24 hour inexpensive chinese watches that you can buy new? i havent seen any... (especially openheart or skeleton)
Alpha do a 24 hour. I can't think of any other Chinese brand 24 hour watches. Dolphin (a Russian brand) has made a few variants of their Raketa-homage 24-hour using a Shanghai automatic movement.

I think it is very unlikely that anybody will ever make a skeleton or open-heart 24 watch. Mind you, if a manufacturer like Liaoning were to make a 24-hour movement, then it would only be a matter of time before somebody made a mix-n-match like some of the $10 watches that we've seen on this forum.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Svalbard has a couple 24hr automatics now. I was told they use the PTS Resources 5833. 22 jewel, 21,600bph. I wasn't able to find any info on the particular movement. Anyone have any ideas or a catalog or something?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,334 Posts
5833 does not ring a bell for me, but it is likely a DG movement. I can't see it in the PTS catalogue.

Does anybody have a current website for Dixmont Guangzhou watches?

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
If there are any I haven't found them and I've been searching for such things for quite some time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's the Svalbard:

Not a Chinese watch as such, but a Chinese mechanical 24 hour movement.

That is a very strange dial layout with the seconds markers in normal positions and all the hour markers rotated 180 deg. o_O

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Check these out. I just found them on JD.com.
1288rmb or 190usd. It says it is a UK brand, but I can't find much about them.
The specs say quartz movements and by the looks of this photo they're GMTs with the 12-hour hand omitted.

That means Ronda 515.24h or a cheaper copy (which would be amazing considering the low cost of a 515.24H).

The Russellfield range is almost indistinguishable from Vasco watches, which have (you guessed it!) Ronda 515.24H movements in them.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
There is also this on Taobao. Chinese 24 hour watch for 328rmb/49usd.
Not purist 24-hour watches at all. Site translation says
12 o'clock watch arranged in a circle for 24 hours, twelve o'clock bearing gossip compass men's watch custom antique watch
Note the 12-hour Chinese numeral markings on the inner circle of one model.

The red hand might be a GMT hand but it's still mostly a 12-hour watch.

It might be interesting to obtain one with the more apparent 24-hour faces and convert it to purist.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Someone asked about Chinese 24 hour watches. I am just showing what I found.
Quartz or not. It is a 24 hour watch. Yes or no?

The specs say quartz movements and by the looks of this photo they're GMTs with the 12-hour hand omitted.
View attachment 15452870
That means Ronda 515.24h or a cheaper copy (which would be amazing considering the low cost of a 515.24H).

The Russellfield range is almost indistinguishable from Vasco watches, which have (you guessed it!) Ronda 515.24H movements in them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Someone asked about Chinese 24 hour watches. I am just sharing things I found.
Pruist or not. It is a Chinese 24 hour watch.
Also, you are sharing photos of the other watches on the link. There are several watches available. This one has a 24 hour dial.

Not purist 24-hour watches at all. Site translation says
12 o'clock watch arranged in a circle for 24 hours, twelve o'clock bearing gossip compass men's watch custom antique watch
Note the 12-hour Chinese numeral markings on the inner circle of one model.
View attachment 15452891
The red hand might be a GMT hand but it's still mostly a 12-hour watch.

It might be interesting to obtain one with the more apparent 24-hour faces and convert it to purist.
View attachment 15452899

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Also, you are sharing photos of the other watches on the link. There are several watches available. This one has a 24 hour dial.

I apologise if I come across as combative but this is a subject dear to my heart.

Despite what anyone may tell you, a GMT is not a 24-hour watch because the primary hand shows only 12-hours. When someone speaks of a '24-hour' watch I will take it they mean a true, or 'purist' one and not a GMT.

In my endless search for purist 24-hour watches I have wasted devoted countless hours to analysing watch photographs I find on the 'net. I believe I've become fairly good at telling true 24-hour movements from GMTs.

This watch has chapters with 24 sectors, yes. I can't tell if the Chinese character markings are numbers but regardless of that this is definitely a GMT movement.

That primary hour hand is a 12-hour hand very evidently showing 4:11.
In the image below I've added green dots on the bezel where the 8, 9 and 10 hours would show on a 24-hour watch. I've extended a green line showing the alignment of the primary hour hand with those hours. If it were a 24-hour hand it would be way out of alignment for 08:11; the alignment looks more like 08:30 which of course doesn't match the minutes.

The red 24-hour GMT hand (the presence of which is evidenced by the red ring in the middle) is unaccountably hidden behind the minute hand. Its red arrow edge is just showing (within the green circle I've added). It aligns fairly well with 04:11 of a 24-hour chapter which is consistent with it being a 24-hour hand.

Ergo this watch contains a GMT movement and cannot be a purist 24-hour watch.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I apologise if I come across as combative but this is a subject dear to my heart.
There is no reason to apoligize. I used to have the same passion for VCMs, but my interests have now shifted to making music and writing.
Honestly, I have zero interest in 24 hour watches or what a "purist 24 hour watch" is. Although, I am sure someone will find your post very informative.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Despite what anyone may tell you, a GMT is not a 24-hour watch because the primary hand shows only 12-hours. When someone speaks of a '24-hour' watch I will take it they mean a true, or 'purist' one and not a GMT.

In my endless search for purist 24-hour watches I have wasted devoted countless hours to analysing watch photographs I find on the 'net. I believe I've become fairly good at telling true 24-hour movements from GMTs.

This watch has chapters with 24 sectors, yes. I can't tell if the Chinese character markings are numbers but regardless of that this is definitely a GMT movement.

That primary hour hand is a 12-hour hand very evidently showing 4:11.
In the image below I've added green dots on the bezel where the 8, 9 and 10 hours would show on a 24-hour watch. I've extended a green line showing the alignment of the primary hour hand with those hours. If it were a 24-hour hand it would be way out of alignment for 08:11; the alignment looks more like 08:30 which of course doesn't match the minutes.
View attachment 15454816
The red 24-hour GMT hand (the presence of which is evidenced by the red ring in the middle) is unaccountably hidden behind the minute hand. Its red arrow edge is just showing (within the green circle I've added). It aligns fairly well with 04:11 of a 24-hour chapter which is consistent with it being a 24-hour hand.

Just to confuse things a bit; '24 hour' watch can have 2 meanings. 1. the dial has markings for the full 24 hour cycle and a movement that has the hour hand make one full cycle every 24 hours. 2. the dial has markings for 12 hours with secondary indicaters for 13 thru 24hours. This second type as you have pointed out is not a true 24 hour watch but simply one that has a fourth hand that circumvents the dial in a 24 hour period like a GMT one does. The difference is that the fourth hand is fixed to follow the hour hand whereas a GMT hand can be set independently and thus the 'GMT' label.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts