WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

24hr or 12hr time

• 24hr

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • 12hr

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • whichever is factory default (dont care)

Votes: 1 1.1%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which time mode does your G prefer? 24 (military) or 12 hour time?

As far as me, even though I grew up in a military family, I get a little confused after 1300 hours:-s so I prefer 12 hour time.

Sometimes in the morning, I will put my watch in 12 hour time just to add the extra little 24hr icon in the display. I just realized how much that last line made me sound like the watch nerd that I am.:-!

William

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Isn't there already a thread/poll on this?

BTW, I'm ex-military so I always go with 24hr when available.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I always go with 12 now that I have been out of the military for awhile. I started going back to 12 hour when people kept asking me to translate for them what I meant when I said 1700, or ask me to interpret my watch that they just read the time off of.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm ex-military too (conscription), so I'm more comfortable with the 24-hr format.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think I started using 24 hour when I got my first digital watch that supported it. Now I use it on all my digitals. Obviously, not on the analogues. Not sure why. Way back then it may have been different/neat/cool/etc. Now it is habbit.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
In the U.K., we have generally stuck to the 12 hour system, a habit that dates from way back. The services and Trafic Control use Zulu time, presumably to avoid problems with both friend and foe when it comes to timing but otherwise a lot of civilians would rarely use the 24 hour format, unless they do a lot of traveling abroad.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been using the "24" time for many years--I am not military, but in my area of interest/education, this system, like the metric system, makes more sense. It is not that hard to get used to--we Americans seem so afraid of change!:)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
24h of course, its the logical choice on a digital watch.

regards, holger

·
Registered
915 Posts
I grew up on 12hr time, so I am more familiar with the 12hr time, but I don't mind the military time. Household uses 12hr time, most people where I am would get confused with the military time.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Due to my job I think in 24 hour so naturally thats what I have on the watch. It took a while to get used to ( always had to convert it to 12hr in my head!) but it's second nature now.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
In the U.K., we have generally stuck to the 12 hour system, a habit that dates from way back. The services and Trafic Control use Zulu time, presumably to avoid problems with both friend and foe when it comes to timing but otherwise a lot of civilians would rarely use the 24 hour format, unless they do a lot of traveling abroad.
Don't forget bus and train timetables in the UK. They're all in 24hr too.

I think here we do the odd thing where we might write the time in 24hr, but generally speak it in 12hr. So on satellite TV the screen is showing the time of a program as 20:00, but the announcer says "8 o'clock".

Actually, now I think of it, one thing that annoys me is that TV listings magazines here all seem to be in 12hr, whereas the devices you actually use them for (TV, PVR etc.) all seem to be in 24hr.

Anyway, I can work equally well in both. When I was a kid, I deliberately set my watch to 24hr. After a short while, I got to the point where I could think in both simultaneously, without having to translate. In fact, I believe that I actually think to myself in 24hr, though introspection is kinda hard to be sure about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
During NASA shuttle missions, I keep one of the G-digis set 24hr Zulu (GMT) in world time mode, for when they say a task or milestone is coming up, other than that, its 12hr most of the time.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I've always used 24hr, and always thought that this was because it seems the better choice from a practical point of view. No confusion over whether it's mornign or afternoon. However, this started a lot of bells ringing:

I will put my watch in 12 hour time just to add the extra little 24hr icon in the display.
I think perhaps this was the real reason I started using 24hr. :-d

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Grew up with the 12hr format too. Presently using the 12. But I wouldnt mind the 24 though.;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts