WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't worn this since I am uncomfortable with the rotor's movement. I opened it up and the screw is in place correctly. When it is turned, it does not turn in a straight flat line. It wobbles as it turns, to the point of touching the movement surface. I will get out my screwdriver and check that the screw is not the problem. It looks like the ball-bearings are not doing their job. Do I need a new rotor? Any other issues I should look for?

pmwas talks of a directional clutch needing lubrication. Are those the Reversing Wheels?

I used these threads for more info:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/amphibia-loose-rotor-518249.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-2416b-service-notes-240805.html

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I have heard, more than once, that they seem to have bearing issues in the 2416b rotors. You may just be able to replace the whole thing and be good.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard, more than once, that they seem to have bearing issues in the 2416b rotors. You may just be able to replace the whole thing and be good.
What is the quality of the replacement rotors?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The directional clutch is the reverser, but as long as it works correctly I wouldn't touch it. However it is an important thing to know that when this type of reverser is badly lubricated it can either get stuck and block the rotor, or the contrary - it might get totally loose making the rotor spin like crazy. The thing is that a spinning rotor in an ETA-style reversers means the reverser is badly worn and needs replacement. that is why in Vostok watches many reversers are replaced when they only need to be re-lubricated - I've even heard one watchmaker explaining the spinning rotor problem with damaged ratchets in the reversing wheel, but... there are no ratchets there in 2416B!!
Now getting back to the rotor - the problem might be the ball bearing, but it's unlikely if it's quite new. Even a non-lubricated bearing would need some time to get worn that badly. I think the rotor might be loose on the bearing (the rotor is simply pressed on the bearing) which is another too common Vostok issue. All you need is to take off the rotor and see if the bearing is loose in the rotor's hole. If it is, you might try to press the rotor back on the bearing, but, unless it was a hard knock that caused it, it will most likely fall off again.

The replacement rotors are original (I don't thing there are other available) and the quality is the same as of those in the watches. Usually they are just fine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a NOS 2002 model. Never used before so I was concerned about the oil. The case was quite tight and the rubber-washer and caseback was a tight fit. Took a bit more force to separate them.

Zenitar has the rotor for $15.40.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
With the rotor of Vostok 2416B it's a question of luck. They just break sometimes, more frequent than ETA, Orient or Seiko. Just don't expect that a Vostok rotor SHOULD break soon or later - it's not the case and it's not a kind of time bomb. I also had a broken bearing in a Vostok and the rotor was loose. I received a replacement rotor from Irina Maier and now, two and a half years later, everything is OK.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
What is the quality of the replacement rotors?
Sorry I was a bit late in getting back, but the guys have answered it pretty much like I've heard it. I've got 2 with 2416B movements, not an issue with either one. Sounds to me like they may have a QC problem with those bearings.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
In fact Vostok has a QC problem with everything ;). I can understand issues in cheap Amphibian watches, which are too cheap to be controlled really well, but so many issues in more expensive models are disturbing. Also the bearing unscrewing from the bridge is, wlee, acceptable to a point as it's a design flaw rather than QC problem - even though the bearing is lubricated there will be some forces pulling the inner ring that might unscrew it - there should be more than just one screw IMO (a short pin that locks it for example). ETA 2824 seems to have the same design flaw, and so does Seiko (although it's designed a bit different). The trouble with Vostok watches is that many parts are still assembled manually and it depends on the workers precision if the watch will or will not work properly for many years. And unfortunately (sorry if someone gets offended) Russian workers are still often a bit careless, probably more than workers in many other counries in the world. And according to an old watchmaker lubrication has always been rather bad in USSR-made watches. He says that the parts' quality was usually very fine, but lubrication dreadful. It seems not much has changed since then...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi all, if I remove the 2416B automatic wind rotor assembly will I able to use it as a manual wind watch?
I believe so. As far as I've seen, the 2416b is just a 2414A handwinder with an auto module attached. I can say that I took the auto winding module off my Rodina when it began CLANKing loudly, and it works excellently.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That's a common thing to do. The only problem is that there will be no resistance as the spring slips on the barrel wall. So there is no real way to tell if it's already fully wound or not - you may try to hear the mainspring slipping, but it's not easy...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Still it's well known taht fine international sellers, both to avoid trouble and have a good reputation test their watches before they sell them. This is why Vostok watches bought from such repurtable sellers are so good. I've seen 5 brand new Vostoks and one VE made in 2009-2010 and only one of these had no problem with the movement at all. Some of the problems are minor, can be ignored by a less 'experienced' user, but here's the list:

K-34 - spinning rotor and damaged directional cluch (the one right next to the ratchet wheel)
Amphibian - after a month the rotor stopped moveing in one direction completely (stuck reverser)
VE - after about a year the rotor started spinning craizily (bad lubrication of the reversers)
another Amphibain - stopped working after about 5 minutes without a good reason (the watchmaker simply removed and reassembled the balance assembly and it started working again - weird)
Kremlyevskie - after a few months the rotor would move very slowly in one direction (stuck reverser)
another K-34 - this one appears to be fine by far (1yr now)

I'm not joking. I know it's not THAT bad, it's just me and my luck and the seller got the "domestic" issues and wouldn't test them before selling (and at least two of them were bad on arrival), but there is something wrong with Vostok quality. There also seem to be realtively many complaints on MBs compared to the amount of new Vostoks owned by the members. Volmax's watches seem to be way ahead...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.