WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a watch from a friend to feed my new-found obsession with watches. It was a Rado Conway that I got for a steal since it was not running, so I thought it just had to be serviced.
070405-11-1.JPG
I went to the repair shop and apparently the balance wheel is broken and it will take $250 to fix it. The exact model of the watch that I have is pretty hard to find online, but the cost of the watch is usually around the $150 range. Is $250 for a balance wheel replacement normal or am I just being scammed?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
It's not clear if that includes servicing, but if it does that sounds quite reasonable.

For future reference, a watch that needs servicing should still work -- just not well (or it might work okay but be slowly damaging components). A watch that doesn't work probably needs repairs.

If the watch is only $150 new, though, you must have got it pretty much for free if you thought you'd be saving any money after getting it serviced. I don't think I'd even bother servicing a $150 watch unless it had sentimental value or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts